New High Performance exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well, the FZJ has been the driveway for about 4 days, and despite the below zero temperatures, I did manage to briefly crawl underneath there and begin to take measurements for a new exhaust system. The plans will probably finish off what Toyota began with on the 93/94 vehicles... and that is a nice dual system. Starting off will be some nice 2" or maybe 2 1/8" downpipes which will lead to the dual converters - I may possibly replace these with something a tad larger. From the converters the system will drop into dual 1 7/8"" pipes and a nice dual in/dual out straight through core muffler. The exit pipes from the muffler will probably keep the 1 7/8" diameter through to tail pipes. Obviously, any sections that can be placed in a more appropriate rock friendly area, will be. The diameter are the same as stock, or slightly larger, much of the size dictated by what I have available. The stock system appears to be dual 2" from the manifolds to the converters, then a single 2 3/8" out to the rear resonator. My system will have slighly more internal flow area... plus the dual system should keep velocity up. The real gains will be had by the straight through muffler.

Materials - 304 grade stainless or above is the only way to go. I've built a few systems from it over recent years... it can be very fun to work with. Unfortunately, SS can be very expensive. Luckily for me, I have all the required material stored in the garage. Much of it was picked up at the local scrap yard. Also, a few years back, a nearly new exhaust sytem was spied on a late 70's Mercedes 450SL V8 car that was sitting in the local auto salvage yard....A complete front to back dual stainless system w/ 2 mufflers! Further examination showed it to be an $800+ Timevalve aftermarket system, it came home with me for $30, and in the garage it has sat... just waiting to be cut up for a project such as this! The pipe is 2" and 1 7/8" with plenty of nice bends. The main muffler measures 25" L x 7" diameter and has dual 2" in and out with straight though perforated core (like Borla). The stock FZJ80 muffler measures roughly 24"L x 8" diameter. Ooooooh what a nice fit that will be... tucked 1" higher in the frame.

That's it for part 1.... Warmer weather will need to arrive before the work begins. I will update with plenty of pictures if you folks would like to see them!

Part of the Timevalve system..
f9d416b7.jpg

Part of my stainless steel stash.. :D
f9d41681.jpg

Previous work....
fbb268d7.jpg

I have been seriously contemplating a similar set-up for a while, however I was trying to keep the dual pipes from the manifold inside the frame rails and not run outside like it does OEM. I noticed that there looks like there is just enough room to run dual pipes stcked on top of each other insted of side by side to the right of the transfer case. I thought this would make slider instalation easier, not having the exhaust out side the frame. Just a thought.

It looks very interesting :cheers:

Mike

i re-did my exhaust when i did my sliders and could not find a way to do it with out crossing back over the fram rail. now that i am going long arms i cant figure out what to do with the F-ing exhaust keep us up to date.

[quote author=NW-sickboy link=board=2;threadid=10614;start=msg95482#msg95482 date=1075098733]
i re-did my exhaust when i did my sliders and could not find a way to do it with out crossing back over the fram rail. now that i am going long arms i cant figure out what to do with the F-ing exhaust keep us up to date.
[/quote]

I am really hoping there is some way to have sliders AND an exhaust system that does not cross under the frame and I am also looking to make this adjustment to my exhaust sometime soon. I am not sure how much space there is between the supports for the slee sliders but I figured that if my muffler is too long to fit between them, I will have to find a shorter hi-flow muffler and snuggle it between the middle and last support of the slider. I have not actually seen how this will work but in my mind it seems possible, but then again, anything seems possible! Anyway, from what I have heard and also from what I can reckon out, the single cat is not the problem, it is the length and size of the muffler. I have no idea how the double cat from some models would work and I think no matter what, to do this the resonator/s must get removed. Anyway, I am looking for any clever approach to this but I think that the exhaust system will rely on three layed over "C" shaped exhaust sections that tilt away from the supports for the sliders. Too simple? I'd love to get a ground up look at the slee sliders so I can imagine all this but no matter what, those are the sliders I am going to get so no matter what, I have to make the exhaust work with them and not the other way around. Hey I got it ... how about a set of mufflered slee sliders that connect to the cat and flow as free as a high performance exhaust system!!! :) Think about it, they would always stay warm and dry!!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom