1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Master Clutch Cyclinder

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by BigSur, Feb 27, 2004.

1. BigSur

BigSur

I just replaced the OEM master cyclinder on my FJ60 and it feels totally different now and i can't decide weither i installed it incorrectly (don't see how that is possible) or if this is was a new clutch master feels like. After i installed i had to re-adjust my set bolts to compesate. It feels like there is air in the system but i cannot figure it out. This is what i did:

Removed the line from the OEM master.
    Removed Pin and bolt from the clutch pedal to the master.
    Removed bolts from OEM master
    Pulled the old one out and put the new one in.
    Attachemed bolts to secure it.
    Put in bolt and pin on clutch pedal
    Reintalled hydraulic line...seems as though it doesn't go in as far as the OEM did.
    Added new fluid
    Pumped and pumped to remove air.

Feels as though the engagement is alot closer to the to the ground then it use to be.

Am i missing a step?

2. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

You'll need to adjust the rod from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder. There is too much gap between the end of the rod and the piston in the master. Check the OEM shop manual, it details the distance of pedal travel before contact with the piston is made. You may also need to adjust the slave if it was incorrectly adjusted before.

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Unless the clutch assembly is worn, normal pedal location for clutch engagement will be closer to the floor, than the top of the pedal travel..

Verify free play measurements as was suggested, and see what happens..

That has been my expierence with many Land Cruisers, and other vehicles...

Good luck!

-Steve

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    The clutch pedal should engage very close to the floor. You don't want it engaging high. 1 1/4 inches, IIRC.

5. BigSur

BigSur

Thanks for the advice guys...i checked the manual and i have set the play to require distance. Then i even rebled the system just to make sure all the air was out. I guess since this is a new master cylinder i really didn't know how it would feel. I will say she is alot more crisp on the shifting.

Thanks

6. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    i put a new one in a few months ago and tonight i finally got the wheels and tires so ive been drivin it around alll day :) but now my clutch pedal is making a squicky noise every once in a while???... and i never really noticed intil i just read the above but my clutch doesnt start catching til almost out??? i have a hanes manual... ill have to double check what to adjust.. but its now at 154,000 miles and i think its time for a new clutch?????...