New. Just screwed up my LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mauser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hello, i have been asking google questions about my LX470 and I keep getting sent here. There is a ton of info on this site and I thank you all for all the knowledge you share.

I have a 1998 Lx470. I only got one valet key when I bought it and was trying to follow the directions for a DIY immobilizer hack that I found online. I was able to read my eeprom after building the adapter with ponyprog. I tried zeroing the programming like the video, but could not write back to my ecu. I ended up erasing everything to Fs and now cant get the truck to start. I have the original dump off the ecu, but it wont write back to the eeprom.

I have tried to bypass the immobilizer using the relay with no luck. I'm hoping to find the answer here. thanks in advance

I do, I tried using it, but I'm Kind of in over my head

Yikes!

Couple thoughts, maybe try another program such as flashrom (but read up on the docs thoroughly first). I would also find the data sheet for the flash chip and make sure there's no write protection (sounds like there isn't though if you already zeroed out the chip).

What are you flashing with? Pi/BeagleBone?

I have tried only the two oldest versions of Ponyprog. They are the only ones that will run on my machine with a serial port. I will read up on the Flasrom program.

@Mauser , way to wade into the deep end on the early imobilizer, I'm glad to see more people trying to tackle this themselves.

Odd that you were able to write it once but not again unless you overwrote a soft lock bit or something?
I'm not much help but can you get another flash chip or is it solder onto the ECU board? Maybe you could flash another chip and pop that in?

Yeah, I thought the same thing, it has to be writable. It is soldered in, but I did order 20 more chips. I did save my original dump, but cannot write it back to the chip. I did try shorting one of the crystals, but there are 3 and I just tried the closest to the eeprom.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Please keep them coming. I have to step away from this project for a minute before my head explodes. I also have to run to the drugstore and pick up a pair of reading glasses so I can see to solder across the crystal to see if I can write to the EEprom.

I'm hoping I can just reprogram the chip, if I have no luck today I'll order an ecu tomorrow morning. If I am able to get my ecu programmed and the results repeatable I will be sure to do a writeup and post it here.

I've been kind of curious to give this a try, more out of curiosity than any real need right now. I don't think I would've had the balls to try it on my working ECU, I probably would've started with an eBayed (used) ECU, to verify that the procedure worked. I guess this advice is a little late now.

Please update this with your future progress.

Well I'm still trying. I have found a virgin dump file for a Landcruiser I will try to load onto the chip if I ever get it to write .The only time I get a successful write is when I write the same all Fs that I started with.

Yeah, I know I shouldnt have started with a good box, but the guy made it look so simple. Live and learn. Im usually pretty good at following directions. I'm not a computer guy at all, but I'm learning a lot. I'm just a welder. I have learned the hard way to keep the wife's laptop off of the tig table. The high freq will fry it .

Reactions: uHu
Kudos for attempting the hack. I’ve contemplated it as well. There are locksmiths that can flash your ECU. I’d call around and see if anyone local will do it for you.

The reason I even tried it was because the only locksmith around Albuquerque that says he could do it seems ro be a flake. I called him last Wednesday and talked to him. He was supposed to meet up with me Thursday, but wouldnt answer his phone or return my call . Josh's lock and key

I ordered another ecu. I am still going to try to get mine working though.

According to the crooks at the dealership the ecu has to be replaced. They want over a grand for the box and more than 200 bucks labor for the 2 minutes it takes to replace it.

Reactions: uHu
Wait, so you managed to zero it out? Were you able to write to the chip originally.

If so, then the car needs to go through it's programming mode with the master, secondary and valet key.

If you need an ECU, there's a 2000 Land Cruiser at the scrap yard here locally. I can find the cost, ship it to you and you can reimburse me. I imagine it'll be A LOT cheaper than a grand.

I was able to zero it, but it wont go into programming mode.

I already ordered a used ecu that is supposed to be guaranteed to work. It was right at 300 bucks.

If the Landcruiser close to you has part number 88661-60610 and if it could be had for around a hundred bucks I'd like to take you up on that offer Mr plow. I dont want to give up just yet.

I was able to zero it, but it wont go into programming mode.

I already ordered a used ecu that is supposed to be guaranteed to work. It was right at 300 bucks.

If the Landcruiser close to you has part number 88661-60610 and if it could be had for around a hundred bucks I'd like to take you up on that offer Mr plow. I dont want to give up just yet.

Probably cheaper than that. Let me check.

Probably cheaper than that. Let me check.

Also grab the key if you can find it, much easier if you managed to secure the master key with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom