New Input on Seats- Good Afternmarket or go back original? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks- good thought. Who is Shane? I would like to see about getting the same and what it would set me back.

Shane is AATLAS1X here on Mud, he sells high quality seat covers made to be exactly like OEM. I also have several friends who went with the SOR covers which are nice as well. You're looking for a set of used '74-'78 seats if you go this route.

Keep in mind one thing if you go aftermarket, you have to find the thinest seat bottoms you can from the mount so the top of the seat bottom. I picked up some uber cool stock Toyota Bandarante seats that I couldn't use at one point, you didn't have enough room to squeeze under the steering wheel :frown: Celica, MR2, and Prelude seats work well if you head to the pick and pull -

Tucker

I wheel my truck a lot and like the extra hold from side boosters on my aftermarket seat - I will never go back to the stock seat as long as I wheel :steer:

Hyundai Tiburon seats work well too. Most 2-door small sporty cars have decent seats that have lateral support, fold forward for rear access, and are "thin" from the mount to the top of the seat bottom. Be sure to take some measurements of your existing seats and consider your goals before heading to the U-Pull-It. Cloth and leather versions:
Black Cloth_4.jpg
Tiburon GT Seats 12.jpg

As cool as it would be to put buckets in my FJ45... i think ill keep my bench seat... BUT i do like these black buckets... something sexy i will keep in mind.

Im 6'4" and tried to mount the black buckets that you all are showing and my head hits the roll bar, not to safe for me.

Also 6'4"... Head clears the roll cage fine with stock seats in my 74.:cheers:

BTW, black is not a good color in any area with a lot of sunshine - particularly not on vinyl :doh:

I made a $200 mistake this winter by getting what I thought where really nice seats for my 40. Wrong. Thick as heck bottom and back. They where out of an '09 heep wrangler or whatever they call them now. For a vertically challenged driver they would probably be awesome, for me at 6'2" they suck. Pull up to a stoplight and I have to lean all the way forward to be able to see the light, either that or stop a block back. My eyeballs are inline with the bottom of the visor as I drive.

The previous owner of my FJ40 had reclining FJ60 seats installed on custom fabricated seat mounts. I'm of the 6'4" variety too and there's plenty of head room. Leg room is ok but a bit snug along the femurs and the large diameter original steering wheel.
fj40_60seats.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom