New Leather in Steering Wheel ...... again (With Pictures) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few days ago I tried to install a new leather on my steering wheel and I was able to do it, several defects in the final product, but the main one that make me do it all over again was the color, it was too light and I wanted some brown darker.

I have found my first piece of leather here in Tijuana for less than $5 dollars, there is this shop where they actually sell you the left overs and you have to dig the pile of leather pieces to find the one that you are looking for, at the time I was in the shop I did not bring a sample with me and I end up choosing a lighter color.

Anyway, even though I was not completely convinced with the color I went up and installed it, it was going to take it as a practice for the right one.

On my last week trip to Culiacán I went to another talabarteria (Shops where they work with leather products) and they were actually doing a MAZDA steering wheel with new leather and I ask him about the price of the leather plus the work and He said $1,300 pesos (Around $70 dollars), If I would have known about those prices I would have gotten my steering wheel with me, it can be done in 1 day.

So, this time I was carrying my original OEM leather to look for the right color and he said to me that I am never going to find it since it is painted, the color is like chocolate, but th egood news is that I was able to find a pretty good match and I brought the piecec of leather with me back home in Tijuana.

Starting with the new leather and looks amazingly great, but, believe it or not, after doing it for the second time, I wrongly cut the spokes and I end up pulling as much as I could the leather in the bottom of the wheel and it did not end up pretty well as I was expected, so here are the pics, please let me know if you have any questions, I can try to answer them pretty soon.
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-18 at 10.19.01 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-29 at 9.13.23 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-29 at 9.13.04 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-28 at 10.48.48 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-28 at 10.49.34 PM.jpeg

I've done this and it's is WAY harder than it looks. Your first one looks better than my first try. Upholstery shops that I have talked to either won't do steering wheels or charge $200-300 USD. $70 is just crazy cheap.

Did you soften the leather first? Did you use heat to shrink it in place?

I've done this and it's is WAY harder than it looks. Your first one looks better than my first try. Upholstery shops that I have talked to either won't do steering wheels or charge $200-300 USD. $70 is just crazy cheap.

$70 Dollars is very cheap even for us that have a salary in pesos, so now you know when coming to Mexico do not leave your steering wheel and come back with a very well done work and $70 dollars less in your pocket, probably this is even cheaper if you go more to the center of México.

MHO is that is not that hard, all the work that you see so far was done from 7:00 pm thru 11:00 pm, I think that I still need 1 or 2 hours to complete it, I am thinking on redoing the bottom part again to see if I can better straighten the leather in there.

Nope, It was not needed, when you pull te leather it takes the needed shape

Agreed, $70 is way cheap. I used to work at an upholstery shop, and have done this. It is a royal PITA and 5 years ago we used to charge $400+ to recover steering wheels.

Mine needs done, I just haven't brought myself to do it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom