New HJ45 Owner, looking for feedback on H motor service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I just took delivery of my 1978 HJ45 last night. I figured out the Glow Plug activation process and then the dash kill knob. When I started it, about 60deg F out, it required a bit of cranking and some starter fluid to fire. Once it did, it seemed congested and took a bit to get it to rev smooth and idle. It smoked like a freight train during this period as well.

What are some things I should clean, adjust, check, replace to ensure it starts and runs reliably? I gave the battery a good charge all night. It looks like someone put an undersized battery in it (not the one shown in the pic). The tray looks huge. It is a 12v battery. How do you tell if this is a 12v or 24v truck? It came from Colombia.

Any other tips or things to check I would much appreciate.

Mark

s-l160010.jpg

Stay away from starter fluid on diesels. You're washing the lubrication from the cylinder walls every time you use it.

My advice on the "H" is to start with the basics and replace all the wear components, filters, give it a tune, etc. It's likely that the fuel in the tank if crap also. It's from Columbia, you know nothing about it and its maintenance history. Don't forget to have fun and enjoy.

You may have figured out the Glow procedure.. but I'd be verifying the glow plugs are actually glowing as a first step.. voltage drop during the glow process is a good sign but otherwise it would never hurt to remove the glows for inspection - and honestly if you have them out you may as well replace them.

if your smoke was white,it is likely that 1 or more of your glow plugs is burned out. If your entire glow system was not working, i don't think you would be able to start it at 60F. And if you did manage to start it, it would be VERY unhappy until it warmed up, not just "congested"

After inspecting the glow plugs and bus bar, I am baffled how it started at all. The wire feeding the bus bar was just laying on it with no physical connection and the glow plugs crumbled when I tried to remove each top nut. I have new ones coming from Aus this week.

Is it possible it fired purely because of the starting fluid? It was VERY unhappy until it warmed up.

After inspecting the glow plugs and bus bar, I am baffled how it started at all. The wire feeding the bus bar was just laying on it with no physical connection and the glow plugs crumbled when I tried to remove each top nut. I have new ones coming from Aus this week.

Is it possible it fired purely because of the starting fluid? It was VERY unhappy until it warmed up.

Yes. It will start with starting fluid and no glow plugs. Remember a diesel is air, combustion and fuel and that is it. The compression is so high it causes the fuel to explode or ignite. Starting fluid explodes/ignites easier than diesel.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom