New "kid" on the block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
just joined the forum to get as much info as possible on owning, maintaining, and sharing "sea stories" on L/C's.
As I mentioned above, I skipped the researching prior to buying part. I already did!
Picked up a '91, 200k miles. I guess my first thing is what should I do first? I know its a lot of miles but I figured its a Toyota. Here's the rest of the details: Purchased and owned in SOCAL, body in excellent shape, lifted about 3". I know very little about 4x4's and I'm eager to learn. One thing that cought my attention was its front bumper. It's sticker reads arb and it looks awesome!
Anyway, paid 5k, not sure if it was a good move but, oh well, a little too late now!
Thanks in advance for any info, tips, etc, you can share with me.
-DH

...ohhhh, that's too bad, maybe you should sell it an buy a 97 :D

Just kidding, welcome to the list :beer:- lots of stuff to learn here and elsewhere (join the 80sCool list, visit Slee Off Road, etc). &nbsp:Do you know the service history? If not, you should swap all the fluids (oil, tranny, differentials, etc), check the belts and hoses and look up 'birfield repack'. You may also want to buy a factory service manual.

Cheers, Hugh

Hello DH and welcome to 80s ownership and to this forum.

All of the 80 series are awesome for off-road use so you made a good vehicle selection (but we're a little prejudiced in this section :G)

The ARB front bull bar is far and away the preferred winch bumper by 80 series owners. It was basically the only choice here in the USA, other than custom, until a few months ago. Hopefully you got the winch version but either way you got a great front bumper.

Sounds like you got it for a good price. At 200k miles, you should be prepared to spend some money on normal maintenance items like brakes, axle service, fluids, belts, etc. If you are handy or have some friends that work on their trucks then you can do all of these things yourself. Many on this list will give you tips and advice. Read the technical articles and past posts then post your questions on a specific repair.

Once you have the truck mechanically sound and you have confidence that it will take you out in the boonies and get you back, you can start spending *lots* of money on goodies. We'll be glad to help lighten your pocketbook.

Post some pics when you get a chance.
-B-

Hi Beowulf and Hugh,
Thanks for the info.
As soon as I get some pictures I will post them.
Here are some more updates on my recent purchase. The interior is in really good shape, although the driver's seat has a small tear near the base of the seat. Engine oil just changed, not sure about other fluids. It has a huge service history folder which I need to put in order (looks like the previous owner was loyal to the TOYOTA brand, most done at TOYOTA dealers in CA - some of those bills were $$$$$!!!!!) Some receipts that have caught my attention were: steering box replacement, dozens of oil changes, suspension work, rebuilt transmission, several brake jobs, exhaust work, two O2 sensors replaced due to some engine code that popped up, oil pan replaced, power steering hoses, Most of these I mentioned were done in 2000 and 2001. Other items of interest: custom stereo with thumping speakers (first thing to go on it!), custom wheels (wish I had originals), huge tires (I think they are 33, but would like to go a little smaller). The front bumper is removed and has an arb as stated originally, and it has a place to mount a winch.
My first plan is to get the Haynes manual, or a factory repair manual. Any ideas on where to get a factory manual?
Again, I'm new to this forum and anything related to 4x4. Anywhere I can p/u an ih8mud sticker?
One more thing. Since this was a CA car, I've been told they have more emission equipment on the engines than the other states. I've been told if I remove them, it should slightly increase hp. Any thoughts? What exactly do I remove?
Anyway, enough for now.
Again, thanks for the info.
-DH

DH

>> Engine oil just changed, not sure about other fluids. <<

There is a recent thread giving all capacities and recommended fluids.

>> custom wheels (wish I had originals), <<
These pop up on eBay at very reasonable prices from time to time. The 91-92 wheels are were 15" and different from the 93-97.

>> huge tires (I think they are 33, but would like <<
>> to go a little smaller). <<

Most people that are in to off-roading their trucks prefer larger tyres. Take some time to read the posts here and other places before you go smaller.

>> My first plan is to get the Haynes manual, <<
>> or a factory repair manual. Any ideas on where <<
>> to get a factory manual? <<

Get both. If you can only afford one, get the FSM. Again, there is a recent thread with the contact information for the Toyota group that sells all the manuals; owner's manuals and service manuals. I will dig up the old posts if you can't find it with a search here on ih8mud. Another source is your local Toyota parts department or PM cruiserdan; he can get you the manuals and other goodies at a discount off of the list price.

>> Anywhere I can p/u an ih8mud sticker? <<

I believe this is on the home page.

>> I've been told they have more emission equipment <<
>> on the engines than the other states. I've been told <<
>> if I remove them, it should slightly increase hp. Any <<
>> thoughts? What exactly do I remove? <<

I think all US FJ80's and FZJ80's were 50 states vehicles meaning yours is just like every other FJ80 sold in North America. The 3FE engines are not very powerful and there isn't much you can do to significantly (i.e. noticeably) increase the HP. On the 1FZ-FE engines (93-97) you can add a supercharger from TRD. Your best bet to increase the performance on the 91-92 FJ80's is to install lower gears (higher numerically.) &nbsp:De-smogging is done all the time but you will be creating other issues depending on what you remove. Check out the 3FE section at www.birfield.com. I'm sure this subject comes up often.

-B-

>> The jump from a 97 FZJ80 to a 98 UZJ100 is about $8-$10,000.   <<

I just checked eBay and may have overstated this price difference. The difference is closer to $4-8,000.

-B-

(Somehow this reply got on the wrong thread... sorry. I'll repost.)

price jump '97 to '98

Edmunds has it closer to your original estimate
the 1997 loaded LC at a dealer price of 20.5 or private party of 17.5
and the 1998 changes to a dealer price of 28.3 or private 25

I bought a 1999 loaded cruiser in Dallas from the lexus dealership (one owner traded in and up for the LX) last month for 31 and thought I did fairly well.

The 100s are more mannerly on the highway, while the 80s fare better on the range. Sooner or later, the 100s and their stiffer frame will hit the range and I think they'll do well.

LT
:wave:

da_haole.
welcome to the home of the mighty 3fe.
you stated your truck is in so cal and I assume you are too. If you are really interested I have the oe set of rims for a 91-92 cruiser but I feel you would be wasting you rmoney, depending on what you are looking for. if you plan to take it off road and into some fun spots just get some steelies. If you do not want to really wheel your truck hard core mine are in northern washington.
Check through the service records and see if the front end (birfield) joints have been done. aside form fluids that is what I would be concerned with. welcome and hope you enjoy.
Dave :beer:

Congrats, now sell it and buy one with the 1FZ-FE. :flipoff2:

Seriously, congrats. Now don't bother wasting time with all the needless steps in between - repeat after me, BIG MEATY SWAMPERS. :D

Sounds like you got a great deal and got a very capable rig. Now go through it like a fine tooth comb then beat on it like it was Cdan's momma. :slap:

DH...Now that you have met Junk, you have been baptized into the site. You will be continually baptized and no one has been left out. Anyway, congrats on the 80 and even though the 3fe isn't the most powerful motor it will run FOREVER. You did get a good deal on it and should be proud. Hopefully Hltoppr will chime in here sometime. He has a '92 with the OME lift. He runs 31" BFG MT's. It seems to be a good choice without changing gears. As far as taking off emissions equipment, its not worth it. The systems today are faily efficent and integrated into other systems, like the computer.

Original owner purchased and owned in CA, sold to second owner who moved to Maine and then I picked it up. Seems like Cruisers are very popular up here. I've seen a lot of 85's through 88's. Rust is a big problem though. This one is pristine underneath.
Upon moving up here, we had some serious snowstorms. I've been told they have become experts up here clearing the roads but I've never seen so much salt used - clearly the main reason for so many rotted out LC's.
I'm taking some pics. How do I post them?
Thanks for the help compadres.
-DH

DH,
Advice on posting pics is better discussed in one of the forums set aside for the purpose.

Basics... Get your image in .jpg or .gif format and < 70k then attach it using the dialog below the "Message:" box that you normally use.

Alternative: Upload the images to a persistent web site like the one your ISP probably gives you. Try to keep the size around 800x600 or smaller, then use the [.img.] tags (remove the periods.)  Put the URL between the start/stop image tags.

If you don't understand the above then take it to the appropriate section here on ih8mud.  PM me if you don't get a response from someone else. I seldom venture out of the 80s section.

-B-

Congrats on the purchase. As BMT said, the 3FE is a heck of a good engine. For me, 31s work great, with no need for a gearing change. I wouldn't worry about increasing horsepower too much, it just isn't practical with that rig. Just have fun and wheel your junk!

-H-

(Back after a few days trying to decide on which HDTV to get. :-/ )

-H-

Easy decision. Just move in with Tyler. He needs a roommate and he now has a HUGE new HDTV. :D

-B-

H- I'm in the middle of my paramagic internship right now, woo hoo! If you ever want to get into the fire service it is definitely the way to go!

Cruiser content: w/out my fire service job I couldn't have bought my cruiser!

Da_Haole- sounds like a good deal you got, enjoy.

From working closely with SAR, I've got quite a few friends in EMS/Fire/Law Enforcement. I am actually debating a career change, but we'll see. I've got quite a chunk of student loans still to pay off....can you say "pair of new UZJ100s, boys and girls?" :-/

-H-

-H-

Can one sue one's self for malpractice? 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom