new LX450 and newbie questions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
triplefault.org
Hey all. If everything goes well, I'll be picking up my new-to-me '97 LX450 tomorrow and been planning out future modifications for days now. These forums are great, just about every question I had was answered by a search.

However, I have been having a hard time finding information on one topic: exhaust. I've noticed that with the stock running boards removed, the catalytic converters seem to be a bit of a low point. That, coupled with the fact that I am surely going to want to hear a little growl out of my new beast makes me want to do a little exhaust work. I'm thinking a new, lower profile catalytic converter and a new muffler. These don't seem to be popular modifications but I'm wondering if anyone has done any of these and have any recommendations or things to watch out for? I can't even really find a good picture online of the routing of the stock exhaust nor pictures of the muffler(s) for comparison shopping.

Any help?

Thanks and I look forward to spending alot of time here!

A lot of people in here cut and turn the cats.... Basically have an exhaust shop turn the cats flat to gain greater ground clearance....I believe that some build heat shields to protect the floor from excess heat after doing this mod....as far as exhaust goes the borla seems to be fairly popular and well built if you want a cat back system....if you just want a weld in muffler I have used the dynamax quiet flow muffler and have been happy...just enough growl but not too much....congrats on the new LX and welcome

Welcome aboard :flipoff2:

My cats are unmolested and I really see no need to modify them with the cut-n-turn technique. I understand the benefits, but never felt the need to go to the trouble of getting it done.

I'll start a poll so we can get a good idea of what's out there.

Thanks for the responses. It'd be great if the cats don't turn out to be a problem. The poll responses are interesting; I'm definately doing sliders so hopefully that'll be sufficient.

I'll still probably go with a weld-in muffler though. I am coming from a 4x4 Taco and it's puny 3.4L V6 sounds great with the weld-in Dynomax I put in it. I'd imagine 1.1L more and an inline would sound great. Anyone know the exhaust tubing size?

A couple more hours and I'm going to go negotiate with the guy and am hoping to come back with her. :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom