New-ish Member. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. Picked up my HZJ81V about 2 months ago, with the intent of returning to the States with it when my tour is up. I was interested in something diesel, manual and with rear barn doors. Not knowing much about the 80 series, I did as much reading as I could to get schooled on it. Eventually I’ve decided that I should prioritize the rear barn doors and a manual transmission – as well as a close to stock as possible vehicle.

While I searched, I’ve noticed / realized a few things. Here in Japan, there’s not a whole lot of space. Meaning not too many people ‘overland’ or take their vehicles off pavement. Maybe a few folks would take it to an off road park, but nothing like the States, Australia or Africa.

Low mileage vehicles aren’t all that scarce – again, not a big country.

But there are quite a few vehicles that are lifted, in some instances 6 inches. Given what I mentioned, I questioned the quality and the experience of these lifts – since they aren’t generally being used or abused, I wasn’t sure of the correctness of the lifts done. I saw it more as a problem waiting to happen on the long term.

Engine swaps aren’t common here, very rare. I mention this because ultimately I wanted a turbo diesel. I was looking at a 1HZ, so wanted to understand the feasibility of swapping to a 1HD-T or better for the long term – driving around in the States. Don’t get me wrong, the 1HZ is a fine engine, and you won’t notice the lack of power, if you want to call it that here – again, a small country with relatively slower speed limits. What I didn’t know was that its nearly impossible for you to swap and engine, with the hassles of registrations etc here. If I was to obtain a new engine say from Toyota, they will only sell me an engine that’s registered to the vehicle (in my case, 1HZ) as a replacement. Can’t get a 1HD-T or any other turbo option.

As a result, there’s not a whole lot of knowledge or experience in swapping or modifying engines here. I think there’s more good information coming out of Australia and South Africa.

While you can find relatively inexpensive vehicles on internet auctions, and most folks here are meticulous with their maintenance, considering I was looking at a 20+ year old vehicle, I decided against getting something via auction. I haven’t been here that long, and I didn’t want to have to deal with the hassles of a private sale and trying to find a reputable shop to handle the repairs and making it road worthy, if for some reason it wasn’t.

A colleague of mine suggested that I look at a 4x4 dealership, FLEX. I think they are also known online for some of their cosmetic ‘upgrades’, such as round headlight grilles for the 80 series and some interior upholstery customizations. Almost immediately, I found a suitable candidate – which is what I ended up with. I was basically looking for a vehicle to travel with – this wouldn’t be a daily driver once I returned to the States, and it came with the accessories that I would have added later on – and the price, for what’s available here, was reasonable. Once I’ve committed to it, there was a bit of a shock – with my situation here, I am tax exempt (which is 10%) and other fees, to include inspection. However, to be able to register it and get it plated, I still need to comply with the local emission standards – which added about 50% of the vehicle cost. Ouch. I guess you have to pay to play – but, I would have no other fees while I’m here, and for me, get the vehicle that I wanted, I begrudgingly paid.

That being said, prior to delivery, they did preform some maintenance on the vehicle, to include replacing the front axle seals etc, fluids and new batteries and belts. I have a list of things they’ve replaced somewhere, and it was a fairly long list. It took a bit of the sting out of the extra I had to pay for the emissions stuff.

Now, I have to give credit to someone who’s helped me considerably – I wished I’d met him sooner, he’s been a great resource for me. That’s Dave from Japan4x4. I’ve seen him referenced here on the site, and I’ve reached out to him right around the time I took delivery of my vehicle. He’s been very patient with me, and answered all of my questions, no matter how sophomoric I sounded. Most recently, I needed to replace my rear barn door door check, and despite this being a discontinued part, he was able to get me a part number that I was able to order from Toyota and worked perfectly. Just this past week, I had a chance to visit his shop, and ended up spending 3 hours of his time, getting schooled on many things Land Cruiser. He was even gracious enough to let me experience a 1HD-FTE engine.

Dave, if you’re reading this, I can’t thank you enough.

So, with that being said – I guess this is useless without a pic.

rankuru81.jpeg

Welcome to MUD !! Nice looking truck with a good motor. Lots of people swap with a turbo diesel. Bolts up fairly easily. The wiring is more difficult.

Here’s a recent thread about the engine swap.

Thanks Road Apple - i was checking out that thread the other day - I actually have Dave looking into this for me. I think i may run into issues when i bring it back with a different than what's listed engine, I'm planning on shipping an engine back to install stateside.

Not wanting to deal with the electronics, I am leaning towards the 1HD-FT. I was told the long blocks are no longer available, so i'm looking into converting the FTE into a FT - which seems relatively easy.

So my thought process was to try to keep this as Toyota as much as possible, so parts replacement will be as straight forward - and keeping the swap as straight forward as possible. As noted in the other threads, it should be a literal swap and bolt right in. I guess there may be some part changes involved with the input shaft into the H150 transmission - but i'm currently focused on figuring out the engine first. And i didn't want to have to deal with the complexities of the computer in the US, I'm leaning to the FT.

Thanks for your comments!

So, one of my first of probably many low cost mods...

I've recently bought LED bulbs to replace many of the exterior lights - i figured some of these housings / assemblies are plastic, and after twenty some odd years, they may be rather brittle, and i didn't want to mess with them much, increasing the chances of breaking something. Thankfully, I can get many of the bulbs fairly cheap locally - however i did splurge and get the Odd Iron dome light replacement and under the hood lights. The dome light replacement are amazing. I haven't gotten around to the under hood lights yet.

So, the low cost part - eventually, i am planning on camping etc with this vehicle, and i prefer amber or red lights, for keeping the bugs away or keeping my night vision. Yes, i can get LED replacement bulbs with color, but decided to instead to get replacement lens covers and apply a colored film instead. The covers here locally were about $6 ea. The film was a few dollars online. I've neglected to take any photos of it, but i think they'll work well - i've currently got the ambers installed, and they soften the glare from the super bright Odd Iron assemblies - i'm pretty happy with them. We'll have to see how long the film lasts, i have a feeling that they may peel over time.

for the more recent mod - which i actually have a pic of. While in the States, i've used RAM mounts quite a bit with work, and liked it enough to buy a few mounts for my personal vehicles. Of course, i neglected to bring it here and wished i had. As most of you know, there's no real convenient place to mount a phone - especially if you're like me and got the Escape Gear dash cover, you really can't mount anything on the dash itself.

for the short term, until i found a more permanent solution, i've used a cheezy air conditioner vent mount phone holder. While it did hold the phone in a decent spot, i was afraid that it may eventually break the fins on the vent. Not wanting to drill any holes, and wasn't too keen on a window mount, i looked around until i came across the RAM Tough Track mounts. I thought 'this might work' - if i can mount this above the radio / A/C / various switches, on that little shelf, it would be perfect. And they offered a composite and aluminum option in various lengths. I got one of each of a length that i though would be an appropriate size for that application. I also didn't want to drill into the dash, so i started to look at other attachment options. I eventually came across 3M VHB tape, 4943F which to my understanding is something like marine grade permanent double sided tape. I got the half inch width, and since the Tough Track is about an inch wide, put two strips across - and got this:

IMG_0521.jpg

it went on pretty easily, and instantly seem to be a very strong bond to the dash. With the phone in the mount, it'll wobble, but appears to be very rigid and feels quite 'permanent'. We'll see how this fares with the heat / cold cycles, but i think it'll work out well. I also plan on mounting a 8 inch tablet, we'll see how it does. The Mickey Mouse air freshener is for HH6, don't judge.

I just went through the process of figuring out where to mount phone, HAM radio face plate, and a mini iPad for navigation. The RAM mounts work great for me too. I mounted them on the Wits’ End Useless Cubby Insert. Also bought the Useless Ashtray Switch Pro mount. Not installed yet though.

This is the thread where I found good solutions for my cockpit layout.

Road Apple, thanks for your replies - i was looking at the Wits' End Cubby Insert and the switch mount. I already have the Quarter Panel Mount on order. What's not obvious is that its a manual - anything below that level on the dash can / could interfere with the shifter, so i wanted it around that height.

I was also think of possibly mounting a bracket where the A-pillar grab handle screws in, and putting a bar across - low enough so that it won't interfere with the view, and mount things on the bar. But then, i can't imagine i'll need much more than the phone and a tablet for now... I'm saving most of the major modifications for when she gets back to the states - like tires, suspension, rear bumper, aux fuel tank, the electrical and very likely a drawer system.

Here’s an option if you’re willing to wait for production to fire up. Our QPM are supposed to ship out Monday, so maybe Joey will start on these soonish.

brettk - I saw that, definitely interesting, but for me its a little bit of a solution in search of a problem. Looks like -Spike- in that thread did what i was thinking of - but again, i don't anticipate needing that much stuff. Definitely one of those 'why didn't i think of that' products!

I think the 1HZ is fine for Japan. I lived there for a few years and drivers there are lot more respectful and speed limits are far lower when compared to the U.S. I would consider an engine swap if you plan on moving to a different country (U.S., AU, etc.) where drivers tend to be more aggressive, and 120 kph speeds are the norm.

Tachycardic - that's the plan. Shooting for a 1HD-FT; but no long blocks available. Looking into converting a FTE into FT. The plan is to take her back to the states, and doing the swap stateside.

Just went for a short drive - the taped RAM mount is very solid. We'll see when i add an tablet.

Congrats! How's driving with RHD and using left hand to shift? Do you keep hitting the wipers when you want to turn? :D

RND1 - I've gotten used to the controls - but sometimes i do try to go to 5th, when i'm wanting to go 1st. But for the most part, the controls are good. I do have to be cognizant about staying towards the right though, i do tend to wander left - and the roads are definitely narrow.

I'll be all jacked up again when (more like if) i return to the States - that's when all the turn signal / wiper nonsense start again. Or, trying to turn down the wrong side of the road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom