New Input on Seats- Good Afternmarket or go back original? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've check the FAQ, but I really wanted some input for you folks that have had both or have a strong opinion either way. My new '78 FJ has a bench seat installed out of a minivan. This FJ is not intented to be a show truck as the color is non-factory, SOA lift, etc. The purchase also included the rear bench seat for two out of the same minivan. They are tan cloth seats that match and I just don't think I will like them.

I want black vinyl and really thought I was going all back factory in front and the rear. I thought it would get the dollars back spent if ever I re-sold for another FJ. However, I see the new Cool Cruisers seats availible and they look great. Given that my truck is not true show, I am thinking that the best seat is what I should put in and that will help sale, not factory. Then I thought of doing the factory jumps in the rear and the aftermarket up front.

Anyone else faced with this decision and how have you liked what you have done? It seems the cost will end up being the same.
Seat.jpg
Seatold.jpg

For a fold forward style, I don't think you can beat the Toyota FJ40 bucket seat frame for strength. I had mine recovered and extra bolstered after evaluating a lot of different options.

In back I have an early Bronco rear. Not recommended for adults. It was great for the car seat through about 12 years old with my son.

Nobody else likes it back there now

you can get a good set of leather seats from a yard for about 100 each tops.

Ergonomics are important if you are going to be driving the cruiser for long periods of time on bumpy trails. That was the reason I replaced the stock seats with 2002 4Runner SR5 Leather seats, which I have re-covered the bottoms with heavy duty marine vinyl. In my opinion, the stock seats are very strong and durable, but not so good on the back after log bumpy trail rides -even with good foam. The stock seats are also not very adjustable.

My rear bench is an extra foam model out of a 1988 Samurai, covered in the same heavy duty marine vinyl, that can be removed when needed.

I plan on putting a set out of an FJ Cruiser in mine, the dimensions and the appearance is very close to the original FJ40s seats. The material is water resistant and easy to clean.

The FJC seats have a lot better adjustment capabilities as well.

I just need to make some lower adapters and it should bolt up nice and easy.

If I was going to choose out of the seats shown above, I would pick the rugged ridge seats...they are pretty sweet.

Doc

IPOR has some nice seats on their website at a pretty good price. I'll probably go with them when I get to the point of worrying about my interior.

IPOR has some nice seats on their website at a pretty good price. I'll probably go with them when I get to the point of worrying about my interior.

I'm almost positive that IPOR sells the Rugged Ridge seats on their site.

Here it is...

1e5764a8.jpg

i like that bench seat what van is it out of ?
any more pics of the mounting points.

The previous owner said they were out of a 2000-2003 Toyota Mini Van. It looks like both original brackets are there and it just bolted up. See pics as requested.
Lower Driver.jpg
Lower Passenger.jpg

Hit the u-pull its. I picked up leather power seats at the one near me... $5 per seat, pulled heated seat units out of another one $2 for the pair.... now to install them in the seats...

im going to look into corbeau moab .
i think for like 250.00 or so

Well - I've been both routes here and back again, I replaced my stock seats with a set out of a '94 Celica about 8 years ago. They were great when I got them, a major upgrade over my worn out stockers :) After a while I started to realize buckets with high bolsters aren't very good in a lifted 40, getting in and out can be a real pain. The firm sports car seats, even with all their height and lower back adjustment also tend to wear you out bouncing around in a 40. So I was riding around with another friend of mine in his newly re-covered and re-foamed stock seats, and decided I was going back. Picked up a set of stock seats and some covers from Shane, so the 40 is stock once more. They don't hold you in as well, but sure are comfortable and easy to get in and out of ;)

My $.02 -

Tucker

I've had a few different seats... Have gone back to stock because of there strength, and folding forward.

Consider BMW Vinyl Seats?

I installed BMW coupe seats; they tilt forward for easy access behind the seats. Also, they don't have the hight bolsters which makes it difficult to get in/out (as Tucker already mentioned). Very comfortable seats, but some day I will lower them about an inch.

I just removed electric, leather, Recaro style seats from an Audi Quattro. Very comfortable seats, and really looked good, but leather is a problem for me to take care of (lots of dusty trails).

Check the BMW seats out at this link:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/255593-what-have-you-done-your-land-cruiser-week-127.html

Im 6'4" and tried to mount the black buckets that you all are showing and my head hits the roll bar, not to safe for me.

6'4" plus here. And yes the 40 cabin can be a bit cramped ;p

Im 6'4" and tried to mount the black buckets that you all are showing and my head hits the roll bar, not to safe for me.

Bug Gut said:
Yikes. I'm 6'4. I certainly did not think that would come into play! You may have saved me a lot of time and dollars.

The other black ones posted seem to not have as high a bolster

Picked up a set of stock seats and some covers from Shane, so the 40 is stock once more. They don't hold you in as well, but sure are comfortable and easy to get in and out of ;)
Tucker

Thanks- good thought. Who is Shane? I would like to see about getting the same and what it would set me back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom