New Lift build out help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey group, looking for some input on putting together a lift for my new 94 FJ80. Looking at the "lift kits" options from the big 3, Ironman, Dobinsons, OME. Just not finding one that seems to have what I am looking for. Curious to see what have y'all actually installed.

Currently stock height springs most likely.
This vehicle is almost done with a 6.0 LQ4 & 4L80 swap. I am only looking for 2.5" - 3" lift to get maybe 35" tires. This is not for rock crawling. Looking to do trail rides, camping with kids, hunting trips.

Current set up is ARB front bumper, no winch, but plan to modify bumper to add one.
No rear bumper, plan is to get one.
No rear deck, that will be way down the road, I would replace rear springs if I got one.

What I like so far is the Dobinson VT springs, that variable ride seems interesting.
I like the ironman drop brackets over bushing caster correction.
Ill get the Delta rear panhard bracket.

My questions are do you need, or "have to have" new front panhard bar, rear adjustable links. Seems like some of that stuff in the "complete kits" may be unnecessary for what Im trying to build for.

Are remote reservoir shocks necessary on a trail at slow speeds? Isn't that for heat dissipation for high cycle rates or large swings on a shock?

Do I stop bitching and just buy the whole damn kit? Price differences between a basic OME kit from Slee to others is huge. Just looking for a little help sifting out the marketing hype.

looking at the Dobinson 144VT and 145VT springs.
Thanks all, any input is welcome!

My experience with bushings was less than optimal. Did they help, yes. Did they resolve the steering issues NO! I added the Delta radius arms and OMG!, what a difference. Caster correction plates, the EM Keith drop brackets or replacement of the radius arms are the only real option (other than a axle cut and turn) that I know of that will correctly bring caster back to where it needs to be. And the difference is more than significant. Do yourself a favor, don't fool yourself by using the bushings for now. Save up a few more months and do it right the first time.

There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it again.

My experience with bushings was less than optimal. Did they help, yes. Did they resolve the steering issues NO! I added the Delta radius arms and OMG!, what a difference. Caster correction plates, the EM Keith drop brackets or replacement of the radius arms are the only real option (other than a axle cut and turn) that I know of that will correctly bring caster back to where it needs to be. And the difference is more than significant. Do yourself a favor, don't fool yourself by using the bushings for now. Save up a few more months and do it right the first time.

There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it again.
That’s the truth man. Always have the money to buy whatever it is the second time around! Funny thing is I’ve never even driven a land cruiser. I got this as a project and went straight to a LS swap. Bought it motor blown. Rust free DFW grocery getter triple lock. Doing a “mild build” ya know replace everything

FWIW I've been happy with my Dobinsons 1.75" lift with control arm drop brackets. Mine is not a hardcore wheeler but it goes everywhere I point it :)

1677272408666.png

Hey looking at the ICON 3" kit, did someone mention that the dobinson shocks are slightly different lengths from driver to passenger side? Does anyone know if ICONs are that way?

Dobinsons springs are slightly different heights but the shocks are the same.

Springs sitting flat on the workbench:

1677789446011.png

OME, driver's side is longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom