New LX-470 Fiasco - Need To Vent (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

greynolds

SILVER Star
Threads
I took delivery of my 2006 LX-470 last Monday. I purchased the GuidePoint recovery system for it from the dealer and apparently the installer screwed up as the air bag warning light was flashing on the day. We knew about the problem during delivery and agreed that I would bring the vehicle back on Friday to have the problem resolved.

In the meantime, I drove it the next several days and was pretty happy other than the flashing light except that it felt like something in the front end was out of balance. So when I took it in Friday, I mentioned that too.

So on Friday, they called to tell me it was ready for pickup. The GuidePoint installers had come in to "fix" the installation and the service department balanced the tires (they said they were out of balance, which seemed about right). I got into it and started driving home. Imagine my surprise when the air bag light starts flashing again and the ride still doesn't feel right - in fact the ride seemed exactly like it was when I picked it up. So I took it back in.

Turns out the GuidePoint installer tapped into the air bag wiring for power which resulted in the air bag warning light flashing. So the solution for that seemed simple enough.

Regarding the rough ride, they thought that perhaps the vehicle had been sitting for a while prior to being sold (they got it from another dealer) and wanted to inflate the tires to something like 60-70 PSI over the weekend to hopefully get rid of any flat spots (which also strikes me as reasonable) - I spoke directly with the service tech about this. The service tech requested that I go out on a test drive with him after to confirm the problem is resolved and if not to confirm we're on the same page - again, this made sense.

So I took the day off today partly because I got home late after watching the SuperBowl (nice officiating and nice coaching by the Seattle coach :rolleyes:) with some friends 1 1/2 hours away and partly so I could get to the dealership for the test drive and to finally get my vehicle back home.

I called the service department just before noon and spoke with the service writer I've been working with. He told me it was out for a final test drive and he expected it to be ready around 1, but to wait until they call before coming to get it.

I just got a call a few minutes ago from the salesman with "good news, bad news". The good news is they are pretty sure they've resolved the rough ride issue. The bad news is somewhere along the way someone/something damaged my rear bumper so they'll need to keep it till Wednesday or Thursday so they can repair it. :mad: While speaking with me, he revealed that the service rep I spoke with earlier today knew about the problem some time on Friday, despite the fact that he told me nothing when he spoke to me earlier today (I called him and he said he didn't have all the facts when we spoke earlier). This isn't the salesperson's fault, but I'm afraid I ripped him a new one, as they say. This vehicle is a very expensive purchase for me (I'm sure that applies to most people) and my initial impression with this dealership has been anything but favorable since I took delivery. They almost seem more concerned about making sure to tell you that they need to get an "outstanding" rating on the stupid customer satisfaction surveys than actually getting things right.

The salesperson said he would be looking into some way (such as free service, though I'm not sure how much that would be worth at this point) to compensate me for the inconvenience and trouble. I guess my question to all of you is what should I reasonably expect to get out of them for this? I'm not the type who expects something for nothing, but I do think they owe me something here as I have had to make a couple of extra round trips to the dealership and haven't had the vehicle in 100% working condition even though I've owned it for a week now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

3/1/2006 Update:

For those who don't want to read the entire thread, the problems with the vehicle could not be resolved after several attempts, so the dealership is replacing the vehicle. I saw the replacement vehicle today and should have possession of it within a few more days after all the paperwork for the transfer is done.

The VIN # for the first vehicle is:

JTJHT00W064012954

If anyone finds themselves considering purchasing this vehicle, they should probably rethink their choice. If you still want to buy it, you should question what has been done with the wiring harness under the dash (specifically in the steering wheel area) and what was done to resolve the air bag warning light issue. Also be aware that the rear bumper cover has been replaced and repainted, so it does not have the factory paint job. Personally, I would suggest avoiding this one and getting a different one as this one was trouble from day 1. Given that I (briefly) owned this one, it will have to be sold as a used vehicle, which should probably raise a red flag with most potential buyers, though the dealer could probably talk it up as a buyer whose credit fell through, didn't like it and exchanged it for a different model, or some such thing.

Last edited:
A new 2006? I'd demand the sale to be cancelled. Something is screwed up with that truck/dealer. I'de demand they obtain or trade another dealer for another new 2006. If they don't I'd shop elsewhere. Maybe that's me being paranoid.....?

considering that probably only a very few percent of the cars sold in the coutnry are in excess of $55K, I'd say they better make you happy.

Not to make you paranoid, but the airbag is a pretty sensitive issue. I would not want anybody to futz around with that. Tapping into the circuits is flat out unacceptable IMO. They better make sure all is well (all new wiring) and you better have it in writing that they checked it and fixed everything so they actually do it. Remind them -delicately- that their asses would be toast if the thing inflated suddenly on the freeway... or would not inflate in an accident...

Bumper: I would insist on new one. Forget repairs! You bought a new vehicle not a used one. Everything better be new on it!

Return it? well, that's gonna be hard. I would give them a chance to fix the problems first. But document everything so you have recourse. Or just try to return it and see what happens, if you're miffed enough. We actually did return a used 100 my wife bought (without me) that had some problems with the brakes and tires that they were not willing to fix to my satisfaction. Took a half day ending up in some yelling in the showroom (that shook them up a tad... :) )

And keep the survey unsent until they have fixed it all. If you're not satisifed talk to the managers first and then the Lex rep.

they'll try to smooth talk you, be nice but forceful!

Last edited:
Duuuuuuuuude! I would be on the phone with Lexus Cust Service and demand to see the regional rep....I would also demand a replacement....then again, I'm a bit of a jerk when it comes to my cars...and nothing less than new would suffice.

I would be very concerned about the wiring issue and make sure at a minimum that corporate has a case number established on the issue and is willing to warranty the fix for the lifetime of the car...given the fact that if it fails, you will not have airbag protection! If it were me, I would demand a complementary 7yr extended warranty.

Secondly (not meaning to add to your concerns), I have rarely seen external damage that was fixed to match the factory finish....it is always a bit off (sometimes better than factory paint). I would demand a new bumper and the finish to be perfect.

For your time and sacrifice, I would expect a few free services (the expensive ones) and a minimum of $1k in customer loyalty money from Lexus...don't ask me how I know!......then again, just tell them you want a new one.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
A new 2006? I'd demand the sale to be cancelled. Something is screwed up with that truck/dealer. I'de demand they obtain or trade another dealer for another new 2006. If they don't I'd shop elsewhere. Maybe that's me being paranoid.....?

Well, the sale is done so I'm not sure I have much recourse in cancelling it so long as they make good on it.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Oh, and by the way.....A NEW 2006? You lucky scumbag! :D :D

Well, I thought I was lucky getting a new one. :doh:

e9999 said:
considering that probably only a very few percent of the cars sold in the coutnry are in excess of $55K, I'd say they better make you happy.

I'm getting the feeling they realize that. They're throwing me a few bones in the form of free Red Sox tickets (worth ~$100) from the GuidePoint guys and a free 15K service (worth ~$400).

Not to make you paranoid, but the airbag is a pretty sensitive issue. I would not want anybody to futz around with that. Tapping into the circuits is flat out unacceptable IMO. They better make sure all is well (all new wiring) and you better have it in writing that they checked it and fixed everything so they actually do it. Remind them -delicately- that their asses would be toast if the thing inflated suddenly on the freeway... or would not inflate in an accident...

That's definitely understood. I made my concerns about this pretty clear to them last Friday.

Bumper: I would insist on new one. Forget repairs! You bought a new vehicle not a used one. Everything better be new on it!

My understanding is that they've already ordered replacement parts for whatever was damaged. From what the salesperson said, only the bumper cap was damaged. And yes, everything better be new genuine Lexus parts and any paint work better be a perfect match.

Return it? well, that's gonna be hard. I would give them a chance to fix the problems first. But document everything so you have recourse. Or just try to return it and see what happens, if you're miffed enough. We actually did return a used 100 my wife bought (without me) that had some problems with the brakes and tires that they were not willing to fix to my satisfaction. Took a half day ending up in some yelling in the showroom (that shook them up a tad... :) )

I agree a return would be pretty difficult to pull off unless they're just not able to fix things right. It's pretty clear at this point that they're REALLY embarrassed and know they've royally screwed up. I ~should~ have it back Wednesday or Thursday, but told them the emphasis should be on getting it right rather than rushing it. In the meantime, I have a 2006 RX-330 loaner - not a bad vehicle, but it sure isn't an LX-470 (or Land Cruiser) and has a mega blind spot in the passenger side rear corner (and presumably on the driver's side too).

And keep the survey unsent until they have fixed it all. If you're not satisifed talk to the managers first and then the Lex rep.

they'll try to smooth talk you, be nice but forceful!

Now that I've calmed down, being nice might be an option :D. The forceful part is easy - I'm physically bigger than they are :D.

greynolds said:
Well, the sale is done so I'm not sure I have much recourse in cancelling it so long as they make good on it.

Well, I thought I was lucky getting a new one. :doh:

Lucky = YES! :)

And yes...you could cancel...no doubt. I had a LR3 buddy need a tow at 150 miles. The thing was dead. They cancelled the buy and bought a Lexus.

I assume they gave you a loaner??? I would want to go in and see what the damage to the bumper really is (before they fix it, put it up on a rack and look the whole LX over)??? If they just nicked the plactic cover then I would want a new cover, if they bent the bumper then I would want a new bumper and cover. When it came time to fix it I would want a loaner and free pick-up and delivery. I found with Lexus that you need to check the work before you drive away. I've owned a new SC400, LS400 and ES300. The service has always been good and they have always been nice but like any dealer they can make mistakes. Example in Atlanta when I took my wifes ES300 in for a service they forgot to put oil in the engine. They pulled it around after they took it through the wash and dryed it off. I got in it and drove off. Got about a block away and noticed the oil light was on, turned around and took it back. When I opened the hood I found a wrench and when the service manager and I checked the oil level we found there was no oil. Lexus and the dealer claimed that based on the amount of time it was without oil there was no damage done. They did comp that service and also gave me a free major service and the dealer warranteed the engine for 120K miles. It had 80K on it at this time. Well at 110K miles it started to smoke at startup and use oil (about 1 QT ever 2K miles, before this happened it never used any oil) I had already moved halfway across the country and I was not going to drive to Atlanta and argue with the dealer and just traded the ES300 in on a LC. Long story short you need to cover your ass. A damaged bumper can happen and it can be fixed and not have a long lasting effect to your LX470. Don't let this ruin your enjoyment of your new LX470, think about a "fair resolution" before you go to the dealership and then go for it. On the tire issue. I would include this with the damage discussion. If you got the Dunflops on your LX that could be a big part of your tire problem. I would get a commitment from the dealer that if the tires are still a problem they will replace all your tires with a good set of Michelins which will be a big win for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

I would want a lot more money than a couple of tickets and some free service that does not cost them $400. Just remember, you now have a painted rear bumper and that depreciates your car. There is no body shop that can do as good of a paint job, unless they are a hotrod shop the specialize in $$$ paint jobs on custom cars. Your standard shop is not going to do that.

Also, I would ask them if they will take the responsibility of the airbags deploying by accident or not at all. Ask them to replace the harness. Failing that, a new car. I would not settle for a repair on a brand new 06 car. They can cut their losses and still sell that one to someone that does not know it happened.

Kinda principal thing.

"I'm getting the feeling they realize that. They're throwing me a few bones in the form of free Red Sox tickets (worth ~$100) from the GuidePoint guys and a free 15K service (worth ~$400)."

I'm a little confused about who the "GuidePoint guys" are? Are they a third party vendor? Are you the customer of "Lexus" for this mod and GuidePoint was hired by Lexus dealer to do this work that they screwed up? or are you paying GuidePoint for this work directly? If you are dealing directly with the Dealer for the work GuidePoint performed then I would just put your concerns in writing to the GM of the Lexus dealership and cc the Lexus regional rep. If a problem surfaced down the road then you will end up with a good lawsuit. Also if there are any concerns the GM and Lexus might take another look at the work they did.

Can you say...... UNWIND ! :mad:

First of all, that GuidePoint system is a generic GPS based LoJack thing that the dealer made money on. And if the IDIOT that installed it tapped into the airbag for power, he was some kid working out of truck making $6 an hour. Ask to see a FACTORY service manual, and look up what the factory recomends for damaged wiring harness repair. It should say "replace harness". And I'm with Christo, $100 is a very cheap payoff the're trying to get away with. Sounds like you've rolled over for them so far. Stand your ground and get it "repaired correctly" not just "fixed".

I had a honda dealer try to bribe me for good ratings with free oil (oil only, not even a filter!) changes after crappy service they gave me. For one, they called me cheap for not wanting to pay $750 OVER invoice on the last model year of this vehicle (discontinued worldwide after that) when they had three sitting on their lots for months. Next, I had lojack installed and was supposed to pick it up on a specific day. It was a long drive (1.5 hrs) to the dealership, and when I arrived, they didn't have it installed, nor did they repark the car (it was still parked in the customer lot, where doors could bump it, etc.). Anyways, I ripped them badly on the customer service survey.

I've noticed that when shopping for my recently purchased LX, customer service as all Lexus dealers isn't the same. One I dealt with out of state, I couldn't even get them to email me pics or answer questions about the car they wanted to sell me! Since they dinged your bumper cover, I wouldn't settle for a replacement. The new bumper covers are typically primed black, and a shop has to paint/clearcoat them. Also, all body pieces have the original VIN inscribed on them. A different VIN suggests an accident when the vehicle is sold. I'd demand a new vehicle from Lexus regional service (they did buy back some GXs in '03 [first year of that model] due to complaints with steering vibration). If they resist, serve the local dealer with legal papers. I'm sure it would cost them more in legal fees than the slight depreciation on the '06 when they resell it.

SWUtah said:
I'm a little confused about who the "GuidePoint guys" are? Are they a third party vendor? Are you the customer of "Lexus" for this mod and GuidePoint was hired by Lexus dealer to do this work that they screwed up? or are you paying GuidePoint for this work directly? If you are dealing directly with the Dealer for the work GuidePoint performed then I would just put your concerns in writing to the GM of the Lexus dealership and cc the Lexus regional rep. If a problem surfaced down the road then you will end up with a good lawsuit. Also if there are any concerns the GM and Lexus might take another look at the work they did.

Sorry for the confusion - GuidePoint was hired by the Lexus dealer.

e9999 said:

E9999, I couldn't agree with this any more!

Regarding electrical gremlins, a friend bought a brand new Toyota Minivan. The dealer purchased aftermarket DVD installation did not go well and the vehicle was back in the Toyota dealer about 5 times in the first 3 months. They never did resolve the electrical issues.

On the 5th visit, the Manager, who was a friend of a friend saw them and asked them why the hell are you in the service dept. with your new Toyota? After explaining their story he bought the car back at full price and sold them a brand new Sequoia Limited at cost.

BTW, this is the only example of good Toyota service I know of and it was probably due to "knowing" someone:doh: Lexus on the other hand should have good service.

For the Supplemental Restraint System (air bags), have the service department pull the trouble codes. In the 2002 Factory Service Manual, there are 20 possible codes listed for the SRS. Get these codes into your notes and on to the LX regional rep. The SRS is one complicated system covering 115 pages in the FSM. Dealers have been known to disable the indicator light instead of fixing the problem.

The only time I ever had issues with a brand new vehicle, it was a disaster from then on. I wished a hundred times I would have walked back in and killed the deal, and in that case I was stuck with it for 3 years because of the depreciation hit. I sure don't want to rain on your parade, but I would demand another LX. Its just too much money at stake to have to deal with ANY issues .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom