new member introduction - BJ73 - Dan from Romania (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I'm an 47 year offroad junkie, doing mostly quick weekend trips and competing in local OffRoad competitions.
I had a Vitara and I wanted more a classic car so I bought a '86 BJ73 from a friend. Now I have a Vitara 2.0i for competitions and BJ73 as a "restoration" project.

Car is "2.4 VM Motori" (i know, I didn't research enough), engine purrs nicely after i've re-worked the cooling and such.
Upgrades include - IronMan Suspensions and lift kit, Dragon Winch, Safari Snorkel, TRE air lockers front and back, racing seats, OMP steering wheel, Vintage Terratrip, rollcage extended in front, 33" wheels.

Right now the car is beat up - next month it's scheduled for a full restoration of body and paint.

1660580303015.png

1660580638086.png

I would like some suggestions regarding paint - one color or two tone ?

I'd go one colour. IMHO the 73/74 series always look really good with the FRP top painted the same as the rest but I'm not sure how well paint sticks to it.

One thing to think about if doing panel & paint work is to chop out the area from under the tail lights forward to the wheel arches - this is commonly a rusty spot & just removing it & putting in a higher 'floor' means you can wrap the back bumper around under there & mount it directly across to the chassis.

i-9p7CXVj-S.jpg

Cheers
Clint

The 73/74 is already a classic vehicle and in the end, the classic look wins.... and that would be two-tone like factory. Just my opinion. However, if it was a hardtop like the 70/71, I'd go one color.

Last edited:
Welcome!
I have a 1985 BJ73 3B. It was resprayed in a dark grey, body and FRP top.
I personally find it a bit boring that way.
I would like to do the top in a lighter gray with a little blueish tint. And I would have the LandCruiser imprint on the top in the same dark color like the body, to give a contrast.

The FRPtop can be sprayed, but it requires good preparation and a special primer. No big deal for a professional, but probably hard for a DIY. On my top, the paint comes off at some edges.
Cheers Ralf

Welcome!
I have a 1985 BJ73 3B. It was resprayed in a dark grey, body and FRP top.
I personally find it a bit boring that way.
I would like to do the top in a lighter gray with a little blueish tint. And I would have the LandCruiser imprint on the top in the same dark color like the body, to give a contrast.

The FRPtop can be sprayed, but it requires good preparation and a special primer. No big deal for a professional, but probably hard for a DIY. On my top, the paint comes off at some edges.
Cheers Ralf
Mine is white top and bottom (probably resprayed, both...) with side decals.
I would like the body in "sand" yellow/brown, and the top white, definitely the Landcruiser imprint in body color as Ralf stated.
I will wait till budget approves.
Good luck
Omri

Hello,

You can also leave the top in white.

Regardless of your color choice, make sure you paint the LAND CRUISER lettering in blue or a color that complements the top's color.

Juan

Hi,

I'm an 47 year offroad junkie, doing mostly quick weekend trips and competing in local OffRoad competitions.
I had a Vitara and I wanted more a classic car so I bought a '86 BJ73 from a friend. Now I have a Vitara 2.0i for competitions and BJ73 as a "restoration" project.

Car is "2.4 VM Motori" (i know, I didn't research enough), engine purrs nicely after i've re-worked the cooling and such.
Upgrades include - IronMan Suspensions and lift kit, Dragon Winch, Safari Snorkel, TRE air lockers front and back, racing seats, OMP steering wheel, Vintage Terratrip, rollcage extended in front, 33" wheels.

Right now the car is beat up - next month it's scheduled for a full restoration of body and paint.

View attachment 3087384
View attachment 3087390

I would like some suggestions regarding paint - one color or two tone ?
Welcome to mud !!
But Dude really, get off my lawn 🤣 Broski

back, almost one year later :)
I got the car back from the paint shop, two tones.
body restoration and paint : 2000$ (job took 10 months)

1688559873165.png
1688559922047.png

1688560118788.png

Changed the rims with some 15" chromed and 33" BF Goodrich AT tires - since I don't plan to do heavy offroading. (300$ the rims, 1000$ the tires)
For the same reason I ditched the front bumper with the winch and replaced it with a stock metal bumper. Not chromed as they charge here insane prices for the parts - 100$ for a front bumper and 2-300$ for a chromed version with various dents.
Inside rollcage is at the paint shop for the moment - i'm not sure if i'[ll keep it full or only the back rollbar)
I've purchased some leather seats from scrapyard, soon to be fitted.

Since I have the 2.5 VM engine (HR588HT) I will need some guidance from the forum regarding troubleshooting some issues.

Right now I plan to flush and clean the cooling system since the water looks reddinsh from the rust.

How can I remove any air pockets from the cooling system ?

Nice to see an update! Outside looks good.

As for burping the coolant, just buy one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B01A2CQSU6
Cheap and should do the the trick.

However as everyone who seems to have one of these, plan/save for an engine swap. It’s coming. Drive it until she dies but be ready.

Pretty sure these have the course spline h55f so a 12ht would bolt right to that. However those are older engines and tougher to find although excellent.

Wanting to keep it diesel? I’d get a 15bf from a coaster bus and find a B style h55f. Would be a great engine for this 73.

1HZ is an option as well just for parts availability alone. Good engine, still being made so tons of parts. Just swap out the input shaft on the transmission to the 1HZ style.

That motor will make a good boat anchor 😂

You may want to pick a little more original handle 🤷‍♂️

Nice to see an update! Outside looks good.

As for burping the coolant, just buy one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B01A2CQSU6
Cheap and should do the the trick.

However as everyone who seems to have one of these, plan/save for an engine swap. It’s coming. Drive it until she dies but be ready.

Pretty sure these have the course spline h55f so a 12ht would bolt right to that. However those are older engines and tougher to find although excellent.

Wanting to keep it diesel? I’d get a 15bf from a coaster bus and find a B style h55f. Would be a great engine for this 73.

1HZ is an option as well just for parts availability alone. Good engine, still being made so tons of parts. Just swap out the input shaft on the transmission to the 1HZ style.
Well, the local community does engine swaps like socks - the problem is the legislation (you are not allowed to change engine to a car with a different model/make)
So, at 3500$ I can change it with a 3L 1-KZTE and erase the serial number , update the papers with "engine with no serial" or get a M57 BMW from a X5 and call pray not to encounter any thorough traffic inspection.

Well, I have this handle since the the '80s - (family name is "Broscoi" - so that's a short ride to brosky.
My little sister has been calling me Broski long before the 80s Like I said get off my lawn :flipoff2:

Well, the local community does engine swaps like socks - the problem is the legislation (you are not allowed to change engine to a car with a different model/make)
So, at 3500$ I can change it with a 3L 1-KZTE and erase the serial number , update the papers with "engine with no serial" or get a M57 BMW from a X5 and call pray not to encounter any thorough traffic inspection.
Any 60series m57 conversions done over there yet. Seems like a big nissan, land rover market so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom