New here, potential 62 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HMP

Threads
Good morning, just signed up a few hours ago after browsing a bit on the recommendation from a friend.

Looking at a FJ62, 88 or 89. Had a few quick questions:
-Any exterior differences in those two years?
-Towing capacity? Not looking for a lot, but will 1500lbs or so be an issue at all?
-Easy to switch from roll up windows to power?

I'll update if/when I become an owner. Been driving Toyotas for a long time, had several awesome cars from the brand, but not ventured to their truck/SUV line yet.

Yall had a rad day

I dont see how to edit, so I'll add one more question (and I'll apologize for so many, I am ready through FAQs and different threads, but this is a big forum!):
With the 62 series - any 'upgrades' for the steering wheel if one were to have one in rough condition? Are there any later models that have the same spline count that can be swapped over or should I just have the wheel rewrapped somehow?

Good morning, just signed up a few hours ago after browsing a bit on the recommendation from a friend.

Looking at a FJ62, 88 or 89. Had a few quick questions:
-Any exterior differences in those two years?
-Towing capacity? Not looking for a lot, but will 1500lbs or so be an issue at all?
-Easy to switch from roll up windows to power?

I'll update if/when I become an owner. Been driving Toyotas for a long time, had several awesome cars from the brand, but not ventured to their truck/SUV line yet.

Yall had a rad day
No exterior differences
It’ll tow 1500lbs. It won’t like it, but it’ll do it. Look into adding a large trans cooler, since they like to run warm.
99.97% (if not all) American 62’s have power windows.

Good luck with the Cruiser journey, it is great ride. I have owned 3 FJ62’s and still have an FJ 60.

If you are towing a trailer with a 62, it will be far more enjoyable going East as opposed to West from where you are located.

There are a very few 62’s without power windows, mirrors, and locks, I owned one that my Nephew still owns.

It also had an H55 5 speed conversion (done by ACC in ATL) and you will see a few that have had the conversion, if done correctly and you can work with a manual transmission, it is a great set up compared to the automatic which is a good transmission, but robs some of the power.

Any towing wouldnt be for very far away, maybe 45 minute drive.
What holds the 62 back on towing?

In my opinion, the automatic transmission limits the acceleration on a 62 when pulling out and on inclines, it will pull it just slowly.

Being said, that wouldn’t deter me from driving a 62 or pulling a small drift boat, utility trailer etc.

All of it.

I tow this with my 4-speed stick carb'ed truck. Its about all it can do. HTH.

IMG_6846.jpg

Thoughts on getting into a 62:

A 62 is slow and relatively underpowered to tow. The A440 slushbox saps a lot of its torque. An h55 swap and desmog makes it a LOT more drivable and a lot more fun. I never towed with any of my 60/61/62s but they won’t set the world on fire.

You can find power window supplies and door cards from people parting out trucks. It’s a pain. Unless you find the perfect ‘88 with manual windows, find one with power accessories. Some 88’s will not have rear headrests and 3 point belts.

The delaminated steering wheel is super common. You can inject 2 part epoxy with a 10-20cc syringe at a few places around the wheel and make it 95% better. I sourced a perfect used wheel from the Middle East after buying 3 used wheels that all still sucked.

Brakes are easy to comprehensively upgrade. I prefer the loaded calipers from Cruiser Outfitters and stock OEM parts. I did the 4runner caliper/80 master and it didn’t blow me away.

LED headlights for me are a game changer. You can build a harness in 1-2 hours. Mandatory safety upgrade for me.

Go get one and drive the hell out of it.

The 60 platform is my spirit animal.

The only vehicle I have ever legally owned in the world is a FJ62. They are very heavy duty vehicles, they don’t tow well but they are durable. They have decent stopping power, but a common upgrade is to go with 2gen 4 runner callipers on the front to help. Keep in mind that the 60 series is a very rough riding vehicle with vague and slow steering, tied together with a good old bog-matic it can become a dreadful vehicle to drive in a hurry. However, if you just want to cruise around, or venture off into the bush, this is the truck for you. But again, not a great business vehicle.
If you do go with buying one, make sure to not put on 33” tires mine without a trailer is already really slow. If you put on some 30” tires it will be a lot better to drive and the engine will seem more powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom