New Member - IMPORTANT Steering Box Question! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. Just got into my 1991 FJ80 with 274,000 miles a couple months ago. She has clearly been neglected and I am on my way to fixing her up into an overland/hunting rig.
IMG_3381.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

I've fixed a couple small things but took on a power steering box rebuild and was succesfull.... I think.

The (maybe) big issue is that after reinstalling the gear box and after having driven 50-80 smooth miles, I was cleaning up my work bench and found 1 of the worm gear ball bearings from the steering gearbox.

Yes, I reinstalled everything without ONE missing bearing.

The truck has been running GREAT, no leaks, steering feels tighter, smoother, and more responsive etc. I will say, there is a little bit of play while sitting in park and turning the wheel left and right (maybe 1 inch both directions before the tire starts to turn), and while driving around 45-50mph sometimes I do have to make sure my steering wheel isnt slacking a bit. As i'm writing this I havent adjusted the sector shaft screw on the housing of the gearbox, which I'm told can potentially cut out any slack - I have yet to try that.

If im being honest I would have NEVER noticed that I was missing 1 ball bearing, which leads me to my question....

is this dangerous? Do I need to go back in and open it up just to put that 1 ball bearing in? Will this result in catastrophic consequences to my steering box/ truck? It has been driving just fine and don't want to do a job that isn't entirely necessary.

Sorry for all the questions... just don't want to have to take it back apart if there isn't a need to.

Please be polite, I'm new here and have posted on a forum in my life before.

Your head gasket will blow.

Check your nuts and lube your shaft.

On a more related note, I would replace it. I don't think you'd see a catastrophic failure if you don't, but I would expect it to wear faster.
Has the castor been correct after the lift? Your comment on highway handling makes me wonder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom