New LC owner - FJ40/GM engine swap - gauge cluster question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am VERY new to the Landcruiser world. My LC came with a GM350 engine swap and '82 FJ transmission. It also has one of the goofy electronic replacement gauge clusters (I hate it!). I would like to go back to a stock gauge cluster but wonder if they are compatible. Can I simply swap back to an OEM gauge or is there some way to convert them.

123662946_10219408231731799_3186634154520457924_o.jpg

Congrats on the new toy!

I also have a SBC V8. Mine came with aftermarket gauges so not sure how a stock cluster would work. Unless you are planning a total re-wire I’d leave it alone if it works. Post a pic of your current set up

Nice garage BTW

First of all, welcome to MUD:flipoff2: (that is the official "MUD salute".) Second, either put the year and series in your signature or add it to every thread you start. Third, "goofy electronic replacement gauge clusters" doesn't describe anything. If you really want help be very precise in what is wrong or which part you are dealing with. Pictures of all of the sides of the part will be helpful.

This is very important, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY when playing with the instrument cluster!!!!! If you choose not to, then the short that will occur will be followed by a sucking sound that is cash flowing out of your wallet.

You probably can use a stk gauge cluster if you use the stk FJ40 sending units wired with the stk wiring harrness. The FJ40 oil press sending unit has different threads than the SBC, but the threads are close enuff to thread in without a problem. The FJ40 stk water temp sending unit needs an adapter that Toyota sells to screws in to the SBC cyldr head. I don't recall the part #, hopefully someone will chime in with that info, or use the search function.

This is very important, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY when playing with the instrument cluster!!!!! If you choose not to, then the short that will occur will be followed by a sucking sound that is cash flowing out of your wallet.
I am definitely familiar with this "feature" as a Willys M38 owner.

First of all, welcome to MUD:flipoff2: (that is the official "MUD salute".) Second, either put the year and series in your signature or add it to every thread you start. Third, "goofy electronic replacement gauge clusters" doesn't describe anything. If you really want help be very precise in what is wrong or which part you are dealing with. Pictures of all of the sides of the part will be helpful.
Thanks for the suggestion - signature added with some detail

124557090_10219408273292838_4612381527272140436_o.jpg

You will need to source a 2nd Gen Cluster for that year of 40, it has terminal posts for the sensors instead of a connector. If you get a 3rd Gen you will need to source the circular connector to go with it or a field engineering fix to work around not having it. Dakota Digital is another alternative but it is still an electronic gauge set.

You will need to source a 2nd Gen Cluster for that year of 40, it has terminal posts for the sensors instead of a connector. If you get a 3rd Gen you will need to source the circular connector to go with it or a field engineering fix to work around not having it. Dakota Digital is another alternative but it is still an electronic gauge set.
I hadn't seen the Dakota Digital option - that is actually very cool (but damn pricey)! Would this be compatible with SBC sending units?

Dakota digital are awesome. They come with sensors and adapters to fit most engines. You will need to find the metal bezel as those are resided
IMG_20201106_002840841_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20201106_000421121.jpg

They don't inlcude a bezel at that price???

All you need is to find a temp and oil pressure gauge "sending unit" that can screw into your motor and use the correct ohms for the toyota gauges.
I'm sure someone has mentioned what that spec is for whatever year gauges you have.
New sending units will have it documented.
And as easy as this sounds, I'm sure it's still pretty hard to find.

if anyone can supply the part numbers for the sending units that would really help. I will need to do this conversion as well. thanks

You can use a stock cluster. Someone on here used to sell a plate that allowed you to mount auto meter gauges across the bottom row for the small ones.
There was someone 3D printing a test run, here in Boise, of a mounting system for that... but I can't remember who it was and haven't seen another posting of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom