new member here! just droppin in to intruduce myself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i decided to introduce myself in this forum because ill prolly be spending some time in the 40 forums mainly.
im matt in 22 years old. i am very into cars. i daily drive a 01 Chevy Corvette vert and also have a project track car which is a 96 Honda Civic DX with a JDM H22A motor swap...saving up for the build on that! but anyway the reason i am here....
my dad owns a 07 FJ cruiser and he got really into off roading it and what not (pretty sure he is on here) and we went to a FJ rally here in NM...and were instantly hooked. we decided that it would be a fun project to buy an FJ40 and build it up and go wheeling together....
so time took it my dad found an 72 FJ40 and picked it up in TX for $1000...well when he brought it home....here is what it was!
IMG00231.jpg

frame and body were separated....axles are off the vehicle, tires, tranny, and 2 boxes of parts just laying around! however it did come with a "newly" rebuilt chevy SM 350 and a 4spd trans with it. so we have most of the parts...just just a matter of putting Humpty Dumpty back together!!

but we are starting with the frame, going to sandblast it clean it up replace the 2 little chunks of rust on it, and paint it for protection. then work on getting the axles together and finding some nice suspension for it and getting it to a rolling chassie. so that is our goal so far!

so yes, personally i know very little about 4X4 tech, let alone older cars. slap a honda in front of me and im good to go...but this older stuff its gonna be a learning curve for me which im really excited about!!!!! but thats why im hear im hoping to get some knowledge for some people that have built these before for some guidance and what not!

but for now i just wanted to introduce myself and say hello!

Matt

Welcome to the sickness. You'll find almost everything you need right here. With it in pieces, atleast you'll know it inside and out when you get it running.

:flipoff2:

yup hopefully! cuz thats the plan. and also we get to build it how we want it instead of finishing someone elses work!

so well see its gonna be a LONG process!!!

Mine was bone stock when I got it and I've since built it up over the last 13 years. I'd do it differently now even though I'm very happy with her the way she is. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Hi new member in need of some help please

Hi i have a Toyota Landcruiser 2.8 Diesel manual 2001, and this morning i went to go out and it won't start. The battery is good and the wipers and dash warning lights are working but it's not even turning over , tried jump starting it downhill but nothing, would really appreciate any ideas on what this could be before i go to the garage and get a large bill handed my way!!

cheers

That's what they call a "mechanic's special"!! Do you have the stock engine/ drivetrain, or going with something else? You'll catch on quick, it's just nuts, bolts and steel ! Enjoy, and keep us posted.:cheers:

Hi i have a Toyota Landcruiser 2.8 Diesel manual 2001, and this morning i went to go out and it won't start. The battery is good and the wipers and dash warning lights are working but it's not even turning over , tried jump starting it downhill but nothing, would really appreciate any ideas on what this could be before i go to the garage and get a large bill handed my way!!

cheers

Ian, you really should start a thread of your own in the appropriate section.

cheers

You are going to have better luck if you post your own thread over in the diesel section.

That's what they call a "mechanic's special"!! Do you have the stock engine/ drivetrain, or going with something else? You'll catch on quick, it's just nuts, bolts and steel ! Enjoy, and keep us posted.:cheers:

X2

I agree, in retro spect to your honda this stuff should be a walk in the park but I've got to warn you man this addiction is far worse than a civic. I was in the same boat as you, as far as, from a civic fanatic to a Forty-aholic. It's like going from many jane to the new guy " 8-ball" as your best friend or from supplements to steroids, however you look at it your going to get rid of that civic in the near future. Just a friendly warning because I sure did, sold my 92 civic hatch with JDM B16 to fund my newest FJ55 which makes three cruisers for me know in a time span of about two or so years.
Welcome to the Addiction....:D
time to start :wrench:'n
Let me know when you sale your civic. HAH:beer:

lol everyone said id be selling my civic when i got the Corvette too! i already sold one of them to buy the corvette...but hey i gotta have my drag car. and the Vette is WAY to much to track lol. but it being my dads mainly and im helping i think ill be ok!.......for now.....but i guess well see what happens when i finish the civic :lol:

I pretty much started with a parts pile, too. And now I have, well, something mostly assembled. Good luck.

congrats and welcome to your new project. great to hear you've got a project that you and your dad can enjoy together.

Welcome! Are you sure you were in the right frame of mind when you bought it?

Welcome! Are you sure you were in the right frame of mind when you bought it?

i didnt buy it :lol: and im not sure he knew exactly what we were in store for...but we are gonna take on the beast.....but maybe some good :beer: times when the build is on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom