New landcruiser to BC, new member! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca

Hey folks

As of last night I am officially the owner of a 1992 jdm 4.2L TD 80 series. It shall be here in about 5 weeks (I can't wait, argh!)

Sorry I don't have any good pics of it yet, the detailed pics were removed from the auction site after the bidding was done but before I managed to grab them. All I have is a thumbnail, but in a few days should have even more detailed pictures.

I was quite lucky, I dealt with an old friend who knew the broker on the other shore. He inspected it personally and let me know it's detailed condition, including that it hadn't been smoked in.:)

Hope to meet up with some peeps eventually, I'm in Langford (just outside Victoria). :cheers:
31679_T02.jpg

By the way, what's your opinion on the jdm bush guard and roof rack on this rig? I was thinking of removing the bush guard, getting rid of it, and putting something like an ARB bumper on. The roof rack could be useful, it's a bit too blingy for my taste though - was thinking of painting it a rubberized black. Thoughts? Experiences? :)

nice rig,

how many kms?
What auction grade?
Diff locks?
Winch
any other goodies?

I'll be at royal roads on sunday may 2nd until the 21st or may if you want to check out an 81.

Last edited:
nice rig,

how many kms?
What auction grade?
Diff locks?
Winch
any other goodies?

I'll be at royal roads on sunday may 2nd until the 21st or may if you want to check out an 81.

Cool, love to meet up. Will you be online at that time?

163,000 KM
Grade 3.5
Yes
No :frown: - my next purchase? Any good leads?
5 inch lift, incl shocks + swing arm - not sure on condition of tires
2-tone suede seats
Rear ladder - any good?
CB radio

nice score. helps when youve got a solid contact on the other end. definitely lose the bush guard and replace with an arb. and definitely keep the roof rack (black would suit it better), those come in handy and are a nice design. lots of winches to choose from, depending on the bumper which may limit your options. any idea on the lift thats in there?

welcome to the cruiser addiction :flipoff2:

nice score. helps when youve got a solid contact on the other end. definitely lose the bush guard and replace with an arb. and definitely keep the roof rack (black would suit it better), those come in handy and are a nice design. lots of winches to choose from, depending on the bumper which may limit your options. any idea on the lift thats in there?

welcome to the cruiser addiction ************

Thank you!

Any idea how much an ARB will run me... or if anyone's selling a used one?

What kind of paint should I use, so it doesn't chip easily? Think I can spray it myself?

I'm not sure exact details on the lift, but can probably update once I get it here. Plus lots of pics ;)

Did you get the little mirror on the LF fender too? I wouldn't spend any money until the thing has been on the hoist of a trusted mechanic and thoroughly gone through. ( or do it yourself...) Unless you are independently wealthy, of course. Would suck to get stuck with a big unexpected repair after ventilating the bank account on a nice new ARB or winch! Sonny's right, X2 on losing the bush guard.

Great truck!

Might I recommend that you introduce yourself to the VI Cruisers seeing as you are from Langford (they have a forum here on MUD too).

Getting hooked up with your local club is a great way to meet like minded cruiserheads as well as to share ideas, knowledge, and all those spare parts that we need from time to time!

Yes, that is possible :)

Thank you sir! :D

Nice to meet everyone here too. Do you guys have any regular meeting spots, or go on cruises now and then?

Hi, and welcome.

We meet monthly, usually the 3'rd Wednesday of the month at Chequered Flag on Millstream. We usually have a monthly club run; next one is on Saturday the 8th of May; there's almost always an empty seat. A couple times a year we have tech days.

Hope to see you on the trails and at a club meeting soon.

-Steve (VI Cruisers Treasurer)

Welcome. If you get a chance do the BEB's. Mine were starting to pit at 174,000km.

Last edited:
What wussypup said X2:cheers:

Hi, and welcome.

We meet monthly, usually the 3'rd Wednesday of the month at Chequered Flag on Millstream. We usually have a monthly club run; next one is on Saturday the 8th of May; there's almost always an empty seat. A couple times a year we have tech days.

Hope to see you on the trails and at a club meeting soon.

-Steve (VI Cruisers Treasurer)

Cool. I won't have my truck by the 8th obviously, but would love to come along if someone has a spare seat! I don't smell and could bring snacks.:popcorn:

i'll be down there send me a pm. I am on here at least daily.
save you money until you have it up on the hoist and see whats going on.
You never know what you will run into.
i lucked out on mine that really didn't need much.
I hope yours turns out the same

Cool. I won't have my truck by the 8th obviously, but would love to come along if someone has a spare seat! I don't smell and could bring snacks.:popcorn:

Not having a ride is no big deal. Just ask myself or our club president!! lol

My truck still has the first tank of diesel in it and I bought it 6+ months ago. Not cause it gets good milage but because its been off the road that long. People always let me tag along on the runs and its a ton of fun. I bet its even more fun with a rig but I wouldn't know.:) Hope to see you at a meeting!

Cam

Hey guys, I just got off the phone with a shop that does BC inspections for JDM vehicles. There are some requirements in addition to the DRL that I didn't know! Can anyone offer advice?

• The TIRES must be DOT (and apparently most are not?)
• Reflectors front and back (on the sides of the truck?) have to say DOT. Probably not a big deal to fix.
• The HEADLIGHTS have to be switched out for USDM ones, because they angle the wrong direction!!! They said the USDM headlights are hard to find and very costly.
• 50% of the landcruisers are 24 Volt instead of 12? :eek:

Unless your Cruiser has been altered, as far as I know, you should only have to:
- install a DRL system
- replace headlamps with LHD style
- replace front corner marker lamps with yellow bulbs
- replace tires if no DOT marker

As far as I know, all of the glass and other lights are DOT.

Whether the taillights meet the rear, red, side reflector requirement or not seems to be interpretted inconsistently. Pretty easy to glue a DOT red reflector in the same location as the US market marker light. Don't give them an easy way to fail your Cruiser.

For headlamps, you have two choices: US market, or european market e-codes. Your JDM will have the wiring for the e-codes, but you would have to adapt it to work with the US headlamps. Expect to spend $300-400 to replace the headlamps with new e-codes.

Some sources that may have them:
EBI
RADD Cruisers
Rocky Mountain Imports
ATEB
Silk Road Autos
I got mine from ATEB. EBI is a MUD vendor. RADD Cruisers and Rocky Mountain are local.

The e-codes are considered by some (many? most?) to be better than the US market lamps.

You should source your big end bearings (BEBs) now and plan on installing ASAP. Do NOT procrastinate on this!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom