New member- Head gasket question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings, I’m Blair. Three years ago I was gifted a 1995 FZJ80 by the second owner with 149K on the clock. Bone stock and dealer serviced, it included all service records and the PO was obsessive on maintenance. The original owner was a business that traded it in on a new LC one day before the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty expired, & my friend owned it for the next 22 years before it became mine. it was my daily driver for 11 months as GF had my truck. Put it on my friends hoist and went over all systems nose to toes, everything says Toyota or Aisin on it, nothing aftermarket. Never wrecked, and zero rust as we live in Northern Nevada. No wiring spliced, etc- completely unmolested. Went through the A/C, (expansion valve clogging) it appeared to have never even been charged. did front brakes (OEM), added NOS Rancho RS5000 shocks and a new battery along with regular oils, etc., nothing else needed. Switched to full synthetic in the motor, doesn’t use a quart between changes. Have waffeled on selling it, decided to keep her and add lockers. will be installing 285/75 /16 Toyo open countrys to her and electric lockers and that’s it. my question is the Head Gasket. No signs of trouble, but from what I’ve learned, it has entered the zone. Im moving to Tennessee this spring, and it will be towing my utility trailer loaded with tools for 2000 miles. Murphy law echoes in my head. Any advice?

This is Elsie (LC)

69899C7D-9F74-4076-8563-BD9A9A5FE403.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings, I’m Blair. Three years ago I was gifted a 1995 FZJ80 by the second owner with 149K on the clock. Bone stock and dealer serviced, it included all service records and the PO was obsessive on maintenance. The original owner was a business that traded it in on a new LC one day before the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty expired, & my friend owned it for the next 22 years before it became mine. it was my daily driver for 11 months as GF had my truck. Put it on my friends hoist and went over all systems nose to toes, everything says Toyota or Aisin on it, nothing aftermarket. Never wrecked, and zero rust as we live in Northern Nevada. No wiring spliced, etc- completely unmolested. Went through the A/C, (expansion valve clogging) it appeared to have never even been charged. did front brakes (OEM), added NOS Rancho RS5000 shocks and a new battery along with regular oils, etc., nothing else needed. Switched to full synthetic in the motor, doesn’t use a quart between changes. Have waffeled on selling it, decided to keep her and add lockers. will be installing 285/75 /16 Toyo open countrys to her and electric lockers and that’s it. my question is the Head Gasket. No signs of trouble, but from what I’ve learned, it has entered the zone. Im moving to Tennessee this spring, and it will be towing my utility trailer loaded with tools for 2000 miles. Murphy law echoes in my head. Any advice?
150K miles and up

Much discussion on the topic. My tip is always to search via google with keywords and add "ih8mud" or site:forum.ih8mud.com, as the forum search isn't great. Majority of the time, everything has been thoroughly covered and then some. Some have even said the forum should be closed, as all info already exists, hah.

Some go early, others break 300k+ without issue. Too many factors. 150k with no issues is nothing to think about, just keep your cooling system in great shape.

Last edited:
150K and up looks like when the original fails. Murphys law would dictate it will happen at the worst time, when I’m moving. I can do the work myself, I read the FSM, a lot of work but I won’t have to worry about it for a looong time😎

Much discussion on the topic. My tip is always to search via google with keywords and add "ih8mud" or site:forum.ih8mud.com
Its that research that brought me to this point

Its that research that brought me to this point
But... the answer/advice is in there, and other threads. Certainly not trying to come off negatively, but I guess I'm not sure what you're asking that isn't well covered?

My advice, as in last post, is keep your cooling system in great shape. You can also do things like leakdown test, combustion gas test, etc to search for any early signs.

Much discussion on the topic. My tip is always to search via google with keywords and add "ih8mud" or site:forum.ih8mud.com, as the forum search isn't great. Majority of the time, everything has been thoroughly covered and then some. Some have even said the forum should be closed, as all info already exists, hah.

Some go early, others break 300k+ without issue. Too many factors. 150k with no issues is nothing to think about, just keep your cooling system in great shape.
thanks for the response. A cooling system refresh is on the agenda, as well as engine and trans temp gauges.

But... the answer/advice is in there, and other threads. Certainly not trying to come off negatively, but I guess I'm not sure what you're asking that isn't well covered?

My advice, as in last post, is keep your cooling system in great shape. You can also do things like leakdown test, combustion gas test, etc to search for any early signs.
It is covered extensively, but opinions vary widely. It’s going to happen, but when? Since I plan on keeping it and have the ability and time, I think I’ll do it on my terms, not it’s. Thanks for the feedback

Nice. I love having a scangauge.

I guess that's the answer - it varies, and so do opinions. Keeping up on maintenance and monitoring/testing what you can is all you can do, really. There's no certain age/mileage, as there are far too many factors. Some do it preventatively, others monitor and wait until it shows signs, and that's up to you! Best of luck & hopefully it doesn't happen for a long time.

150K and up looks like when the original fails. Murphys law would dictate it will happen at the worst time, when I’m moving. I can do the work myself, I read the FSM, a lot of work but I won’t have to worry about it for a looong time😎
Since I plan on keeping it and have the ability and time, I think I’ll do it on my terms, not it’s.
sounds like you already made the decision before you posted, so I’m not really sure why you asked the question to begin with.

Hey, you're moving so, no big deal right now--but generally speaking, avoid posting license plate, VIN, identifiable home or place of work where vehicle is likely to be found etc., or geotagged photos. Good-condition Cruiser thefts are on the rise, and you just never know who's checking things out.

My HG went 236,000 miles without a hiccup; I'm on 237 now. Some have gone well over 300k. If time, trouble and money are not issues, do it for peace of mind. And the PHH and a few other things while you're at it. Otherwise don't overheat it and you'll 'probably' be fine for years to come. Figure on a first rebuild somewhere north of 250k...

Nice. I love having a scangauge.

I guess that's the answer - it varies, and so do opinions. Keeping up on maintenance and monitoring/testing what you can is all you can do, really. There's no certain age/mileage, as there are far too many factors. Some do it preventatively, others monitor and wait until it shows signs, and that's up to you! Best of luck & hopefully it doesn't happen for a long time.
Im gonna go the preventative route, thanks

sounds like you already made the decision before you posted, so I’m not really sure why you asked the question to begin with.
I hadn’t made any decision, as it’s a big job. I have now though, since it’s a keeper I’m doing it Thanks

Hey, you're moving so, no big deal right now--but generally speaking, avoid posting license plate, VIN, identifiable home or place of work where vehicle is likely to be found etc., or geotagged photos. Good-condition Cruiser thefts are on the rise, and you just never know who's checking things out.

My HG went 236,000 miles without a hiccup; I'm on 237 now. Some have gone well over 300k. If time, trouble and money are not issues, do it for peace of mind. And the PHH and a few other things while you're at it. Otherwise don't overheat it and you'll 'probably' be fine for years to come. Figure on a first rebuild somewhere north of 250k...
Those are old plates and its no longer there, but thanks.
I checked the PHH as soon as I knew what it was, its good. The timing chain guides and HG seem to be the weak points in the 1FZ-FE from what I can tell, I’ll check the guides while I’m in there. probably a lot of other “while you’re there “ stuff too. My thought is if I do it, Im most likely good for 200K

How did you conclude the PHH is good?

Does it have the original cotter pin clamps?
That sucker is so much trouble to change that if you didn't put it on yourself and you don't KNOW that it went on recently and correctly--change it anyway. I blew a whole day on a tow and replacing that little bastard. Not something you want to be doing by the side of the road. Mine was original--cotter pins and all. :) Oh--and if you ever remove the HCV, have a new one in your other hand. For now, carry hose and fittings to bypass it if it croaks. Quick job. Replace all hoses when you get a chance.

That sucker is so much trouble to change that if you didn't put it on yourself and you don't KNOW that it went on recently and correctly--change it anyway. I blew a whole day on a tow and replacing that little bastard. Not something you want to be doing by the side of the road. Mine was original--cotter pins and all. :) Oh--and if you ever remove the HCV, have a new one in your other hand. For now, carry hose and fittings to bypass it if it croaks. Quick job. Replace all hoses when you get a ch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom