New member from South Florida. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello first I would like to say im excited and happy to be here. I feel like I just joined a exclusive club. Ive been looking for a 100 series for a long time now. They're all either too expensive or not what I was looking for. One day I was looking thru offer up and low and behold there was a 2005 lx470 for sale nearby. In south florida these cars are rare. Most are being sold by small dealerships with mark ups. This was a private seller who wanted 11k for it. I didnt waste anytime I got on the phone and went to go look at it at the very moment. Unfortunately the car had quite a bit of problems. To make a long story short with some back and forth haggling in a weeks time I managed to snag this beauty for 7,300. I was suprised yet scared . I was wondering if I made a mistake . The car had loads of issues it didnt seem to be well taken care of. Here is a list of the issues and the ones ive sorted.

1. Check engine light was on. ( I fixed it replacing the oxygen sensor on driver side)

2. Heater T's ( It wasn't a issue until I started lurking on the forums . Good thing i did they crumbled in my hands when replacing them flushed coolant with fresh Toyota antifreeze while I was at it.

3. Hi Low is seized up. I havent really looked into this yet. When I press the center lock the diff lock light turns on but the vsc off doesnt.

4. Both axles are busted with grease everywhere and rack and pinion boots also busted. ( I ordered new axles and new boots for rack and pinion arm. One interesting thing one side of my cv joints is missing the snap ring after reading and looking at you tube videos I decided to inspect my hub flanges and compare each side for wear. The one missing the snap ring was really worn. I ordered new ones for the installation.)

5. Park to drive or reverse to drive clunk. ( Today I found out that might be due to the hub flanges or cv joint . Hopefully this will get sorted after my cv joint job.)

6. Clunk while letting off the gas and then back on it. ( Ive read this could be due to the drive shaft not being greased. I greased it and it got better not completely gone. I will keep re greasing if not eventually replace if needed)

7. AHC bumpy / jittery. ( This one has been the worst. I hate the way it rides at times. I ordered suspension fluid from toyota 3 quarts and flushed the system. Originally had 4 graduations then I got something like 10 after flush rode nice but not good enough. I decided to bite the bullet and shelled out for new globes. It didnt really change the ride much. I took it to a shop and they told me the shocks are leaking and should replace front ones. I dont mind spending the money on new ones. I just dont know if itll fix the problem. I see alot of people on here say they rarely go bad. I ordered the tech stream device from amazon. Hopefully ill do it right this time and go thru the check list and steps properly. Im hoping itll be as easy as adjusting the torsion bars. If not I dont mind spending the money.

8. Pulley noise or thats what it sounds like to me. ( Same shop told me the noise is normal and I should not worry. I also have a 2001 Toyota tundra with the same engine. It doesnt have the noise. The car inside is silent accelerates well temp stays at 190 all the time according to my scangauge. Eventually I plan on taking off the serpentine belt see if the noise goes away or it stays. )

9. Timing belt. ( The car currently has 159k, previous owner said he replaced it at 100k I have noting to back this up. Its not in the car fax . )

This turned into a long post fast so the run down lol.

2005 Lexus lx 470
paid 7,300
Had 2 previous owners ( First one dealer serviced until 82k . Second never seen the dealer and he owned it for 8 years.)

This has always been my dream car and I intend on keeping it for a very long time. I purchased it mainly to go camping and road trips. I plan on making it a mild overlander nothing extreme. I do live in miami there isnt much places to overland lol. I owned a 2008 Toyota 4 runner before this which I had lifted about 3 inches with Trd pro wheels. I sold it after purchasing this car. I wanted the third row seats , the clam shell tail gate and more space inside. This definitely has better road manners than my lifted 4 runner.

Welcome to Mud and a very serious addiction.

Post photos of your rig.

Sounds like you've already been reading through the forums. There's a tremendous amount of knowledge with the members here. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

If you haven't done it already, read through the Newbies Section. New Members! Welcome! Read this First!

Hello first I would like to say im excited and happy to be here. I feel like I just joined a exclusive club. Ive been looking for a 100 series for a long time now. They're all either too expensive or not what I was looking for. One day I was looking thru offer up and low and behold there was a 2005 lx470 for sale nearby. In south florida these cars are rare. Most are being sold by small dealerships with mark ups. This was a private seller who wanted 11k for it. I didnt waste anytime I got on the phone and went to go look at it at the very moment. Unfortunately the car had quite a bit of problems. To make a long story short with some back and forth haggling in a weeks time I managed to snag this beauty for 7,300. I was suprised yet scared . I was wondering if I made a mistake . The car had loads of issues it didnt seem to be well taken care of. Here is a list of the issues and the ones ive sorted.

1. Check engine light was on. ( I fixed it replacing the oxygen sensor on driver side)

2. Heater T's ( It wasn't a issue until I started lurking on the forums . Good thing i did they crumbled in my hands when replacing them flushed coolant with fresh Toyota antifreeze while I was at it.

3. Hi Low is seized up. I havent really looked into this yet. When I press the center lock the diff lock light turns on but the vsc off doesnt.

4. Both axles are busted with grease everywhere and rack and pinion boots also busted. ( I ordered new axles and new boots for rack and pinion arm. One interesting thing one side of my cv joints is missing the snap ring after reading and looking at you tube videos I decided to inspect my hub flanges and compare each side for wear. The one missing the snap ring was really worn. I ordered new ones for the installation.)

5. Park to drive or reverse to drive clunk. ( Today I found out that might be due to the hub flanges or cv joint . Hopefully this will get sorted after my cv joint job.)

6. Clunk while letting off the gas and then back on it. ( Ive read this could be due to the drive shaft not being greased. I greased it and it got better not completely gone. I will keep re greasing if not eventually replace if needed)

7. AHC bumpy / jittery. ( This one has been the worst. I hate the way it rides at times. I ordered suspension fluid from toyota 3 quarts and flushed the system. Originally had 4 graduations then I got something like 10 after flush rode nice but not good enough. I decided to bite the bullet and shelled out for new globes. It didnt really change the ride much. I took it to a shop and they told me the shocks are leaking and should replace front ones. I dont mind spending the money on new ones. I just dont know if itll fix the problem. I see alot of people on here say they rarely go bad. I ordered the tech stream device from amazon. Hopefully ill do it right this time and go thru the check list and steps properly. Im hoping itll be as easy as adjusting the torsion bars. If not I dont mind spending the money.

8. Pulley noise or thats what it sounds like to me. ( Same shop told me the noise is normal and I should not worry. I also have a 2001 Toyota tundra with the same engine. It doesnt have the noise. The car inside is silent accelerates well temp stays at 190 all the time according to my scangauge. Eventually I plan on taking off the serpentine belt see if the noise goes away or it stays. )

9. Timing belt. ( The car currently has 159k, previous owner said he replaced it at 100k I have noting to back this up. Its not in the car fax . )

This turned into a long post fast so the run down lol.

2005 Lexus lx 470
paid 7,300
Had 2 previous owners ( First one dealer serviced until 82k . Second never seen the dealer and he owned it for 8 years.)

This has always been my dream car and I intend on keeping it for a very long time. I purchased it mainly to go camping and road trips. I plan on making it a mild overlander nothing extreme. I do live in miami there isnt much places to overland lol. I owned a 2008 Toyota 4 runner before this which I had lifted about 3 inches with Trd pro wheels. I sold it after purchasing this car. I wanted the third row seats , the clam shell tail gate and more space inside. This definitely has better road manners than my lifted 4 runner.

20210128_173103.jpg

20210128_173015.jpg

20210305_170441.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom