New LX470 owner! 2001 riverrock green, 224k, a little crusty... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a few months of fantasy-shopping Toyota trucks, I found a relatively local, all-stock 2001 LX470 with 224,500 miles that seemed reasonable. I would have liked to pick up a southern, rust-free example, but flying anywhere sadly won't be a reality for at least another few months, and I wanted one in my driveway before the snow flies.

This one was previously a Louisiana truck, but has spent the last few years in NH, and despite being undercoated has picked up a lovely 'patina' underneath. I checked out the frame thoroughly pre-purchase and didn't see any glaring concerns about rot, but there is definitely some flaking on the rails and some of the componentry is quite rusty. Unfortunately, Vermont is where Toyotas go to die, so I'd like to jump on the rust mitigation train before it's too late. The body looks good, with a few little spots that could get addressed. It looks like the clips that hold the body cladding have rusted out, so there's some staining along the bottoms of the plastic panels. A few other little bumps and scrapes, as expected for a 20-year old truck.

The previous owner was clearly a Toyota truck enthusiast and took good care of it overall. He was only selling because of a more to FL with 2 other cars, but otherwise would have kept it another 10 years. Timing belt and water pump done 4k ago, fluids and filters done, spark plugs and one coil replaced. He said compression test had been completed and was perfect. AHC check showed fluid level a little low, but at least 12 marks between L and H. I will top up and check it again, the level was very close to the bottom of the reservoir in H and I didn't want to pull air into the system. Damping control works and seems to ride great; a little more wallow-y than what I'm used to, but I think that's just me stepping out of a VW Golf and into a very tall truck.

Interior is pretty grubby (children have clearly been in this car at some point!), and it sounds like at least 2 speakers and maybe the sub are blown. Driver's seat is torn, which seems standard on these!

Planning on keeping it mostly stock with some quality-of-life upgrades for now; I think even in stock trim, it's way more capable than most! This is my first proper 4x4, so I'm very excited to learn and explore. This community seems really awesome; thanks to all the members with helpful threads here that informed my decision-making process!

On to the important part!

ACtC-3c9S8ZI88v6OpHv2VCJyA0g6npRiDo7tsIoAZNJzU2YI-I-kbsv6bgz1uPfFOIC--hHYHqP0_VW2nksgk4irhvi2AilVaCPkiZx7yJDWyPRwl5sgvnzMclgsEEYZnJFoXoxuYH0A4V_77I19jmb6emYEg=w1292-h970-no

(Yep, it needs new tires badly! Snows going on soon.)
ACtC-3fhq_u-uX7VHOb56_0ZXnAZxH0Mf7Fv4FmxUfaTWkJ8PAoRBLjueIeLNHHXMhb-0t5rRpsAG_zBQGbHhlFLqNwbuOF_gqNejPPn5YHw4-3UgyhkI6EeJW24Vb1m_cwHb3gytQMIUY2MVRqPTlIv9Jms0g=w727-h969-no

ACtC-3eh9QPGeMBmoyMyvmuylJvkULunGUTb2__BiL3_yefo30dYcM7WMVz66_G6t5GLdePzEswHnMs_eAWgFEP7ufFfsLeZjdY7VN10sLnyCA2Re9nRtd-2RaHsiOorvCkMSq2UeKbmPYXQ5gGypgBt8jzjtw=w1292-h970-no

Underneath (looks rough, but I think it'll clean up ok.)
ACtC-3e18yXmuIdRnhbq5qqypDrmspwVjF4kGrTSdt8ttsMa8cDZJksOKhF_k2MmjwLRVYSwkZUaRLgzveF3GQle4CNQOuNipsu9uwHCIaELlwKxKVXft-LMF-70BTeaS25wtAD2XhUwu8iwpnxglr0r5EdVXw=w1024-h768-no

ACtC-3d8-Y2BILssruuMXQ-J9BE7jPDHicNouXXRI6MBNYxQuZ8OnhuPL5iliAYURESp8mWSs2aYzbbLEMCB6QmeVUQgm8oYCjKZkILhCSkJFs7_9G5UWvKDauZf2qCd-KIXP2jfAD50B9Q0ED69my99DilbIQ=w1024-h768-no

ACtC-3frKKApJiALuA3UHEyV2btr4gQJtHelGbmQWCG2nmtRiZFgcJwrb30QsifB1G5rfgI_F6xKLmYsMzhMXXi-FGs8AHiU3tObUOeIw83cO562wRQDybQyy59DKcH2t9YuxoYBLEDxrwnYzU-3DfiqWBxjUA=w727-h969-no

My previous "off-road" vehicle (2013 VW Touareg TDI) was set up for moto-camping; I had built a set of custom drawers/totes and a bed platform, which I plan to do with with the LX too.
ACtC-3ezW18G4l3MwT1Bg62cFH2rA4kIshs8Hk-vUGD8Sd-Zdn6TJZ01KKPytsO72xglbTuFEQhAQY2ii8UXJ-N48Ofj84b19xkbCklp3OKSXtJiE_GrFe2jwMCLiklA0axmD7N6DnWpN5ZIKVJuViFdaN4VzQ=w1292-h970-no

ACtC-3don0Men00jHx5xLSZbiw-WVWt_ZWRbRylAV97uSIGKfJBANAg3yFzNWHpeTnXPKbPFq5jEOI1Sshl93gqEdF_re245vYDNLyQGbdEZjUs9IuluC7J12vPaYv406cMTN_gI5z7oYCyy0nw8dSjD9IjSWw=w1292-h970-no

Hey bud,
Nice ride! I bought my '02 a few months ago and brought it to Vermont. GreenMountainHundy on Instagram.
Feel free to ping me if you have any questions; happy to pass on any knowledge and tips I might have ... and I seem to have collected a lot, as the vehicle needed a lot more work than I had signed up for. :) All good now, quite happy with it, after bringing it up to OEM spec.
Also, I just put new tires on it, specifically for VT snow - Went up to 285/75/r16 BFG KO2s. Fantastic change, and I highly recommend, with no other structural changes needed!!
Kos

In my opinion, that vehicle spent more time in NH than it did in LA. You can tell by the aftermarket replaced muffler. If it did spend time in LA, then its been wet before, meaning it might of been through some flood gunk.

Nice colour, same as mine.

I'd be poking around that frame. the pic you show above, I can't tell if it's cracked or it is just the rust flake looking like a crack.

Hey bud,
Nice ride! I bought my '02 a few months ago and brought it to Vermont. GreenMountainHundy on Instagram.
Feel free to ping me if you have any questions; happy to pass on any knowledge and tips I might have ... and I seem to have collected a lot, as the vehicle needed a lot more work than I had signed up for. :) All good now, quite happy with it, after bringing it up to OEM spec.
Also, I just put new tires on it, specifically for VT snow - Went up to 285/75/r16 BFG KO2s. Fantastic change, and I highly recommend, with no other structural changes needed!!
Kos

Thanks! I followed you, nice to see another one in the VT scenery! I've seen a few LCs around, but never another LX. What did you wind up having to do for yours?

I've always run studded snows, do you feel like the KO2s offer decent ice traction?

In my opinion, that vehicle spent more time in NH than it did in LA. You can tell by the aftermarket replaced muffler. If it did spend time in LA, then its been wet before, meaning it might of been through some flood gunk.

Nice colour, same as mine.

I think you're right, I know it was sold at a NH dealer and went through 2 owners there, so it's probably spent quite a bit of time up north already. They salt like we do, and even with religious undercoating stuff gets crusty.

I'd be poking around that frame. the pic you show above, I can't tell if it's cracked or it is just the rust flake looking like a crack.

I did look at that spot specifically and it's just flake, but it does look rough. Any thoughts on ideal rust-mitigation and -prevention strategy? My thought is, thorough power wash, scrape back as much as possible, hit with degreaser, rust converter/encapsulator, something like POR-15, then paint top coat. I'll pull as much of the hardware as possible and renew/refresh where I can. It'll never be pretty, but hopefully stays solid for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom