New member 1983 Toyota Pickup Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Just picked up a beautiful little 1983 Toyota Pickup 2WD Diesel with the 2.2 liter L engine. 162,000 miles. An almost completely rust free survivor.

Not new to diesels or Toyotas, but definitely new to Toyota diesels. Currently trying to bring her up to trusty reliable service condition. Planning to adjust valves, replace timing belt, water pump, hoses, tires, etc.

Here she is:
2ADB6A10-13DE-4765-ADD5-9EB8B4835A9B.jpeg
AEFD96E7-D8C8-4701-AEED-12B5F03CC11E.jpeg

Happy to take suggestions as to what to replace/adjust to get ahead of maintenance and such.

Best Regards,

300D

Nice rig! I can only highly suggest rebuilding the nozzles and cleaning the injection pump. I have a 86 2.4 2l that I added a Saab Td04 turbo a year ago, and it really improved it.

Nice rig! I can only highly suggest rebuilding the nozzles and cleaning the injection pump. I have a 86 2.4 2l that I added a Saab Td04 turbo a year ago, and it really improved it.
That is most definitely on my list. I am curious about the pump. Is it super complicated to rebuild? I have a 2003 VW TDI that the pump is for highly skilled professionals only. Is this one I could pop into the shop disassemble and reassemble with new seals myself? I have the timing tool and dial gauge for when it goes back on.

And an update on maintenance:

Additional battery has been installed
Valves adjusted
Timing belt replaced along with tensioner
Water pump replaced
Coolant replaced
Top and bottom radiator hoses replaced
Heater hoses replaced
Intake from filter housing to manifold replaced
Oil Change
New Fuel filter

New 14" tires all around.
New OEM antennae
New OEM wiper blades
New OEM rear view mirror installed

I freaking love this little truck. Hopefully have time this weekend to crawl around underneath and give it a good coating of Fluid Film.

That is most definitely on my list. I am curious about the pump. Is it super complicated to rebuild? I have a 2003 VW TDI that the pump is for highly skilled professionals only. Is this one I could pop into the shop disassemble and reassemble with new seals myself? I have the timing tool and dial gauge for when it goes back on.
the pump is pretty standard Bosch rotary design, however that is still above most home mechanics ability as you really will want a flow bench to assemble it. Personally I just ran some cleaner through mine ( like disconnect the fuel lines and run it on a jar of Diesel Kleen or the like..)

I've had good luck with the Liquimoly/lubromoly diesel purge. It really cleaned up the fuel system and huge improvement on power.
the pump is pretty standard Bosch rotary design, however that is still above most home mechanics ability as you really will want a flow bench to assemble it. Personally I just ran some cleaner through mine ( like disconnect the fuel lines and run it on a jar of Diesel Kleen or the like..)

I've had good luck with the Liquimoly/lubromoly diesel purge. It really cleaned up the fuel system and huge improvement on power.
I ran some Purge through by filling the fuel filter with it when I swapped that in. Basically took a whole can of the Diesel Purge. First discovered that stuff with an 85 Mercedes 300D that I owned. Works great.

The pump is a bit damp at the moment. Not dripping wet, but definitely has some weepage occuring. I might just pull it and the injectors and send to DFIS in Portland Oregon. They have rebuilt injectors for me in the past and have excellent service.

Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom