New Italian Leather Steering Wheel Covers in Oak (Tan) and Grey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got it done over the weekend. Not a fun job at all, but the results make it worth it. Thank you MScruiser!

20190804_163259.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man! Looks great!

Last edited:
I may have missed it in this thread but have you made one for the early 80 series steering wheels without air bags?

I have not; sorry.

I ordered and received my cover several months ago, all good. I've attempted putting on the new leather and must admit, it's not for me. The thread can't hold up to a tight pull, which is a PITA to find out when you've done about 15%. I perforated holes on both sides before trying the 2nd time, same result. A bit of an expensive lesson I suppose. Product is good quality, but you need to find someone capable of installing it unless you're really patient and good at sewing steering wheel leather. I went to 3 installers, none of them would touch it for various reasons. I ended up buying a steering wheel that had been redone. I just don't have the patience and experience. YMMV

MSCruiser, I bought one from you a few months ago and need some advice. I have tried to fit it and it simply doesn't "meet" at the seams. The gap is substantial. It can't stretch enough. I gave up and took it to two different upholstery shops and they both refuse to even try, saying that this leather won't fit the wheel. One said he could not, in good conscience, take my money even after I pushed him to at least "try" to do it. I don't know if my piece shrunk badly or was cut wrong, but it was stored in a cool dark place (i.e. closet) and simply won't fit ( I can get pictures if it would help). What do you recommend? The only thing I haven't tried is to soak the leather, but the upholstery guys say that the stitching will pull through the leather if it is wet.
I'm stuck. I already tore off the old leather cover and now have nothing. Have you dealt with this before?

I ordered and received my cover several months ago, all good. I've attempted putting on the new leather and must admit, it's not for me. The thread can't hold up to a tight pull, which is a PITA to find out when you've done about 15%. I perforated holes on both sides before trying the 2nd time, same result. A bit of an expensive lesson I suppose. Product is good quality, but you need to find someone capable of installing it unless you're really patient and good at sewing steering wheel leather. I went to 3 installers, none of them would touch it for various reasons. I ended up buying a steering wheel that had been redone. I just don't have the patience and experience. YMMV

You're right...it is not a cake walk. You cited my questions above, from which MSCruiser (the seller) was very helpful (through PM) with replacing the leather (it may have been cut wrong....it was very, very small). He sent me a new one and you'll see a pic of my completed steering wheel about 7 spots above on this page. It turned out great. I am very happy with it.

I had some key findings, though:
1) Get different thread. I found a specific thread for leather work (not leather thread) at a local hobby shop. It was much thicker and was waxed...so it "held" much better. Also, it was brown and looks terrific. Most importantly, it only 'pulled through' once on the whole steering wheel. Leather thread sucks. Thread for leather is the only option.
2) Get a larger curved needle. You will need a bigger "eye" for the larger thread, and the more beef there is to the needle, the easier it is to grab and pull. I also got this at the Hobby store.
3) Make damn sure you punch your holes first...and that they are lined up on both sides of the leather (so they will be properly opposing each other). Don't bother with an actual punch...I just used a very sharp "awl" type tool.
4) Be patient as Hell!
5) The leather will stretch...much more than you think, but you must make sure you get it lined up really well before you ever start stitching.
6) I spaced my holes 1/4". That was about right...but 3/16's could work also. The tighter the spacing, the longer the whole job will take and the more thread you will need. It ain't worth the extra time & effort.
7) The hardest part was "holding" the wheel while you tried to use both hands to do the work. I figured out that I could just pin it (edge to edge) between my chest and my work surface. But if you have some type of clamp or other holding device, it might help. My next option was going to be to put the wheel back on the vehicle and just try to work in it....in the 97 degree temps (no damn garage).
8) Drink beer. it helps.

I am happy to offer more advice or commiseration. Just PM me or we can set up a phone call. Good luck!

You're right...it is not a cake walk. You cited my questions above, from which MSCruiser (the seller) was very helpful (through PM) with replacing the leather (it may have been cut wrong....it was very, very small). He sent me a new one and you'll see a pic of my completed steering wheel about 7 spots above on this page. It turned out great. I am very happy with it.

I had some key findings, though:
1) Get different thread. I found a specific thread for leather work (not leather thread) at a local hobby shop. It was much thicker and was waxed...so it "held" much better. Also, it was brown and looks terrific. Most importantly, it only 'pulled through' once on the whole steering wheel. Leather thread sucks. Thread for leather is the only option.
2) Get a larger curved needle. You will need a bigger "eye" for the larger thread, and the more beef there is to the needle, the easier it is to grab and pull. I also got this at the Hobby store.
3) Make damn sure you punch your holes first...and that they are lined up on both sides of the leather (so they will be properly opposing each other). Don't bother with an actual punch...I just used a very sharp "awl" type tool.
4) Be patient as Hell!
5) The leather will stretch...much more than you think, but you must make sure you get it lined up really well before you ever start stitching.
6) I spaced my holes 1/4". That was about right...but 3/16's could work also. The tighter the spacing, the longer the whole job will take and the more thread you will need. It ain't worth the extra time & effort.
7) The hardest part was "holding" the wheel while you tried to use both hands to do the work. I figured out that I could just pin it (edge to edge) between my chest and my work surface. But if you have some type of clamp or other holding device, it might help. My next option was going to be to put the wheel back on the vehicle and just try to work in it....in the 97 degree temps (no damn garage).
8) Drink beer. it helps.

I am happy to offer more advice or commiseration. Just PM me or we can set up a phone call. Good luck!

Thank you for the insight! I’ve sewed several with the thread I have supplied, but then again, I’ve got much more practice using mine. I’m sure thicker thread would be more forgiving with new users.

Do you mind posting the thread that worked well for you? I’m sure others, and myself would find it helpful. Thanks again.

And yes, it’s no cake-walk. That’s for sure; a very time consuming process. It’s easy to understand how a professional shop charges $400-$500.

Mine is still sitting in the packaging, I even got a second wheel to take it someplace and have it done but can’t find anyone that will touch it... I don’t want it to look like I did it, I want a factory look, any suggestions appreciated..

Mine is still sitting in the packaging, I even got a second wheel to take it someplace and have it done but can’t find anyone that will touch it... I don’t want it to look like I did it, I want a factory look, any suggestions appreciated..

So funny. I'm having the same issue. Brought it to a few upholstery shops and they declined.

Hey thought I would check in this thread first. I went in another direction with my steering wheel. I would be willing to sell my pristine brown/oak leather. $135 Shipped CONUS.

Hey thought I would check in this thread first. I went in another direction with my steering wheel. I would be willing to sell my pristine brown/oak leather. $135 Shipped CONUS.
Pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom