New Member, New 55, Transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member - first post. I am in Australia and have just picked up a 55, happy days. Was "End Rusted" in the early days so pretty good for rust, and the seller had step by step photos of the roof and guard rust repairs. Within 24hrs the Transfer case had died in a significant way - lots of loud noises. Pulled cover plate off - zero oil!!. Bit disappointing as I had paid a mechanic to go over the car, as I was flying in from interstate to buy it. They have been fairly good and have admitted they missed the transfer case oils and will help out.

I have already found a second-hand Transfer case. My questions are:
the "new" transfer case has a crossmember mounted to it, but the "old" one in the car does not? Should a 1976 FJ55 have the crossmember mount?
I would like to put a rebuild kit through the "new" case - can only find ebay suppliers with stock in Australia - has anyone used an Ebay kit and can you recommend the brand or seller??

Thanks
Matt

20230310_161654.jpg

20230312_151038.jpg

20230311_161141.jpg

20230313_075246.jpg

Factory there was no crossmember on the FJ55. When the 55 ended the 60 series started. Those have a crossmember under the transmission. V8 conversions did use a crossmember that bolted to the back of the transfer case. Those used the six bolts for the transmission tailshaft cover.

Factory there was no crossmember on the FJ55. When the 55 ended the 60 series started. Those have a crossmember under the transmission. V8 conversions did use a crossmember that bolted to the back of the transfer case. Those used the six bolts for the transmission tailshaft cover.
Thanks and yep, that explains it, this transfer case was used with a small block conversion in its former life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom