New Key FOB or new battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '99 and I have to get right up on the thing to lock and unlock the doors with the FOB.

Anyone else have this problem?

If so, do I need a new battery for the FOB or to replace the whole thing.

Has anyone had any success replacing their FOB with one from eBay or a used one? I've heard they can't be programmed. I've read the post on having a master key but that covers buying a new one from the factory. I can pick one up on ebay for 30-50 bucks, but if I can't program it, what's the use.

I'm thinking a might just get an aftermarket alarm on it.

Thanks for your help!

I have locked mine from about 3 car lengths away (with hand raised). Is that close or far?

New battery is about $6.00 at any Batteries Plus or Radio Shack, I will try that first.
When I changed mine it definitively improved, they seems to last less than in other cars I have.

BATTERY, definitely. As your power decreases, so does your range. My '99 w/ so-so battery has 25 yards. I guarantee a new one will increase range. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna get a new one today. I'll post results.

Battery. That is great news about you keeping your cruiser.

I noticed the same thing when I got my first LC this past January (100). Replaced the key-fob battery with a new one...no difference. I still need to be within 5-8' to reliably get the thing to work...oh well at least it works :rolleyes:

Well gotta new battery to replace my dead one. The only issue is a valid control. I inherited this working fob when I bought the car so I don't know if the battery was new or how old. Results -- new battery works the same as existing battery. Lock/Unlock from 20-25 yards away, flat terrain nothing between line of sight.

-- Mike

each of the 2 for the LX and the LC work from at least 50ft away.......

one of the LX's had never been used sense new, dead battery, replaced it, it works just like the other.

Landpimp said:
each of the 2 for the LX and the LC work from at least 50ft away.......

one of the LX's had never been used sense new, dead battery, replaced it, it works just like the other.

My 01 is the same way. I can lock the vehicle from at least 50 ft away including from inside my house. Changing the battery made no change in range.

On my 98 I have to be right on the truck to operate the remote. I'll put in a new battery in this weekend when I place the remote in a new rocketkey casing and report back if it makes a difference.

Update -

The new battery makes all the difference! Installed the new battery ($2.87 from Cdan) in my new casing (from rocketkeys on ebays) and I now have a better than 25yrd range.

Do you have to worry about losing any of the programing while changing out the battery? I hate to bug Cdan for $5 worth of batteries. Can we get these from radio shack or something?

Part number?

Thanks

No worries, any local battery store. You can write down the number or just take in the old...

That's the penalty for living behind the Orange curtain... Your nice weather is interfering...

I'm thinking there is just a problem with some of them. I got a new key all together and I can't open the rig while standing at the tailgate. I have to walk up to the rear doors sometimes. It's rediculous.

I just bought a battery today for one of mine I never use. Took out the dead one (that didn't work at all) and put in the new one.

No difference in range than the one I replaced in the other Key FOB 3 years ago.

Battery is easily found at any Radio Shack. It's a Lithium CR1616 3.0V battery. $3.16 plus tax...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom