New Member 1st LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After about a two month search for vehicle here in Orange County, CA, I picked up a 100 series in what appears to be great condition, but nearly 400,000 miles. I pray they really are million mile engines, but would settle for 600,000.

I am duly impressed with the amount of great information in these forums and know that many of my questions are already answered somewhere in previous posts. I will do my best to search first and not ask them again.

I intend this to a be third vehicle for the family to share. Meaning that I can use on trails around Southern California, and my teenagers who are not yet of driving age can eventually borrow while they remain at home. I grew up on a red dirt road in rural Northern California, but would consider myself nearly a novice on any truly technical trail.

This will be my first build. As you can see from the picswe are starting at a bone stock truck.
BEAA53CF-FF3F-4C68-9467-24F956F4B189.jpeg
5A95A352-BED0-4BFD-9296-F0A463B733CB.jpeg

For my first question I will focus on the rear bumper.

While I won’t make this my first upgrade, I note that our LC’s have a low and longish rear end. To my way of looking at it, it seems that we have a rather low departure angle with this design.

After a search for a rear bumper with a swing away tire mount, it seems that they all seem to retain a rather long and low profile similar to the stock bumper.

Has this been an issue for anyone? And if so, how have you dealt with this matter?

I did see a rather cool alteration of the stock bumper in one thread. That said I would like to retain a hitch receiver at a level higher than the stock position.

Congrats and welcome!

Thank you medtro. Are you connected with 4x4labs? Or have you used any of their products?

Thanks. North Tustin. How about you?

The 4x4 Labs will buy you the most clearance. Barring that, plenty of the aftermarket bumpers are strong enough to just bounce off any terrain. Mine (BIOR) has taken a ton of hits and scrapes and unless you looked underneath you wouldn't know. Some of the 60 and 80 guys chop the rear quarters (and close them back in obviously) , but I don't that's as common on 100s.

There are quite a few skid marks on trails around Moab from when I used to have the factory spare mounted underneath. For whatever reason the factory spare made contact before the factory Tupperware.

Welcome and enjoy your build !

Congrats, welcome. I'd be interested in what gave you confidence to buy this particular 100. Did it come with an extensive maintenance history? 400,000 is impressive. I imagine you got a pretty good deal with the high mi. Baseline before mods.

Congrats, welcome. I'd be interested in what gave you confidence to buy this particular 100. Did it come with an extensive maintenance history? 400,000 is impressive. I imagine you got a pretty good deal with the high mi. Baseline before mods.
The maintenance history was good, the vehicle had the appearance of being well kept without being “dressed up” was well kept, no accidents, the undercarriage shows only a few spots of surface rust, and yeah the price felt reasonable in comparison to every other offerings that I was seeing (looking at Toyota Tacoma’s, Tundras, 4Runners and the Nissan Xterras with rear lockers as comparisons). I was/am willing to pay a little extra for the LC over these other options, but due to mileage didn’t really have to. I do feel that there is a bit of a COVID premium on all of these right now, but the timing is right for me so I pulled the trigger. She pulls hard and smooth at this point. To be fair, I understand it is always a risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom