New member from Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Welcome to Mud but don't use an outside server for pics. Woody has provided an upload file button on the lower right and he will host your pics for free.

Now let's try again but welcome to the Mudness anyway. :D

Sorry for the cock-up right from the very start. Here I go again.

Hello from Bulgaria. I am a newbie (72-years old:() with a newly acquired 2006 Land Cruiser 4.7, with 198000 km (approx 124000 miles on the odometer. Before I go further let me say that I am extremely happy and privileged to be among you -- the most knowledgeable and helpful crowd of LC owners I've come across in my whole internet/forum experience.

I bought the Hundy sight unseen from a farmer in Switzerland, knowing in was bound to have some rust, but couldn't wait any longer. Petrol models a few and far between over here in Europe and I don't like diesels any more. I've had 3 70 series diesel LC's in the past and decided to go for this gasoline one for the sheer pleasure of listening to the "music" of the V8 engine. And, of course, the plush ride courtesy of the AHC is beyond belief. Everything is working flawlessly so far (touch wood) but reading the hundreds of forum threads in the past month or so made me aware of the most urgent maintenance items to be performed. Unfortunately I am a near idiot about anything more complex than changing a light bulb:bang:, so please, please bear with me when I start asking for your guidance.

I have drafted a long "TO DO" list hoping to get everything over and done with before the Spring but I'll come to that in due time. For now I'd like to share some pictures and ask for some opinions.

The car is slightly higher at the rear, with 20.06 in. from center of hub to fender rim on DS, 21.06 in. on PS and 19.68 on both sides in the front. The H-L ticks difference on the AHC fluid container is between 8 and 9. What should all this tell me?

Now comes the gritty part - RUST! Could you comment by looking at the pictures how serious the problem is?

Thanks in advance!

20180112_110359.jpg

20180112_110218.jpg

20180112_105915.jpg

20180112_110326.jpg

20180112_105615.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you as a member.

I don't see any amount of 'rust' that is concerning in the least. The vehicle looks very nice, congratulations.

As with any used vehicle.....you will want to 'baseline' all the fluids, check your belts and hoses.

You might want to 'flush' the AHC system with new fluid and check the infamous 'Heater Tees' that often need replacing.

I also don't see a rust problem and again welcome to the forum.

Go through every thing and make sure all your fluids are good and for the "stinkbug" look (higher in the rear), you can always crank your torsion bars to give you a little in the front. You don't need much so be gentle.

You have a nice looking ride, congratulations and again welcome to Mud.

Oh, for the rust that you do have, you can always spray or brush hydraulic fluid on there (PS fluid, tranny fluid or brake fluid). That'll stop it from growing.

Welcome! I am far from an AHC expert but, my LX 470 sometimes sits a little higher in different corners at different times. I think it is just because it didn't have a chance to adjust before being turned off. So I wouldn't start working on the AHC just yet but, keep checking it.

As far as rust in my area South Alabama USA, we have no rust so if a vehicle has the tiniest amount of rust mechanics make a big deal out of it. So all I can say about your rust is I have seen a few more on this forum with more rust than you. When I was doing my maintenance items, I would spray every bolt that I could get to with some penetrating oil just in case you need to change something in the future. Also inspect the frame for any rust spots.

Other than that drive it! They really are super nice vehicles!

Thank you for making me feel welcome and your advice, UltraFj40, TXSunDevil and flintknapper:)

I'll post a picture of the HVAC asap, and, yes, mine came with a navigation, blue tooth phone connectivity and MP3 plug-in.

Sorry, delete. Keep pressing the wrong buttons:notworthy:

Thanks KillerB. I hesitated a lot before I favored the 100 to the 200.

Here is my preliminary

TO DO LIST:

1. Change heater T’s.

2. Repack wheel bearings.

3. Replace AHC fluid.

4. Delete running boards.

5. Get hold of Techstream and Mini VCI diagnostic cable – $$$???

6. Flush transmission fluid.

7. Change differential, transfer case and power steering fluids.

8. Grease/repack cv joints.

9. Change power steering fluid.

10. Check front and rear suspension pressure.

11. Check for rust and outward appearance of AHC parts – bleed valves, rubber caps, globes, accumulator, etc…

12. Install in-cabin filter.

13. Order front bumper – which one???

14. Order Jason’s Tailgate storage lid – waiting for a group to make the order.

Comparing the difference in size and population between the USA and Bulgaria, yes, there are MORE 80's and 100's per capita ;) Most of them diesels, and the few gas ones are converted to LPG.

Welcome and the rust is not so bad. Find all the little spots and begin some rust prevention so the truck has a long and happy life. Check those body panel drain holes and keep them clear.

I would love to have a Diesel 100 series!

Thanks cmck! Mechanical issues are generally easier to deal with than rust but I hope with the proper care I can delay the rot as long as possible. Luckily there are no signs of rust on the body.

Apart from keeping clean the drain holes, what is the best rust preventive/arresting treatment. Some members suggested treating the affected areas with hydraulic fluids or penetrating oil. Any other ideas?

Apart from keeping clean the drain holes, what is the best rust preventive/arresting treatment. Some members suggested treating the affected areas with hydraulic fluids or penetrating oil. Any other ideas?

After treating (or removing) any existing rust, a product like 'Fluid Film' (highly regarded) can help prevent further rusting.

https://www.fluid-film.com/automotive-applications/

Weclome.

Above spare tire and rear undercarriage area is a good tell of rust issues or not. But from what I see you do not have a rust issue.

I can't see the whole engine compartment. But I do see a charcoal filter just in front of brake master. This was moved to the rear above spare tire in USA market in 2003 -2007 models. In May of 2005 - 2007 the 2UZ-fe VVT-i was installed again referring to USA models. If you've a black plastic intake you've a VVT-i. Can't see if you've a dipstick for transmission, which we lost in 2004.

AHC, 8 ticks indicates globes are near end of life.

What is that in engine compartment between engine & fuse box?
What in the world is that canister behind front bumper attached the frame cross memebr in picture #4?

Welcome @kolyo

Super nice truck! There's no rust to speak of there.

I was wondering too what that canister is....

What is that in engine compartment between engine & fuse box?
What in the world is that canister behind front bumper attached the frame cross memebr in picture #4?

I bet those two items are part of the same contraption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom