New member lx470 engine noise with serpentine belt off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello muddahs I’ve had a number of old 4x4s over the years this is my first Toyota

Seen a fj60 parked at the local parts store and really loved the 80s look and how well built it appeared so started doing research on Landcruisers so when a high mileage lx470 in my price range popped up on marketplace I grabbed it

I like going to somewhat remote places and highway travel to mountains the lc100 platform seemed a good fit now that I’ve been driving it a bit and got a small sample of capabilities in stock form I love it

It’s a 1998 lx470 with 262000 miles not much rust and fairly well maintained I believe but by a private mechanic so not a lot for records.

So far I’ve bled and replaced ahc fluid got pressures to spec went from 7 graduations to 9 replaced heater tees torqued spark plugs flushed and replaced leaky power steering hose all following guidance from this forum

Searched but couldn’t find a case like mine where bearing noise continued with serp belt off timing belt was changed with an aisin kit in 2016 at 233000 miles before I pay to have a new kit installed was wondering if the noise could be caused by anything but a failure in the timing belt system. only on cold start goes away after 5 min should I be worried? I realize belt is on in video but didn't want to take it off again in case i didn't get any responses
IMG_2037.JPG

Good looking 98!

With belt off not only check the idler & tensioner bearing. But give the fan a spin, which will spin the fan bracket. Also grab fan bracket pulley and check for any up down play.

Last edited:
Good looking 98!

With belt off not only check the idler & tensioner bearing. But give the fan a spin, which will spin the fan bracket. Also grab fan bracket pulley and check for any up down play.

Why thank you I like the smoky topaz but the pic doesn't show the clearcoat peeling on the hood.
I'll take the belt off tomorrow spin all those bearings and take another video. Hopefully you'll stop by again to hear noise without belt .

Thanks for the response I will definitely pull the belt and check all those things you mention I’ve had the belt off to replace clutch fan and started motor noise was there as I recall but will make sure and take video

If the noises continue with the accessory belt off I think it would have to be timing belt related. Do you know if all the idlers and the water pump were replaced at the time?

Not 100 percent but I talked to the service manager and he said that they would have done the kit but he didn't have the maintenance record. All i have is the aisin sticker on air intake.
IMG_1915.JPG

Sounds while cold are early warnings, which your smart to be looking into.

A local I had just warned his fan bracket (FB) was bad, and fan clutch weak. Took upon himself to replace fan clutch only. Doing so, without removing belt. We do n'ot if there was an install error. But fan bracket shaft sheared off, shortly thereafter. Unfortunately while someone else was driving, and they keep driving. The engine over-heat and damage cylinders. Blowing the engine!

So many shop do not replace FB while doing the T-belt. Easiest way to check FB, while belt on and engine running. Is with HF $5 mechanics stethoscope. I find a spot with stethoscope prob, very close the center of bracket where the shaft runs through its bearing, while engine running. Careful to not let prob touch anything but FB. Sound should be smooth, no chirp of sandy sounds. I check the idler, tensioner bearings and alternator at same time. If I hear chirps, belt comes off to further check the 4 and the belt's grooves. Then run engine to check T-belt pulley's.

A few more thoughts:
Not all Aisin T-belt kit are packed the same. Some sub the pulley's, which I reject.
The belts can also make sounds. Most time they get wet, and squeal as they dry. A good belt will not squeal wet or as they dry.
Belts and pulleys, can also get a section with embedded sand or some foreign matter. Another thing I do during T-belt service is clean groove of dr belt and all pulley's. i.e harmonic balancer, compressor, vane pump, alternator, idler & tensioner.

I would say as a next step, pull the accessory belt and start the truck and post of video of what that sounds like. That might help clear up the noise a bit since the original video has the accessory belt still on and it is a bit hard to identify.

Sounds while cold are early warnings, which your smart to be looking into.

A local I had just warned his fan bracket (FB) was bad, and fan clutch weak. Took upon himself to replace fan clutch only. Doing so, without removing belt. We do n'ot if there was an install error. But fan bracket shaft sheared off, shortly thereafter. Unfortunately while someone else was driving, and they keep driving. The engine over-heat and damage cylinders. Blowing the engine!

So many shop do not replace FB while doing the T-belt. Easiest way to check FB, while belt on and engine running. Is with HF $5 mechanics stethoscope. I find a spot with stethoscope prob, very close the center of bracket where the shaft runs through its bearing, while engine running. Careful to not let prob touch anything but FB. Sound should be smooth, no chirp of sandy sounds. I check the idler, tensioner bearings and alternator at same time. If I hear chirps, belt comes off to further check the 4 and the belt's grooves. Then run engine to check T-belt pulley's.

A few more thoughts:
Not all Aisin T-belt kit are packed the same. Some sub the pulley's, which I reject.
The belts can also make sounds. Most time they get wet, and squeal as they dry. A good belt will not squeal wet or as they dry.
Belts and pulleys, can also get a section with embedded sand or some foreign matter. Another thing I do during T-belt service is clean groove of dr belt and all pulley's. i.e harmonic balancer, compressor, vane pump, alternator, idler & tensioner.
Keep driving with fan bracket sheared off yikes! Big price to pay for not following good advice
I did get the stethoscope and probed a few places but need to be more methodical about it like you outlined above
There is no way of knowing what parts they used without taking it apart which may have to happen but want to diagnose as much as possible first. I’m planning on checking those 4 bearings and making notes after work today
Appreciate your expertise and response

I would say as a next step, pull the accessory belt and start the truck and post of video of what that sounds like. That might help clear up the noise a bit since the original video has the accessory belt still on and it is a bit hard to identify.
I agree the belt needs to be off for next video of rotational chirping or whining sound so I’m thinking run it this evening for probe diagnosis of drive belt pulleys and fan bracket then pull belt and start tomorrow morning for video

So I started motor with belt on got the rotational whine and used stethoscope on the bearings no chirping but tensioner bearing and alternator sounded gravelly. I pulled the belt and spun the bearings by hand alternator and fan bracket felt good but tensioner and idler probably need replaced
Gonna start tomorrow morning to see if i get chirp with belt off

This is the video I should have made for original post. 25 degrees this morning.

Will be interesting to see what is issue, when you do the T-belt service. Bad kit with sub parts? Poor install job? Defective part prematurly failing?

Will be interesting to see what is issue, when you do the T-belt service. Bad kit with sub parts? Poor install job? Defective part prematurly failing?
I’m curious too but don’t want to do it myself so will ask for parts back.
Gonna get a couple quotes I don’t have a regular mechanic as I’ve done the maintenance on all my old clunkers
Got a quote from Toyota dealer for $1400 thought that sounds reasonable but they wanted to do a diagnosis first and said they didn’t hear it and wrote up $9000 in other repairs they would do so don’t know about those guys.

I’m curious too but don’t want to do it myself so will ask for parts back.
Gonna get a couple quotes I don’t have a regular mechanic as I’ve done the maintenance on all my old clunkers
Got a quote from Toyota dealer for $1400 thought that sounds reasonable but they wanted to do a diagnosis first and said they didn’t hear it and wrote up $9000 in other repairs they would do so don’t know about those guys.
If I was to do this myself I would replace things like radiator hoses drive belt tensioner bearing thermostat but I’m afraid having a shop do that would drive up the bill on parts costs and possibly even labor. So would it be advisable to have shop do aisin kit 021 cam and crank seals and fan bracket only ? Leaving the rest for me later.

I get your thinking with saving money by doing certain things yourself. Unfortunately, for the timing belt the radiator hoses and the tensioner need to be removed to perform the service so there likely is little saving associated with you doing those.

I get your thinking with saving money by doing certain things yourself. Unfortunately, for the timing belt the radiator hoses and the tensioner need to be removed to perform the service so there likely is little saving associated with you doing those.
True they have to come off anyway should be no charge for labor but they may charge more for parts than I could source myself just have to call and ask I suppose
Thanks for the advise

Got a quote for $1600 to include aisin 021 kit fan bracket and cam and crank seals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom