New Member: LX 470 Starter Kit! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thrilled to be a part of this forum. Recently bought a 2005 LX470 with ~195K. Absolutely love it. I have repaired all of the cliché items that you would expect with the help of this forum. Could not have done it without. List of repairs below. Glad to discuss details on any of them.

1. Classic bad windshield replacement by PO
-Replaced screws with sealing rivets, stopped leak into driver floorboard​
-Replaced bent side moldings (partsouq)​
-installed automatic wiper gel sticker to get auto wipers to work again​
2. VSC/Brake light/buzzer intermittent
-after much debate, replaced entire master cylinder/booster pump assembly. Fixed the problem. Have the old unit if anyone is interested. Might list it in classifieds. Pump/motor work fine, believe issue was high resistance on pump motor wiring from corrosion. Never had any actual bake degradation or failures. New unit from McGeorge Toyota ~$1500​
-Got techstream from Amazon and was able to bleed brakes single handed. No issues.​
3. Gas gauge not accurate
-replaced sending unit, Toyota part from ebay ~$100 after shipping. Cured the problem. Gage and range are accurate now.​
4. Rear subwoofer (ML system) was missing???
-replaced with 6.5 Dayton Audio. Originally installed 4ohm, it overheated amp and made it cut out when bass hit. Replaced with 8 ohm and all is good. Lots of bass now. Took some trimming on speaker frame. Still not thrilled with the overall sound in front. Work in progress. I have the 4 Ohm speaker if anyone is interested.​
5. Programmed keys
-Was able to take guts out of old GX key and reprogram to LX. Did it without using Techstream via the physically method of opening/closing doors, etc.​

For now, everything is operating great. Again I could not have done it without this group and the willingness of others to post their experiences and expertise. Please reach out if you have any questions on my repairs.

-replaced with 6.5 Dayton Audio. Originally installed 4ohm, it overheated amp and made it cut out when bass hit. Replaced with 8 ohm and all is good. Lots of bass now. Took some trimming on speaker frame. Still not thrilled with the overall sound in front. Work in progress. I have the 4 Ohm speaker if anyone is interested.​

I need to do this! How excessive is the trimming?

Not too bad. The actual hole that receives the speaker is not round. It is closer to square. See picture. The speaker metal frame is round so you basically have to cut the corners off. First one I did with a Dremel, second I did with a big sander. Be careful about it getting too hot and melting the foam. Also, you might consider the 6" speaker instead of 6.5. Could make an adapter.

Speaker opening.jpg

What model number on the dayton sub? I am looking to replace mine in my 07. Thx!

Thrilled to be a part of this forum. Recently bought a 2005 LX470 with ~195K. Absolutely love it. I have repaired all of the cliché items that you would expect with the help of this forum. Could not have done it without. List of repairs below. Glad to discuss details on any of them.

1. Classic bad windshield replacement by PO
-Replaced screws with sealing rivets, stopped leak into driver floorboard​
-Replaced bent side moldings (partsouq)​
-installed automatic wiper gel sticker to get auto wipers to work again​
2. VSC/Brake light/buzzer intermittent
-after much debate, replaced entire master cylinder/booster pump assembly. Fixed the problem. Have the old unit if anyone is interested. Might list it in classifieds. Pump/motor work fine, believe issue was high resistance on pump motor wiring from corrosion. Never had any actual bake degradation or failures. New unit from McGeorge Toyota ~$1500​
-Got techstream from Amazon and was able to bleed brakes single handed. No issues.​
3. Gas gauge not accurate
-replaced sending unit, Toyota part from ebay ~$100 after shipping. Cured the problem. Gage and range are accurate now.​
5. Programmed keys
-Was able to take guts out of old GX key and reprogram to LX. Did it without using Techstream via the physically method of opening/closing doors, etc.​

For now, everything is operating great. Again I could not have done it without this group and the willingness of others to post their experiences and expertise. Please reach out if you have any questions on my repairs.

Hey Nedmack, I also have an 05 LX 470. Explain this mod for me please, >installed automatic wiper gel sticker to get auto wipers to work again. Thanks

Hey Nedmack, I also have an 05 LX 470. Explain this mod for me please, >installed automatic wiper gel sticker to get auto wipers to work again. Thanks
Lots of other more detailed threads on this subject if you search. In short, there is a piece of gel tape that goes between the auto wiper sensor (behind your rear view mirror) and the windshield glass. Some folks forget to replace it when they replace the windshield. If it is not installed your auto wipers either don't work or go haywire. Mine was missing. Sensor was loose and rattled around. I both this: Amazon product ASIN B01LZI9ORQ
PN: 89944-50011

Easy to install. Make sure both surfaces are very clean. Fixed my issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom