New Member Intro (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and 80-series. I'm a mechanical engineer who loves fixing things. I used to have a mid-travel 2007 FJ Cruiser that I rolled over and totalled (my username was is a carry over from the FJ forums and was made before the roll over). I bought my 1993 Land Cruiser yesterday from a friend of coworker. It's a salvage title but has been on the road for years and has been decently well maintained (other than the exterior). And since the price for the vehicle was quite low, it seemed worthwhile to take the chance on a salvage title. My wife and I decided to pull the trigger on the purchase since our international travel is going to be highly limited for awhile it seems. So instead of flying, we are going to be driving on our next few vacations.

This cruiser is triple-locked with the CDL button added. There are a few downsides/issues that I've already bought (or was given) parts to fix. The valve cover is leaking a bit (previous owner gave me the gasket kit he bought to fix this), there is a power steering leak I need to track down, the tires are shot (already at the shop getting Yokohama Geolandar MT's in 285/75R16), the bushings are shot (bushings on order and some provided by previous owner), the speedometer/odometer stopped working about 6 months ago during the previous owner's last trip to Baja with this vehicle (I need to figure this out), and finally the front seats are torn and the sliders don't work. I guess it is also missing a bumper but a new one is going on very soon anyways.

So far I've ordered a 2" Dobinson's lift, caster bushings, SST braided extended brake lines, radius arm bushings, Dobinson's rear lower trailing arms, Dobinson's front panhard bar, and some new tires as mentioned above. The previous owner had purchased but not installed valve cover gasket, fuel filter, sway bar bushings, all the brakes, and every belt in duplicate (not sure why in duplicate but now I have spares and can fix the squeaky belt).

From what I've read on here so far, I'm excited to meet people and gain a bunch of knowledge on 80-series vehicles!

Michael

IMG_20200902_095917.jpg

IMG_20200902_095909.jpg

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and 80-series. I'm a mechanical engineer who loves fixing things. I used to have a mid-travel 2007 FJ Cruiser that I rolled over and totalled (my username was is a carry over from the FJ forums and was made before the roll over). I bought my 1993 Land Cruiser yesterday from a friend of coworker. It's a salvage title but has been on the road for years and has been decently well maintained (other than the exterior). And since the price for the vehicle was quite low, it seemed worthwhile to take the chance on a salvage title. My wife and I decided to pull the trigger on the purchase since our international travel is going to be highly limited for awhile it seems. So instead of flying, we are going to be driving on our next few vacations.

This cruiser is triple-locked with the CDL button added. There are a few downsides/issues that I've already bought (or was given) parts to fix. The valve cover is leaking a bit (previous owner gave me the gasket kit he bought to fix this), there is a power steering leak I need to track down, the tires are shot (already at the shop getting Yokohama Geolandar MT's in 285/75R16), the bushings are shot (bushings on order and some provided by previous owner), the speedometer/odometer stopped working about 6 months ago during the previous owner's last trip to Baja with this vehicle (I need to figure this out), and finally the front seats are torn and the sliders don't work. I guess it is also missing a bumper but a new one is going on very soon anyways.

So far I've ordered a 2" Dobinson's lift, caster bushings, SST braided extended brake lines, radius arm bushings, Dobinson's rear lower trailing arms, Dobinson's front panhard bar, and some new tires as mentioned above. The previous owner had purchased but not installed valve cover gasket, fuel filter, sway bar bushings, all the brakes, and every belt in duplicate (not sure why in duplicate but now I have spares and can fix the squeaky belt).

From what I've read on here so far, I'm excited to meet people and gain a bunch of knowledge on 80-series vehicles!

Michael

View attachment 2424437

View attachment 2424442

Welcome! Im new to the forum as well and new to 80 series. I have a 4runner v8 4th gen that I still build up and work on but have always wanted an 80 so I took the plunge a few weeks back. You’re also in the Bay Area!

Welcome to the madness. Was this a California truck its whole life?

Be sure to baseline your cooling system, go through your heater hoses/control valve, keep an eye on that rad and fan clutch performance.

Your front crank/oil pump cover is probably leaking, many of these parts you can order proper kits of from @NLXTACY / Wits' End, Solutions for Problems You Didn't Know You Had

You and your wallet are forever ruined, but there is nothing like it.

Welcome. Funny I have been reading the forum since I bought my 97, 14 years ago but finally joined it 3 days ago. (who said I have commitment issues) The amount of shared knowledge is amazing and everyone I have met over the years with an 80 has been great.

Welcome to the madness. Was this a California truck its whole life?

Be sure to baseline your cooling system, go through your heater hoses/control valve, keep an eye on that rad and fan clutch performance.

Your front crank/oil pump cover is probably leaking, many of these parts you can order proper kits of from @NLXTACY / Wits' End, Solutions for Problems You Didn't Know You Had

You and your wallet are forever ruined, but there is nothing like it.

Thanks for the tips! The pesky heater hose blew about a year ago apparently and was replaced. I've ordered a whole set up radiator hoses already. I'll have to take a closer look at the oil pump cover.

As for my wallet... that was already screaming in agony but I'm excited to take this camping in the next couple of weeks.

Welcome! You should wash it haha. You may just need to adjust the nylon end caps on the seat rails. I found mine would spin out freely once then lock the seat still. once i put them in and created a set screw to hold them in place they work great.

If you are going be spending that time getting seats out and work on them, and you plan on taking trips in it. You really should get a tarp and pull all the carpet to wash on it. You will want to get all the filth out and you don't want to have to keep taking the seats out.

Welcome! You should wash it haha. You may just need to adjust the nylon end caps on the seat rails. I found mine would spin out freely once then lock the seat still. once i put them in and created a set screw to hold them in place they work great.

If you are going be spending that time getting seats out and work on them, and you plan on taking trips in it. You really should get a tarp and pull all the carpet to wash on it. You will want to get all the filth out and you don't want to have to keep taking the seats out.

I'm a bit nervous to wash away the paint 😀. But yeah that is my plan for Friday (wash it, oil change, diff fluid change, trans fluid change).

The carpets are surprisingly nice but probably worth the effort of cleaning as you mentioned. Once the gears and white caps arrive for the seats I'll grab a carpet cleaner and go to town.

You will likely find stuff under the console and the trim. I probably got 5 or 10 dollars in nasty change ha.

Last edited:
If you decide to clean the carpet, I'd suggest removing it and hitting it with a pressure washer. It's not all that hard and with the carpet out you can put some sound deadening and heat protection all over the floor or rout wires etc... If nothing else do the passenger floor and your :princess: will thank you. The passenger floor gets hot because of the exhaust on long drives... :beer:

Congratulations on your truck purchase and welcome to MUD :)

@ScratchedFJ you are in for a mechanical treat with these rigs. Most everything can be rebuilt vs replaced. It is a totally different animal related to other platforms. Baselining is a great way to test the waters of what you think you are capable of. It amazes me how user friendly the designs are vs other manufacturers. It is like the engineers actually installed the parts prior to finalizing the production run. Get the roof rack off quick so the rust under there can be mitigated.

Welcome to MUD :flipoff2: (official welcome).

@ScratchedFJ you are in for a mechanical treat with these rigs. Most everything can be rebuilt vs replaced. It is a totally different animal related to other platforms. Baselining is a great way to test the waters of what you think you are capable of. It amazes me how user friendly the designs are vs other manufacturers. It is like the engineers actually installed the parts prior to finalizing the production run. Get the roof rack off quick so the rust under there can be mitigated.

Welcome to MUD :flipoff2: (official welcome).

Hey Comet,
Yeah so far I'm loving it. I am half way through replacing the radiator and hoses. I went out to do some light wrenching last night and then all of the sudden most of the front end was apart haha. The radiator was not an OEM one, was definitely leaving, and had a ton of gunk on the inside. I've been flushing a bunch this week too clean it prior to the new radiator, houses, and thermostat. It has been overheating going up a hill unless I had the heater on.

The roof rack will likely be coming off but at this point it's one of those schrodinger's cats situations.

Tires, diff fluids, brake lines, brake fluids, electric seat sliders, and belts have all been taken care of. Once the truck is running right, I have the lift kit arriving today;)

Flushing is great. There is a bolt/plug on the side of the engine ;drivers side I think) that will allow a proper flush of everything in the block. Amazing how much garbage comes out too.

Flushing is great. There is a bolt/plug on the side of the engine ;drivers side I think) that will allow a proper flush of everything in the block. Amazing how much garbage comes out too.

Yup, I've been staining from there and the petcock on the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom