New Hj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up an early 82 i think Hj60 turbo the other day for my house mates and they know nothing about mechanics of vehicles. So before they jet off on their trip around oz, I feel obliged to make sure it all works, seeing as i picked it out for them.

It has an oil cooler in front of the radiator which seems to be leaking from somewhere, and has a slight leak from the brake master cylinder. Is there anything that I should be checking with regards to the turbo? And it also seems to have a funny oil pressure, The guage goes up to about 3/8ths and doesn't vary much from that position. I would have thought it would go fairly high on startup and dropped lower than 3/8ths at hot idle like mine did.

Its got barn doors too :cheers:

sam

check cooling system, get the head pressure tested... a blown head gasket is a pain in the ..... well head

You can test the oil pressure with a gauge that parts shops hire($10 a day in Perth).
You just plug it into where the oil pressure sensor goes.An oil/filter change often makes a big difference as well.
The sensor on my 3F is off a corolla and looks the same as the one on my 1HZ,but check 1st.
Toyota want $135 for the sensor but you can get them for $30 if you look around.
3/8ths is not a disaster any way,they can hang on forever if theyre treated right.

I got a new brake master cyl for $55 I think,non original.

i think you gotta check the turbo gets oil too or something...

Is the brake master leaking at the flange where it mounts to the booster?
If so, your booster will fail. Maybe not today, maybe not in 2000 km, but it
will fail. The brake fluid pools at the bottom of the booster diaphragm and
slowly eats away at the diaphragm over time. A spare should be fairly cheap. Might want to carry one.
I agree on pressure checking the cooling system. Buy a new cap. Period.
It's cheap insurance. I use the lever vent type, but standard type should
be fine.
If you just got this rig, and don't have maintenance records for it, change
all the fluids and filters. If the old filters look serviceable, keep them
wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil as spares.
And you might think about getting a hose that can replace the turbo, in
case it goes bad in the hinterlands. And plugs for the oil feed and return
lines.
Sure do wish I was going on this trip with them. (Sure wish my 60 was in good enough shape to go on this type of trip. :doh:)

thanks for the suggestions, I would have never thought about some of that. I was going to get them to get a new master cyl, and change the oil and filters, the air filter certainly hasn't been touched in a while. I think the oil leak from the front is actually the power steering pump or something around there, and the fan is picking it up and flicking it round the engine.

I'll also hunt down a pressure guage, I am expecting a few probs with it caus it was only 4200dollars. I'll have to watch the head gasket thing too, i was talking to the guy who manufactured the head for my car, and he said the heads for these blow gaskets but generally dont crack because they dont have pre-combustion chambers to weaken them.

thanks
sam

every one i talked to about my head said that almost all toyota diesels love to blow head gaskets.

Think of it as the sacrificial alloy.
Better to blow the head gasket than to lose the head. :)

I didn't blow the gasket on mine, i cracked the head, and i think it was from running with the fuel governor diaphram ripped to shreds for too long. But its nearly back together with bells on now, just have to get 2 oil cooler pipes and a t-housing gasket. Then i suppose i'll find out the cylinder sleeves and block are s***ted.

So, I want pics of the barn doors. :)
I'm torn a bit between keeping the lift/tailgate and barn doors on mine. I'm
leaning toward keeping it as is, but I like barn doors on other Cruisers, too.

will post some up tomorrow.

this hasn't been offroad yet, but we are going west this easter.
1 turbo diesel '82 hj

and the back

hidden treasures
my soon to be.... '81 hj47

Ooh! Thanks for the pics.
Think I like the lift/tailgate better on the 60. But now I actually know for sure.
And that's less money I have to spend on her. :)
Can't wait to see pics of the 47 buildup. HJ-47 Troopy is by far my favorite
Cruiser of all time. And I will get one from you Aussies one of these days. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom