New Member 2002 Sequoia Limited 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning, New member from Charleston, SC.

Last year my father in law gifted me a 2002 Sequoia Limited that he got new in 2001. This was my wife's first car that she took with her when she went to college, and managed to hit everything possible while there so it has plenty of bumps bruises and stains. We have a baby on the way now and my wife won't be able to use her company car while on maternity leave so I've given myself a deadline to get this thing in good shape before the baby arrives.

I don't have pictures to show yet but here is a list of items completed and to-dos.

Completed:
-Rear Bumper Cover Replacement
-Front Passenger Fender Replacement
-Replace headlights and turn signals
-Replace Battery
-Replace broken rear latch handle
-replace back passenger window motor
-replace stock radio with Pioneer 2400 NEX
-Replace front calipers and pads
-Replace all 4 O2 Sensors
-Replace driver and passenger leather seat bottom and armrests

To-Do

-replace steering wheel leather
-Yaw Rate Sensor calibration (TRAC off, TSC off Lights)
-Paint (18 years of Florida Sun)
-Replace air filter (Possibly ram air filter depending on research)
-New Suspension (Dobinson)
-285/70/17 AT tires

Odds are I'll end up in the Sequoia and we'll trad my Truck for a newer family friendly vehicle.

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm in the Charleston area myself!

Sounds like you have a good plan! I would also plan on replacing the timing belt/water pump (an Aisin kit is the way to go...about $170 but labor is expensive), as well as the lower ball joints (OEM only...about $200 for the kit). If it's 4WD you'll want a diff drop too once the lift goes on.

Oh, and the stock intakes are great...no need for anything else. I have a drop-in K&N and it doesn't do much but give a throatier growl under load.

Welcome! I'm in the Charleston area myself!

Sounds like you have a good plan! I would also plan on replacing the timing belt/water pump (an Aisin kit is the way to go...about $170 but labor is expensive), as well as the lower ball joints (OEM only...about $200 for the kit). If it's 4WD you'll want a diff drop too once the lift goes on.

Oh, and the stock intakes are great...no need for anything else. I have a drop-in K&N and it doesn't do much but give a throatier growl under load.
Thanks for the input! I'm going to need some coaching on this, as this is my first Toyota. Thankfully my Father in Law replaced the timing belt at 158000 and i'm at 183000 now so I'm good there. But i will add the lower ball joints and water pump as well. I realized yesterday I need to replace my serpentine belt and tensioner as well. I have a little squeak when it first starts up. I'm excited to get it looking and performing well. I love my f150 but i'd love to ditch a payment.

Glad to hear the timing belt was done...you have to remove it do the water pump so it was probably replaced along with the timing belt. If not, run it and address it if you have any issues or leaks down the road.

I did my serpentine belt and idlers/tensioner when I had the timing belt done a few months ago. There's a Gates kit (made in Canada) on Rockauto for about $140 that I used and was impressed with the quality. Really quieted my engine too.

This weekend was a big one for the wife. Since we got the Sequoia back from her parents last year she's wanted to fix the ripped seats. I found some factory replacement lowers for both sides on eBay and replaced them. While I had the interior tools out I also replaced all interior lighting with 6000k LEDs. It made a world of difference on the Sequoia. This week I plan on taking it to get a few quotes on getting the Florida sun baked paint re-done. I've replaced the back bumper cover as well as the passenger side front fender so getting one solid color on the whole car would be pretty nice.

Next on the list is going ahead and replacing the lower ball joints. I feel like the more I read about those the more nervous I get so I'm going to do those and probably the Dobinson's lift at the same time. I'm not really looking to get a ton of lift but that factory suspension seems to be pretty ratty and I think the Dobinson's would be the perfect replacement without noticing any lift.

Thankfully my Father in Law replaced the timing belt at 158000 and i'm at 183000 now so I'm good there. But i will add the lower ball joints and water pump as well.

If he still has the receipts, see if the water pump has already been replaced. It it pretty common for it to be done while they are changing the timing belt.

I am starting to see a few more sequoia builds! What is Yaw Rate Sensor calibration?
When you lift, the sensor that detects body roll can become confused. So your stability control will kick in at strange times. Mine does on steep right hand turnes coming off the off ramps or when I drive too fast on windy back roads. You can recalibrate it for its current height or some have actually just raised the sensor.

Zero calibration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom