1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new house is driving me crazy.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by usmcruiser, Aug 4, 2005.

1. usmcruiser

usmcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Arg. The wife and I just bought our first house. :D we were so excited and we knew that it needed some "love" but damn I didn't think it would need this much. And it's not even big things. It is just a TON little things.
    -Place didn't have a mail box, so I had to put one of those in.
    -There was no basic cable only antena, so I had to help the comcast guy run cable in to the house. Fattie McGee couldn't get into the attic to pull cable. :rolleyes:
    -I had to put in towl racks in both bathrooms
    -Had to rewire the switch in master bath due to shotty work
    -I still need to "rewire" master light, again shotty work
    -Re-plumb the dryer vent
    -Drop new cable outlets in master bedroom and living room because where they were made no sense what so ever.
    -Bigger projects yet to do are
    --entire back yard is bare (or rather covered in weeds waist high)
    --drop sprinkler system
    --remodel master bath
    --remodel kitchen
    --redo front yard

I hate to go on and on (too late :rolleyes: ) but damn, I cant do anything to my 40 untill this list is done :crybaby: so it is going to be a while.

but hell I am still stoked to own a house (or at least "rent" it from the bank ;p ) rather then rent a s***ty apt from some ass monkey.

2. 2badfjs

2badfjs

i hear ya brother!
    honey do list are worth having the house
    but all the cruizer projects get put on hold :mad:

congrats on being a HOM-O (home owner) ;) :cheers:

3. mabrodis

mabrodis

What the hell is your avatar? Some devil you found in the attic or something? Sheesh!

So the house apparently is not 'new', but 'new to you'? Houses are great, but can be alot of work, not even fun things like mowing grass, trimming bushes, but stuff like you're finding, where it's not just routine work, it's crap that some idiot didn't do right the first time, so you have to fix it now.

I just put in 3 ceiling fans in our house, 2 in spots that it was all pre-wired from the builder, seperate switches for light/fan, etc...those went great (once I figured out the instructions were written by Helen Keller's chinese sister), however one fan was in our guest room, man did that suck, the whole process has sucked from the get-go with that, I get it all wired, while cooking myself (see attic temp thread), and a wire is shorted out..MOTHER...so yeah, that can suck no doubt.

Our house was new-new in '02, and it's a good thing, because I haven't had near the time or money to do any repairs that I should have. Only things that really need to be done is some caulking in the bathrooms...oh our house has no cable to it either, and we are getting cable internet in a week, so Fattie McGee is gonna have to trench a new cable to the house, most likely cutting everything in it's path...but eh, it's only gas, electricity, water and sewer, what could possibly go wrong.. :D Luckily the coax is all done inside the house from the builder, so fatty (me) doesn't have to get up in the attic for that atleast...

4. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Just make sure they don't string the outside cable from the pole to the most visible place of the house, they seem to like the middle over the garage door for some reason - UGLY, UGLY. Looks like the house is on life support. Make them string it to the side or the house, then you can go into the attic on the side. Doesn't cost anything just have to be persistent or annoy the guy a bit longer.

5. usmcruiser

usmcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    That was me this afternoon, once I did an ass load of work and my 2 year old decided to throw a tempertantrum all day untill his nap at 1300.

I was a little miffed. The wife and I both had to have a glass of Red Knot shraz to relax a little. sheesh.

6. chet

chet

welcome to the no free time club! First year of owning our house I put in laminate flooring, painted whole house, had a enw roof put on (I stripped it alone in 1 day) Built a new deck and moved our fish pond. Needless to say the last while has been shop time(we have been in just over 2 years now)

7. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

8. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet congrats Nick! Beer and pizza and a couple of us will knock out that list in a day :)

9. swank60

swank60

huh huh huh hu...you said "pull cable..."

That sucks big floppy donkey dick, dude...but once you get all that crap knocked out - if you haven't gone batshit insane - you'll be able to kick back in your back yard and relax...and think about how it needs to be mowed...or that you need a deck, or a bigger deck, or that an above-ground pool isn't such a WT thing, and by-God, you'll be putting one in next summer...etc. :D

10. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    It's worth it though man. Good friend of mine just sold his house [2nd day on the market here] They literally didn't do s*** to it. I put a new roof on it after Ivan for them, and they re=sodded the back and made $85K on it.

That's sick.

My townhouse needs some little piddly s*** work done to it, but hell, it's a rental.

The house D and I live in needs new flooring. We're going to dress up the concrete....and go from there. I've seen some AWESOME stuff done to plain jane concrete.

Hey, it could be worse. You could be renting.

11. David Clayton

David Clayton

Pain

I feel yor pain Just finished a total kitchen remodel I did it all my self except for the cabnets I knew I would ass that up. I had to sell my 600hp (its amazing what drag racing friend will talk you into) 68 chevy truck that I spent 6 years and a huge pile of money on to finance the job. But the wife loves the new kitchen, and she let me buy a cruiser as a conselation prize, now I will spend a pile on it.

12. usmcruiser

usmcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Well it is good to know that is is some what 'normal'. But hey I am stoked that the realator that sold us the house gave us a one year warrenty. Because the wife just called and said that the dish washer just bit the dust, the garbage disposal is on the fritz and the main sewer pipe is leeking. All this will be replace or fixed for a $50 dollar 'copay' just because when we had the inspection the guy recomended a new water heater and the agent didn't want to replace it. So he offered the warrenty instead. :D Works for me.

Oh just a few items that she reminded me that need "work" as she so eliquently put it.
    -new driveway
    -new deck
    -AC insalled (but Home Depot will do that) ;)
    -and repaint the trim outside the house.

Whoo hoo the list never ends.

13. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    its called building sweat equity :)

but hell around here right now.......all ya gotta do is buy ANYTHING, sit on it for 6 months and make a nice pile of cash :D

14. usmcruiser

usmcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    I am hopeing that by doing all these little things it will give me intant equity. The house appraised for 190. We paid 180 so in theory we gained 10k in equity just by buying the house. On the other hand some of these things are more creature comforts and wont affect the houses value. I.E. I had to reverse the switches in the bathroom because some monkey had put the fan swith closer to the door rather then the light. So at 0400 when I go to start getting ready for work I would hit the fan switch istead of the light. :doh:

15. Jman

Jman

usmcruiser, get used to it! It never ends! But, ya know, no pain, no gain. My wife and I bought our house 8 years ago--it was 135 years old, and we had to gut it down to the bricks and subfloors and totally renovate. There is STILL some of the old stuff that needs to be done, and we're starting on round two--honey thinks we should remodel the kitchen after 8 years.

Still, I love it, and homeownership is awesome.

Good luck, crack open a beer at the end of the day and marvel at your domain. . . .

16. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

Media:
    Albums:
    Ain't that the truth! I left Seattle in late 2002 cause it was too expensive to live without a tech job, and just recently looked into to moving back. YEAH RIGHT! The prices have doubled in the last 3 years and they were already too high then.

17. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeownership Nick! Now go out and rent The Moneypit and get used to it. At least it sounds like you are more than capable to put most of the sweat equity into the house yourself. That, believe it or not, will save you lots of $$$ in the long run. Congrats!

18. wsdavies

wsdavies

That or list it and get your 6%..No money down :p

19. mabrodis

mabrodis

Not quite that way around here...been here 3 years and could probably just barely sell our house for what we bought it for, market isn't really down, but new homes not far away seem to be keeping prices down...infact this year the county assessment value or whatever it is that your property taxes are based on actually went DOWN, I didn't think those ever went down, but the county even admitted it's not worth what it was last year...argh...but oh well, don't plan on selling anyway.

20. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the first house thang...you'll now notice all your receipts will be from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. instead of Joe Bobs CD Shack, Cruiserparts.com, SleeOffroad...you get the idea :D Oh yea...be careful with "lists"...you never really get to the end of the "list" before it gets longer again...sorta like a Cruiser project with more zeros in front of the decimal point:)