New Italian Leather Steering Wheel Covers in Toyota Grey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MScruiser

obsessive-compulsive oppositional-defiant wise-ass
Threads
UPDATE: the final prototype is now done! I have contacted the seamstress who has already begun making the first batch.

Here are a few pics of the install, and final product. Again, I am extremely pleased with the way these have turned out!

5DAEABCB-388F-4F41-AF88-5E8F821B9220.jpeg

2BEAE958-4600-44CF-8C64-61921FBD1FA3.jpeg

Original post below:

With the great success I have recently had selling new steering wheel leather in Oak (Toyota Tan) (Link Here: New Italian Leather Steering Wheel Covers in Oak (Tan)), I have decided to start offering the same high quality leather in Grey. I worked with the same supplier as last time, and found, what I believe to be a very very close match to the shade of grey that Mr. Toyota used. It is a charcoal grey, with just a tinge of navy blue.

I have ordered several hides, and expect to have the first batch ready in 2-3 weeks.
These kits are competitively priced, around $135, which will include enough grey nylon thread for the project, and a curved sewing needle. If you are feeling adventurous, as I was, you can certainly try doing it yourself. On the other hand, you could take a kit to your local upholstery shop, and pay them to install it for you, which will save you big $$$ if you are supplying everything necessary.

The leather is a very soft and supple, full grain, aniline leather, measuring 1-1.2mm in thickness. It is dyed in Italy. The covers themselves, are made here, right in Mississippi.

If you would like one, simply IM me here on MUD, or post in this thread. By no means are you obligated to buy one now; you will only buy one once I have it in hand, and contact you. This is more along the lines of keeping a head count of who is interested, and the order in which interest was expressed, etc.

For reference, I also have a few pics of the Oak covers available below:

2f04713b-0fb3-44d8-859b-ef8604f4b5a3-jpeg.1763499

steering-wheel-installed-jpg.1787959

Last edited:
Dropped the new grey leather off at the seamstress today. Should have them ready in 2 weeks.

Will this kit work on the non airbag 91/94 steering wheels too, or is it only for the 95/97 airbag steering wheels?

Will this kit work on the non airbag 91/94 steering wheels too, or is it only for the 95/97 airbag steering wheels?

This is for the later model 4 spoke wheels.

First prototype is done. Will hopefully check fitment this week, or early next week.

I am REALLY happy with this shade of grey too.
358D1300-DA60-44AF-9074-91C1000BCD0F.jpeg

No love for the earlier '91-'94's? We need them too. I'll take one in black.

They are coming. One style/prototype at a time. :)

I'm down for one. Also, did you remove the existing leather when you install this?

I'm down for one. Also, did you remove the existing leather when you install this?

I’ll PM you.

Yes, this is a replacement for the existing leather; you’ll have to remove the old cover first.

Wonder how hard the shifter cover would be

I don’t think it would be too bad. I’ve got the leather on hand, and am in the process of getting the template made.

Great! It just makes sense to do the shifter at the same time.

I’m researching seat options too and wondering if I should replace the carpet. The snowball has no end in sight except my wallet and that isn’t so far away.

So I just received mine in the mail and noticed it is not perforated like the first picture where the thread goes. Is this a mistake or no, and if not what tool did you use to make those holes uniform?

Thanks,
Chris

So I just received mine in the mail and noticed it is not perforated like the first picture where the thread goes. Is this a mistake or no, and if not what tool did you use to make those holes uniform?

Thanks,
Chris

Correct. Sorry for the confusion.

Some people requested the dimples. Some (most) want them without. Especially those who are getting them installed by a professional.

To do the dimples yourself, I used this here: https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leathe...ther+wheel&dpPl=1&dpID=41dgDSxWqHL&ref=plSrch

Keep in mind, this tool is totally not needed to do this job correctly. Most would suggest using a straight edge, and make a mark with a ball point pen to achieve correct spacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom