New Member From Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings!

As the title says, newbie from Colorao. Just wanted to say hello and thank you in advance to all who participate on this forum. I’m a member of several forums ranging from dirt bikes to home improvement and I greatly appreciate those who take the time to guide those of us who are less knowledgeable but willing to learn.

I just purchased a 1978 FJ40 from a new friend who had it sitting behind his barn collecting dust. I know, I kow, pictures! I’ll post some when I’m able. I told him that it was sinful that he was allowing this vehicle to just waste away occupying its small space outside behind the barn. Details not important here, but it is now mine and I plan on fixing it over time. Not a restoration, but along the lines of most things being “correct”.

This Cruiser is original and hasn’t been modified. Runs well. Original drivetrain and the usual rust in all the right places. I have enjoyed reading through many posts here on Mud and looking forward to getting to work and making some new friends here!

Again, thanks in advance and I’ll post some pictures soon!

Scott

I will give you A BIG WELCOME (pending photos, of course). :cool:

Welcome! My 77 40 is parked down in Sedalia, but in a barn. Curious where you found yours. Look up Rising Sun if you need local club assistance with anything. We have a pretty active forum.

Does it have a lot of rust ?
Yes, it does. Around rear fender/wheel well area and floorboards. Probably need to weld new panels. I’ve been looking at parts web sites and reading a lot of restoration rebuild threads here to see which is the best way to go. Replace the tub or body panels. Not doing anything to it yet. Just educating myself about what to I’ve got myself into. Hahaha

Welcome! My 77 40 is parked down in Sedalia, but in a barn. Curious where you found yours. Look up Rising Sun if you need local club assistance with anything. We have a pretty active forum.
Thanks, Matt

I live in Indian Creek Ranch- three miles west of Sedalia off Hwy 67. A guy I met that lives just down the street had two. One is a pretty cool rock crawler heavily modified 1972. The 1978 he sold me was being used as a plow truck.

I’m interested in a local club and probably assistance with the more difficult things. How do I find this Rising Sun? Thank you for the welcome and hopefully we can meet some day.

Scott

edit: I see the link to Rising Sun at the bottom of your post. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, it does. Around rear fender/wheel well area and floorboards. Probably need to weld new panels. I’ve been looking at parts web sites and reading a lot of restoration rebuild threads here to see which is the best way to go. Replace the tub or body panels. Not doing anything to it yet. Just educating myself about what to I’ve got myself into. Hahaha

Good luck. If the frame is good, it is easy. If the frame is bad , it gets harder. Either way, An FJ40 driving is a piece of history.

Welcome! I’m in Highlands Ranch and have a ‘78. Holler if you need a hand turning wrenches or whatever.

Thanks, Matt

I live in Indian Creek Ranch- three miles west of Sedalia off Hwy 67. A guy I met that lives just down the street had two. One is a pretty cool rock crawler heavily modified 1972. The 1978 he sold me was being used as a plow truck.

I’m interested in a local club and probably assistance with the more difficult things. How do I find this Rising Sun? Thank you for the welcome and hopefully we can meet some day.

Scott

edit: I see the link to Rising Sun at the bottom of your post. Thanks!

Talk with @PabloCruise He's from Colorado as well and bought a 78?? that was a plow truck . He can let you know all the fun with that and then what to look forward too.

A few pictures to start....

Based on the data plate, other than being an FJ40 with a 2f engine, can anybody tell me anything else about it? I see guys on this, and other forums, refer to their rigs as 07/78. I assume this is month and year?

19EA808A-7F38-4886-9E1E-1DA26E9E35C2.jpeg
41A98274-2086-46FC-BAF2-F11530117534.jpeg
5AD5C23B-2D13-407C-B317-C560AC16AAE4.jpeg
4BB4AC24-05A9-4046-A697-FD6CD2D245E3.jpeg
FAFB2F1E-437B-476E-8308-0F810A3C4197.jpeg

If you have a moment, take a walk around with me and give me your thoughts. For clarity, I don't plan on doing frame off restore. Intended use is just a cool car to have- I have wanted one forever. I'd just like to make it safe and dependable. Oh, and a single different color! :bounce:

2E857369-A728-4E27-BD34-B3FF11664F46.jpeg
4A7C2362-5199-4895-B479-8225498F8CD0.jpeg
4A7C2362-5199-4895-B479-8225498F8CD0.jpeg
908B37F1-99FB-42F7-9831-CDE9EF6A18C3.jpeg
39273F88-DC85-4088-8CAB-82C97D459CE8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom