New member lx470 engine noise with serpentine belt off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a follow up report on timing belt kit replace. Got old parts back nothing seemed near failure. Tensioner is rusty tensioner bearing has a lttle play water pump is smooth belt looks like plenty life left must of been idler bearing making the noise as it has a slight change in sound as you spin it. If i knew what the condition the parts were in I would have waited to have the service done but the noise was there now it isn't.
Any other vehicle that I have had I would have ignored until it got worse I blame this website. I'll split the bill with you guys I'm gonna start a gofundme page.
IMG_2064.JPG

Yeah, you should have just driven to failure. Some owners, do just that. It's best "they" do not come here and :cry: about concerns. As most here in mud, give advise that increase reliability and reduce long term maintenance cost.

If it was mine, I'd been happy I did the service. I'd also have address the apparent oil leak, which it may or may not have been the sources of belt contamination. I'd also corrected, the all to common pitting of engine block back of water pump gasket, they just get worst otherwise. You did have done, didn't you!. I also made sure the threads of tension pulley sealed as your apparently were, but are they now.

The old Aisin kit (your ~7 yr old sticker) came with a tensioner. The rusty one in your pictures looks much older, likely ~25 yr old factory.
The belt and each pulley surface it rides on, shows signs of a contamination. That too makes sounds, reduce life and should not be there.
Tensioner bearing should not have any play, and do not usually at only 30K miles (most do not at 90K). Either older than 30k, a non OE bearing, defective and or containment belt (vibration) reduced its life.
Idler bearing as with any bearing, should not have any sounds when spun. So that was, at least part of your sound. They just get worst and fast at that point. Not likely last for another 40K miles, but who can say for sure.

Let's us know when you setup the go "F " me page. I'll be sure to take the time, to add my 2 cent!

If you get stranded by the road due to an engine failure (bearing reated), the towing charges, accommodation, repair (not at your favorite shop) etc., will add up to easy $3000.

Wow, so reading my last two lines again I come off as an ungrateful ass not my intent. What I was trying to convey was how I care more about this vehicle than others in my possession and respect for this website and its members dedication to the unyielding maintenance of a superior 4x4 It was an attempt at humor that not surprisingly fell flat as I am not funny or as my mother always said not very bright. My bad.

If you get stranded by the road due to an engine failure (bearing reated), the towing charges, accommodation, repair (not at your favorite shop) etc., will add up to easy $3000.
I'm glad i had it done not something I would want to worry about camped in a remote canyon where recovery itself would be very expensive.

Yeah, you should have just driven to failure. Some owners, do just that. It's best "they" do not come here and :cry: about concerns. As most here in mud, give advise that increase reliability and reduce long term maintenance cost.

If it was mine, I'd been happy I did the service. I'd also have address the apparent oil leak, which it may or may not have been the sources of belt contamination. I'd also corrected, the all to common pitting of engine block back of water pump gasket, they just get worst otherwise. You did have done, didn't you!. I also made sure the threads of tension pulley sealed as your apparently were, but are they now.

The old Aisin kit (your ~7 yr old sticker) came with a tensioner. The rusty one in your pictures looks much older, likely ~25 yr old factory.
The belt and each pulley surface it rides on, shows signs of a contamination. That too makes sounds, reduce life and should not be there.
Tensioner bearing should not have any play, and do not usually at only 30K miles (most do not at 90K). Either older than 30k, a non OE bearing, defective and or containment belt (vibration) reduced its life.
Idler bearing as with any bearing, should not have any sounds when spun. So that was, at least part of your sound. They just get worst and fast at that point. Not likely last for another 40K miles, but who can say for sure.

Let's us know when you setup the go "F " me page. I'll be sure to take the time, to add my 2 cent!
Again thanks for your observations. I am glad I had it done. I hope the mechanic did address the oil leak pitting and thread sealer. I did read about those things but didn't want to tell mechanic how to do the job maybe I should have as you can tell I'm not real good at communicating.
I agree with your assessment of old parts. Time will tell if mechanic put new kit in properly or not

2001LC, what you said about the Aisin kit really is really making thinking twice as I'm about to order, since I'm not keen on whether the parts are good or subpar, maybe I should just get ALL Toyota OEM parts in case something fails and having to pay my mechanic to open back up and replace again. He will only honor Original OEM, not those Aisin kits if I bring my own parts.

My understanding is that the aisin kit is oem as toyota sources parts that they don't make from other companies like aisin mitsuboshi koyo etc. The aisin tkt-021 is a proven kit that is recommended here by many. I had a failure at 30000 miles but it is unknown what parts were replaced and which were not. Clearly the rusty tensioner was not replaced and possibly the tensioner bearing. As 2001lc points out there was an oil leak contamination that you can see in the picture as a dark line on belt and bearing surfaces. My failure was most likely due to contamination and unknown age of parts not the quality of an aisin kit.

Not sure where you got the "sub pulley" comment. Landarcht did question if the aisin kit parts are subpar. My understanding from reading on this website is that aisin kit parts are oem quality if sourced from known venders. Some have questioned the contents of less expensive kits from amazon ebay.

Keep in mind that AISIN Kits should be purchased from a reputable known supplier or better an authorized distributor. Amazon and Ebay are not the best sources for these kits or any OES or OEM parts IMO, and more often than not have sellers that ship counterfeit kits. Buyer beware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom