New Lift Monday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This Monday I’m getting my lift installed. I was originally going to purchase it from Christo and install it with a friend (we did my 71 Bronco oh so many years ago) but neither of us seem to have the time due to work and his new child and I'm getting tired of waiting.

Currently the truck is stock except for the larger tires. The plan after the lift is to add sliders, Kamar tire carrier and ARB winch bumper up front (sans winch for now).

What I’m curious about is the selection of springs, I’m planning on the 850/863 setup and wondering what the ride is going to be like until I get the additional ballast bolted to the truck?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I got the same springs installed about 2 months ago. At first they were stiff as heck! But i believe some of that is due to my tires; they have very rigid sidewalls, even airing them down to 33 lbs still result in a stiff ride. I believe that the springs have now "broken in" because the ride seems to get better every day. Now i'm very pleased with the ride :D.

I helped a buddy put a lift on his cj about 3 years ago (help being the key word) in his driveway with no major problems. I ended up taking my truck to the local mechanic for the install. I'm glad i did! Especially when he let me watch him fark with those caster correction bushings. You should have heard him cursing me :flipoff2:. It's not a :banana: :banana: job!

I just put that spring combo on a few weeks ago. It does ride stiff has hell. My wife hates ridding in the vehicle. Not going to lie to ya. I have noticed that in the past week or so the ride has gotten better but still very stiff. If I had to do it over again a would order the 850 for front the the 860 for rear. I have not really notice the front being very stiff just the back. You really notice how stiff it is on the interstate. Rides like I am back in my leaf spring jeep. It does ride good when I load all my dogs up in ther and the camping stuff.

As for putting the lift on it was not too bad, If you don't count the shock bolts I broke off and stripped and everything I broke!!
I was able to do it with a little help from the wife and the dogs.

Tim

I have the 850/860 springs, N73/N74L, Wrangler MT/R tire combo. The tires ARE stiff! I run them at around 30psi for a decent ride when empty. The vehicle is raked toward the front since the rear is unloaded. And it rode very stiff(ly) until I installed Ranchos RS9000 shocks in the back. These are non gas charged shocks so the ride is a little better. I'll reinstall the OMEs after some more weight is added in the rear. However, I like the quality of the OMEs far better than Ranchos.

I recalled reading various comments, which I have revisited on the SOR archive, about how great the setup is and that the new springs/shock ate up washboard roads, which I end up on a lot and my wife hates! I'm assuming :rolleyes: that the harshness goes away when the truck is loaded; I just don't know if my wife won't kill me in the meantime (she hated the ride in the Bronco!). Since this is our ride, my daily driver but our adventure rig, we can only hope for the best.

Do I need the heavy for what is described? I’m pretty sure I do but I might as well ask.

Anymore comments from veterans of this setup? Thanks again!

If the springs are chosen correctly as per the weight specified by OME it should be fine. However it is clear from the above the ride and what people like is very personal. At the shop, when we do the install we will swap springs if the customer is not happy with how the ride turned out. On mail order it is a little difficult to do, so we always try to recommend on the conservative side. What accessories do you have on your truck?

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=8958;start=msg78333#msg78333 date=1071937266]
What accessories do you have on your truck?
[/quote]

Currently the truck is stock except for the larger tires (and that little gear I purchased from you). The plan after the lift is to add sliders, Kamar tire carrier and ARB winch bumper up front (sans winch for now).

I wish I could load it all up first but everyone is always saying "lift first!" and I'm easily swayed by all these fine folks here (well, most of them)!

If only I was in Colorado :-\

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=8958;start=msg78333#msg78333 date=1071937266]
If the springs are chosen correctly as per the weight specified by OME it should be fine. However it is clear from the above the ride and what people like is very personal. At the shop, when we do the install we will swap springs if the customer is not happy with how the ride turned out. On mail order it is a little difficult to do, so we always try to recommend on the conservative side. What accessories do you have on your truck? [/quote]

Ah, just another example of how nice it is to buy stuff from guys like Christo. He, Ben and Robbie will spend time with you to make sure you hopefully get exactly what you need.

Echo - good luck with the install. I shouldn't take long, but be sure to hit the bolts with PB Blaster or something else a few days ahead of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom