New LX470 owner! & many little problems - help wanted! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I'm so excited to finally own a 100 series! I have a 1999 with 152k miles on it, and got it for only $2,800. It already has an OME medium duty lift kit, and had a lot of other work such as a replaced transmission, throttle body, and a lot of other suspension and steering components. This is the car when I first saw it:
IMG_5586.jpg

It was sitting for a bit, and the paint was terrible! It was full of spots and had a whole layer of dirt and made it look horrible. Since I've got it, I have completely detailed it myself, as well as add a few extras:
IMG_5705 3.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

I washed, claybared, and waxed the entire car. I also replaced the worn stock size tires with used 285/75r16's. I love how it drives, although the OME is a bit too stiff for my liking.

Here is a list of the problems, and all help will be welcomed and appreciated:
1) Steering column doesn't tilt or telescope
2) Subwoofer doesn't work - It had a Kenwood touchscreen unit and I didn't see an amp under the passenger seat
3) The power mirrors only fold in, not back out - When I fold them in and out manually I can feel the clicking of it in place is stuck in
4) The driver's side window makes a TERRIBLE screeching sound when going up - Someone told me it needs a new seal?
5) The turn signal is wired to the bulb next to the headlight - I'm not sure how to fix this but I'll probably take it to someone that knows wiring
6) Both fenders are bent in from a previous front end impact - I'm going to replace them both
7) All seats are very messed up - Going to replace them all

My future plans for this car definitely include a metal front bumper and rock sliders on the side. For now I want to make it look a bit cleaner by changing the front fenders, adding door trim, and a front tint. Does anyone know where I could get a steering wheel replacement for around $100? And cheaper rock silders that just do its job when off roading. I'm trying to stay on the cheaper side of things with this monster. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Regarding the OME suspension, the spring rate is what it is, but many have said their ride quality improved when they swapped out the OME shocks with another brand. If you don't need the extra travel, the OEM Toyota/Tokicos LC shocks are only about $40 a corner.

1) The tilt/telescope thing is pretty common, the electric motor just wears out. I'm sure there is a write-up on that fix if you search.
5) It's possible that the wires are fine, but someone just plugged the blinker bulb into the wrong hole post-impact (body shop did this to me once)
7) There are vendors that sell replacement leather covers, may not need to scrap/source an entire seat (many have tried lseat)

Welcome to the forum

5) Wires are likely swapped, I don't think the bulb housing would fit from the turn signal into the marker light there. The light housing is easy enough to remove, one phillips screw under the hood next to it, then gently pry from BELOW the light, forward with a flathead screw driver. It will pop out, then you'll just need to maneuver it out and back in. Wires for the turn signals in the bumper are fairly easy to access I think. Honestly I'd just leave it and replace with LED - if you do a front bumper you'll need to use those marker lights as turn signals anyway (like mine).

2) Subwoofer doesn't work - It had a Kenwood touchscreen unit and I didn't see an amp under the passenger seat

My future plans for this car definitely include a metal front bumper and rock sliders on the side. For now I want to make it look a bit cleaner by changing the front fenders, adding door trim, and a front tint. Does anyone know where I could get a steering wheel replacement for around $100? And cheaper rock silders that just do its job when off roading. I'm trying to stay on the cheaper side of things with this monster. Thanks for all the help everyone!

If audio is anything you care about, ditch the factory sub and install something else with it's own amp. The factory stereo is a bit of a nightmare, not even close to being worth the effort of getting it working. aftermarket is the way to go for stereo.

As far as rock sliders go... they only do their job when offroading ;) expect to pay around 700 for a set of good sliders.

If audio is anything you care about, ditch the factory sub and install something else with it's own amp. The factory stereo is a bit of a nightmare, not even close to being worth the effort of getting it working. aftermarket is the way to go for stereo.

As far as rock sliders go... they only do their job when offroading ;) expect to pay around 700 for a set of good sliders.

Agree. I went with a Kenwood amp and am very pleased even with the factory speakers. I can get the model number if you want, ~$300.

White Knuckle sliders ran me about $1100 total with diamond plating and shipping.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I will change the steering wheel motor soon and add a subwoofer. I think I will check out the lseats as well. I was planning on buying used seats and selling the old ones but this could work too. I will also leave the turn signal as in and add a relay in the future probably to fix the hyper blink.

Does anyone know what's going on with my mirrors? I'd like to fix that asap. Thanks again everyone.

I’d love to know how you found a sub $5K LC. Nothing on autotrader.com comes close.

It was on cars.com for $4,600 and FB marketplace for $6,500. I talked the seller all the way down to $2,800 when I made a long list of all the problems that the car had... I think it was a great deal for me!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I will change the steering wheel motor soon and add a subwoofer. I think I will check out the lseats as well. I was planning on buying used seats and selling the old ones but this could work too. I will also leave the turn signal as in and add a relay in the future probably to fix the hyper blink.

Does anyone know what's going on with my mirrors? I'd like to fix that asap. Thanks again everyone.
I don't think you need a new sub, you need a new amp. The LX comes with a sub. It is easily overpowered but if you don't overdo it I've found it more than satisfactory (as well as the factory speakers) with an aftermarket amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom