New IPOR Fj40 Gauge cluster alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We're pretty pleased to find a gauge cluster unit that features 21st Century technology and a limited lifetime warranty at a reasonable price point. Our experience, like many 40-series Land Cruiser owners, is the absence of OEM cluster availability with the only alternative being a used unit, labor time rebuilding it, and hoping for reliable function. In many cases this costs more than this new instrument cluster. For example, rarely can you buy all the instruments from other vendors for $400, much less the bezel to mount it in. Sure, we’d all love less expensive stuff, but this is not overpriced at all, and as correctly identified in the above post it's engineered and manufactured by Dakota Digital in the US.

We appreciate that this unit might not be for everybody and there are Cruiser-owners that only want to go OEM. Here's a nice looking unit available on eBay for $175.00, used, with no guarantee... http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-CRUISER-FJ40-GAGE-CLUSTER-/251309232642?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

We'll look into a instrument cluster with the manufacturer that reads kph/km, although the digital message center can cycle between mph/kph; and we'll check into its application with diesel engines. This will work with other power-plants such as a V-8; we already use this manufacturers components for the engine swaps that we perform at IPOR.

Also shown in the digital message center:
Odometer
Trip Odometer (A&B)
Resettable Service Odometer
Clock
Hour-meter
0-60 MPH (0-100 KPH) timer
¼ mile timer
¼ mile speed display
High Speed recall
High RPM recall

As I said, we're really excited about this new product. As one of our staff observed, this is a transformational product for the regular Cruiser-head: good looking, increased functionality, 21st Century technology, accurate information, and a limited lifetime warranty.

Call us: we're a Dakota Digital dealer.

Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Wow, that's fantastic. Looking forward to its release.

I don't see the turn indicators but maybe they are hidden in the background.
This cluster seems to be for all the years. But the senders are not the same for all the years.
Does it work with the " old" senders or does this cluster come with new senders?
How about the speedo cable connection? Early clusters are screw-on and the later clusters are clip-on. How is this going to work on this new cluster?
Does it come with a pick-up sensor for the tacho?

Very curious about this,

Rudi

Last edited:
I want one!

very nice, but the volt gauge is pretty much useless

very nice, but the volt gauge is pretty much useless

Beg to differ; the stock ammeter is pretty useless. I replaced mine with a volt meter and find it much more useful.

How about the speedo cable connection? Early clusters are screw-on and the later clusters are clip-on.

Curious as well... can I use a toyota hall effect sensor? Is it like others, where you zero it out, then drive a mile?

If it will work with a hall effect, I'd like to order one. Please let me know when I am able to pick one up. Thanks!

Nevermind, just read through the install manual and it will work. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get one on the way. Thanks!

Nevermind, just read through the install manual and it will work. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get one on the way. Thanks!

Where did you find the install manual? Do you have a link?

Rudi

jetranger said:

Can you do an install thread please?

Was wondering why they don't make the speedo GPS so you don't have to worry about speedo connections between years and engine swaps? GPS speedos have their problems but that would make for fewer variations to produce.

Can you do an install thread please?

Sure will. Won't have it for about 3 weeks!

Was wondering why they don't make the speedo GPS so you don't have to worry about speedo connections between years and engine swaps? GPS speedos have their problems but that would make for fewer variations to produce.

They have a GPS speed sensor module if your setup is difficult to configure.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=646/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd837.htm

^^ This, as well. I wish the speedo at least only went to 100, like stock, and a 5k tack would be nice as well...I didn't realize people thought these things were Sports cars! Even with my 283, the truck sounds like it is going to self destruct above 4000 RPM...

i had a v8 in my 40 and i needed a speedo that went higher than 100 and 5k...a lot of other folks do too ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom