New knocking/ticking noise after headgasket job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To start it off I have a 93 fzj80 just did the head gasket and full valve job with an egr delete. Im hearing a knocking/ ticking noise now after about 2 months of driving it around. It only ticks at idle randomly and makes the noise when im barely on the gas. But once I put the truck under more load the noise goes away. Doesnt matter what speed im going as long as i barely push down the gas the ticking/knocking starts. Ive done some basic things like plugs and wires dizzy cap and rotor also checked timing.

Ujoints, exhaust leaks, exhaust shields, power steering pump gear, belts, rocks in the brakes etc

Add bad water pump. Mine knocked straight out of the box (on the truck, not literally when I took it out of the box)

First couple of steps - take off belts and then check with mechanic scope if still there.

Last edited:
Sorry for the super delayed response I really appreciate the info. Checked around with a stethoscope and couldn't pin point the noise. So I pulled the valve cover and checked the clearances. Here’s the results
340F426A-FDD9-421F-8014-3B980735101D.jpeg
#11 and #12 both intake and exhaust are out of spec and i wasnt sure on the measurements for 1 and 2 lobe’s on exhaust side. So im going to pull the cams tonight and hopefully be able to shuffle the shims around to get it right. And yes I did do all the work myself except the head work. I should’ve checked the clearances myself before I put it back together… hopefully this fixes the tick.

Sorry for the super delayed response I really appreciate the info. Checked around with a stethoscope and couldn't pin point the noise. So I pulled the valve cover and checked the clearances. Here’s the results View attachment 3077798#11 and #12 both intake and exhaust are out of spec and i wasnt sure on the measurements for 1 and 2 lobe’s on exhaust side. So im going to pull the cams tonight and hopefully be able to shuffle the shims around to get it right. And yes I did do all the work myself except the head work. I should’ve checked the clearances myself before I put it back together… hopefully this fixes the tick.

You don't want to pull cams out just to change shims. Should be 100% achievable with cams in place
Shims are a minor maintenance item. Pulling cams is not

Last edited:
You don't want to pull cams out just to change shims. Should be 100% achievable with cams in place
Shims are a minor maintenance item. Pulling cams is not
15C61DC7-655B-4A1C-8B18-8D7628D56288.jpeg
45859585-1B02-45CD-A9A9-E190FEC42AC5.jpeg

Im just going by what the FSM says. Not sure why its not possible? Maybe it is?

Not one of his better videos^^, but with a look

I think getting to the shims on cylinder six would be a bit awkward.
If you need to change cylinder six shims, I would persevere as long as it took rather than pull the cams out.

Not one of his better videos^^, but with a look

I think getting to the shims on cylinder six would be a bit awkward.
If you need to change cylinder six shims, I would persevere as long as it took rather than pull the cams out.

I’ve seen his videos he’s awesome and I followed the head gasket series to change mine out. But what’s so bad about pulling the cams out? Mine are already out lol. I followed his part one video where he removes the cams to a t and made sure the cams came out level.

If you already have cams out, it's a moot point.

My thoughts are, every time you take them out there's a chance of doing damage to cams, bearing journals, timing gears, fasteners and threads etc etc

If it's not necessary, why take them out and let the Toyota magic out (as someone put it recently)

If you already have cams out, it's a moot point.

My thoughts are, every time you take them out there's a chance of doing damage to cams, bearing journals, timing gears, fasteners and threads etc etc

If it's not necessary, why take them out and let the Toyota magic out (as someone put it recently)
That makes sense all try and be careful.

I think you need a special tool for the valve adjustment without taking the cans out. IIRC @rc51kid just did this recently.
Yeah you do that’s another reason why I pulled the cams didnt want to wait a week and keep driving it because this is my daily. The ticking hasn’t gotten any worse since the first post so thats nice.

Well I replaced the shims and it’s still making the noise. So this beats me, I’m going to take it into a shop this week. All update you guys on what they say.

^Just thought Id post a vid of the noise incase someone down the road is having this problem.
At time mark 0.02 you can hear the metal sound and then when I give it gas the noise goes away.
Also heard in the second clip at 0.12 when I pan the camera over to the passenger side and same thing, it goes away with more throttle.
Last clip is showing engine bay noise when in park and how it doesn’t make the noise when i rev er park.

The Landcruiser shop said it should be exhaust related just replaced the gaskets around the cat and the noise is still there lol. The manifold and downpipe gaskets are new aswell. So my search continues…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom