new HFS shackles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a stock 72 fj40 with no lift and I want to replace the stock shackles with HFS shackles that are 2.5 in longer. does anyone know if there would be a problem with that or should I stay with the shackle that is the same length as stock? I plan on putting a 4in lift on it someday. thanks

2.5" longer shackles will net you 1.25" of lift. No problems other than your springs will hang down 2.5" lower at the shackle end. This is really not a problem if you are blind and like to wheel by braille. The also make good spring benders AND I have seen them used as a very good emergency brake, stopping all foward progress instantly. This of course was not the desired action but that's what happened. 2.5" does not seem like much, but as somebody who installed a set on my 40, they hang LOW in the front.
Tim

We offer heavy duty spring shackles in a stock, 1" longer, or 2" longer length. They are not quite the immovable object that XJNATION has explained, atleast not to the extent that the front hanger on a shackle reversal kit is!!

;) You are not kidding, Jim. Some of those hangers are Pretty low and definitely rigid.
darsdrz: Do you need the height? Stock length would be my recomendation, maybe 1". I am personally not a fan of my 2.5" shackles other than they are stout. I think I will use them for a SR.......someday.......maybe?

I have been using the ccot 2.5" shackles for a year on my 76...works fine for a poor man's short term lift. I am running 32 x 11.50 without problem. I am taking them off to go soa on the rear...make you a deal on a slightly used set of 4.
I have been looking for stock length shackles w/gusset for the soa....couldn't find a part number on the Downey site (hint, hint Jim...)

With a longer shackle, your caster angle will probably change, which will effect steering. You may need to install shims to fix that. I know I did. :doh:

thanks for the info. I run 31's on my fj40 and they rub everyonce and awhile so I was trying to squeeze a 1'' or so out of the shackles but I think I will stay with the stock length and install that 4'' lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom