new kayline stc top

alf

Visit site
Looking for feedback on the newly redesigned Kayline/STC FJ40 top. I understand that the door issues have been fixed and that the side and rear windows zip out.

alf

Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely NO reason to even consider ANYTHING but a Paki Top, except for time constraints, I should have saved the extra 300 to get Ehsan's top.
I kick myself in the ass every time I see Davids' paki top and then look at my Bestop crapper.
Never seen/used the Kayline top, but theres no way its as nice as a Paki top.
My $.02

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Visit site
I have an older Kayline, '95 era. When I was using it, I did not have a problem with it at all. (other than breaking belt loops on blue jeans, like many others on the door catch)I have seen many others since, and have talked with the people that own them, and they split on like and dislike 50/50. I would like to get a top from Eshan someday, but I do not have a need for one right now. I have half doors, and a bikini top. I am good to go, even in the cold.

Good luck!

-Steve

Visit site
Bailey,
I think it's good to have options.. While I have a Parts inc. top from pakistan and I like it I can see others wanting the new kayline, and it has different features. The kayline will fold down making your cruiser feel like is has no top. With an OEM top once you have the top off you still have the bows to contend with which may grab branches etc. Then you would have to break it down which takes some time. I've driven my cruiser with just the bows on and it's wierd feeling being in a skeleton. I'm glad to see stc step up and improve their product for the cruiser. I haven't seen the new stc top in person but it looks very nice from the reports.

Visit site
[quote author=wesintl link=board=1;threadid=9838;start=msg87607#msg87607 date=1073664415]
Bailey,
I think it's good to have options.. While I have a Parts inc. top from pakistan and I like it I can see others wanting the new kayline, and it has different features. The kayline will fold down making your cruiser feel like is has no top. With an OEM top once you have the top off you still have the bows to contend with which may grab branches etc. Then you would have to break it down which takes some time. I've driven my cruiser with just the bows on and it's wierd feeling being in a skeleton. I'm glad to see stc step up and improve their product for the cruiser. I haven't seen the new stc top in person but it looks very nice from the reports.
[/quote]
good info, thanks

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Website
www1.snapfish.com
no offense to the paki top...i love mine, but i've only had it a few months and the threading is coming undone on most of the straps, one strap is starting to split and, of course, you have to replace all of the hardware. it also is not a user friendly top which i expected (i also expected the poor hardware, but not the threading coming loose, especially so quickly). for someone looking for a part time top, i would recommend the stc, but i love the looks of the oem top and i needed something that would clear my rollbar which the stc top would not do.

Visit site
The new Kayline top is awesome! It has latches like the Bestop(no more destroyed belt looks or other trauma-ouch :'( ), and the hinge mounting.Those were the only good things about the Bestop doors IMNSHO) and yes the sides zip out as well as the back. :cheers:

Kayline was purchased by Specialty Top Co. They still use the www.kaylinetops.com address though.

Visit site
I too have the new STC top and really enjoy it. The only problem I have is that I ordered the tinted windows. In the rain at night the tinted windows SUCK! It's like driving a landcsape picture around. So I don't keep the door tops on anymore. Problem solved! I don't have any comparison with it for the other tops, as I went from the hard top to this one. FWIW, as with the other rail type top, if you have the top down while wheeling and snag something with the rail, It could possibly screw up the fit/seal. But that is a slight sacrifice. It beats drilling holes for snaps I guess.

Visit site
Whatever you get, avoid Bestop until they redesign it. If they had used snaps or turnbuckles it would not have been as bad as the velcro that won't stay attached without the doors on. Material and stitching is acceptable.

Visit site
[quote author=nuclearlemon link=board=1;threadid=9838;start=msg88163#msg88163 date=1073716922]
no offense to the paki top...i ..... and the threading is coming undone on most of the straps, one strap is starting to split and, of course, you have to replace all of the hardware. it also is not a user friendly top which i expected (i also expected the poor hardware, but not the threading coming loose, especially so quickly). for someone looking for a part time top, i would recommend the stc, but i love the looks of the oem top and i needed something that would clear my rollbar which the stc top would not do.
[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback and I apologize for the problem with the threading on the strap... I will have it improved on the future tops.. The seam will not open anywhere else though I am sure as it is double sewn and the rest of the top does not have to go through the same frictions..
Here are the pics of the seams..
silai2.jpg

silai.jpg

More on the sewing process here.. http://islamabadjeeps.com/mods/softtop.htm
Thanks again
Ehsan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom