New Laser Cut Key w/ JDM VIN? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you rotated the steering wheel while trying to twist the key?

You may have, but you never said flat-out “steering lock isn’t the issue”.

The steering lock works great in my 80, it kept my sister from diving my 80 to Home Depot one day until she got me on the phone ;)

-She’d never had a steering lock ‘kick’ on her, so she never even knew about them. I was surprised as she’s mid-40’s & levelheaded.
But some people just never had one engage.

The steering wheel is def locked. I've tried turning/jiggling to no avail...

So I parked my truck the other day and when I came out, I couldn't turn the key. I tried EVERYTHING. The steering wheel was locked, so that didn't help. I'm not super sure what's up, but I think it's either the ignition cylinder is broken or my key is just too worn out. I'm hesitant to think it's the key since I've had no issues before, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than replacing the cylinder. So before I go buying a new ignition cylinder, I'd like to try getting a new key cut. However, my 80 is a JDM import and the VIN number can never be found when they look it up here in the States.

So, two questions I guess:
1.) Can I get a new key cut with the JDM VIN at all? Anywhere?

2.) I have not been able to find a ignition cylinder with the internal laser cut that mine has (I'd like to be able to bring it to a lock smith and have them match it so the key still works for all the doors and ignition w/out having to have two keys). Is this possible?

Thanks for any help. It hurt my heart to see her on a tow truck...
Damn Dude your Avatar is super annoying

Damn Dude your Avatar is super annoying

1565621915238.png

The pictures are fine it's the flashing that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I get it though you need attention

Last edited:
The pictures are fine it's the flashing that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I get it through you need attention

*though

I went through this recently. Got the numbers off the right front (driver if RHD) door lock, brought them to the Lexus dealership to cut the keys. Toyota can't make interior cut keys. Keys ended up being just fine, but the locks were so gummed up that nothing I sprayed in them would help. Brought them to a locksmith who had to soak them in a solvent for quite a while before he could take them apart for rebuild.

Since you are having problems with the steering column lock, Im guessing a new key is probably the ticket. But if you need locks rebuilt in the denver area I know a guy.

--edit--

Also, you need to be in park with the shifter button fully clicked and locked in to place. Wiggle the shifter and pull the button outwards.

Last edited:
I didn't realize Denver, where at?

OK, just because I have dropped everything to 'rescue' a family member who's car 'wouldn't start', twice, for this solution... They had stopped the car, turned off the key and done whatever they were stopped for, got back in and - no start.

Are you -sure- the transmission is in Park? If it isn't making it all the way into Park, it won't start. The linkage could be worn and not 'making it' quite there.

Try going up to Neutral from the other end of it. L1, L2, D, N. They'll start in Neutral.

OK, just because I have dropped everything to 'rescue' a family member who's car 'wouldn't start', twice, for this solution... They had stopped the car, turned off the key and done whatever they were stopped for, got back in and - no start.

Are you -sure- the transmission is in Park? If it isn't making it all the way into Park, it won't start. The linkage could be worn and not 'making it' quite there.

Try going up to Neutral from the other end of it. L1, L2, D, N. They'll start in Neutral.

Thanks. I've tried jiggling it while in P, moving the shifter from P down the line and back up, tried it in N... no go.

I've been tossing around the idea of buying this expensive-ass new lockset for it (JDM Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 HDJ81 HZJ81 OEM Ignition Cylinder Door Lock SET | eBay) and replacing the whole shebang. My driver door lock is finicky anyways and by the time I add up the cost of a key (and potentially another ignition cylinder), the cost starts to add up. Then I consider my time, which isn't trivial. This way, I'd have brand new keys and locks identical to the original set (with a spare and key code), one key works everything, and I won't have to worry about it (probably) ever again.

I'd first pull the ignition lock and make sure it is really the problem. If so, I'd pull all the locks and have them rebuilt, likely for significantly less $$ and the same performance (if not better, being brand new lube vs. the possibly decades old stuff sitting in the 'new jdm' locks). Only downside is a few more days of downtime.

I'd first pull the ignition lock and make sure it is really the problem. If so, I'd pull all the locks and have them rebuilt, likely for significantly less $$ and the same performance (if not better, being brand new lube vs. the possibly decades old stuff sitting in the 'new jdm' locks). Only downside is a few more days of downtime.

I haven't been able to turn the key to pull it out. To get it out, I'd have to ruin it.

Thanks. I've tried jiggling it while in P, moving the shifter from P down the line and back up, tried it in N... no go.

I've been tossing around the idea of buying this expensive-ass new lockset for it (JDM Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 HDJ81 HZJ81 OEM Ignition Cylinder Door Lock SET | eBay) and replacing the whole shebang. My driver door lock is finicky anyways and by the time I add up the cost of a key (and potentially another ignition cylinder), the cost starts to add up. Then I consider my time, which isn't trivial. This way, I'd have brand new keys and locks identical to the original set (with a spare and key code), one key works everything, and I won't have to worry about it (probably) ever again.

Just a thought, but if you're going to consider going that route - is there any reason to not do it with US style keys instead of the funky inverted design-on-the-inside JDM ones?

I.e. same parts but with US style locks and keys so you can buy replacements at any Toyota dealer.

These are the same as the lx450 keys so parts are easy to get here also if you like the style.

The steering wheel is def locked. I've tried turning/jiggling to no avail...

Bear with me here - if the steering lock is engaged you gotta hit either limit to disengage it to even jiggle a worn key to work.

I’d call a locksmith out if you can’t get it to work, buying a new lockset is going to be more than a callout charge for a mobile locksmith van.

Unless you just want to jump to a external cut key, then sure - order up the lockset.
But those internal keys seem to last, one of the refinery guys has a Lexus SCxxx with crazy miles, it wasgoing to get scrapped years ago when it “acted up” - it hasn’t & just won’t die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom