New here, old Razorback with new but old 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, just a quick intro from me. Just purchased an 94 80 from the forums here. I'm in Fayetteville and look forward to bumping into any fellow LC owners around NWA. My name is Aaron, lived in Fayetteville for a good portion of my 38 years on this planet(I grew up on Maple Street and went to the UofA)

My 80 has around 249k miles, and it's still hoppin along pretty good as far as I can tell. I'll get a chance in a few weeks to tear into it a little better. A bunch of small things need to be fixed, but doesn't seem to have any major issues(knock on wood). NO F/R lockers just center diff, has ARB front bumper and sliders, OME suspension and a few other decent parts on it. This is a second vehicle for me, and will be used to go camping/canoeing and some trail use here and there. Been wanting an 80 since I was in HS, my first real truck, I've mostly had VW's for the last decade. Currently drive a Passat that is AWD with a pretty rare 1.8t turbo engine and MT combo(the LC is my first AT since I was 17). It has pretty much anything you can do to it done without diving into the engine and I've done almost everything myself(suspension, brakes, turbo, fuel system etc). I don't plan to do much to the 80, other than make it reliable and fix what breaks.

Here's a link from the original FS ad:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj80-fzj80-lx450-hdj81/755977-94-80-alabama.html

Welcome!!

RLC is a great group...I highly recommend joining the club.
Good looking rig, look forward to wheeling with you in the future.

Is that maple st in fayettville or Springdale? I'm in Springdale...

Welcome to the RLC forum.

Welcome, sir.

Cool truck... Is the Appalachia Cruisers sticker still on the sliding window?

Is that maple st in fayettville or Springdale? I'm in Springdale...

Welcome to the RLC forum.

Fayetteville, but I work on Emma in Springdale, so you may see me trucking around that area of S'dale.

Cool truck... Is the Appalachia Cruisers sticker still on the sliding window?

Yes it is. I'm leaving most of the stickers, figured it's kinda part of the cars life history at this point. I removed one sticker, and I'm pretty sure most of the stickers came from the prior prior owner.

I have noticed a pretty significant coolant leak the last few mornings, and it doesn't seem to leak after the car is warm. It has green coolant, I'll probably just top it off until I have a chance to see what's up in the next few weeks. It seems it could be the rad itself, O rings or coming from the hose connections. Either way, none of the above seem overly difficult, although I have never been a fan of flushing and draining the cooling system.

Yes it is. I'm leaving most of the stickers, figured it's kinda part of the cars life history at this point. I removed one sticker, and I'm pretty sure most of the stickers came from the prior prior owner.
That's cool. Zack put it on there 3-4 years ago at GSMTR! Congrats on the truck

Welcome and I hope 38 isn't officially old now:). I left mine out one really cold night in the single digits and noticed a small leak after starting it. After it warmed up all was ok and no issues since thankfully. Hope to meet ya sometime.

I think I put everything but the ACC and smoking gun sticker on.

I always kept an eye on fluids but one of the numerous downsides to not having a driveway/garage/slab to park on is that drips/leaks can go unnoticed.

:popcorn:

I'm cruising the site today and thought I'd give a quick update on the 80. I've had it for over 5 months and it's doing great.

I have a slight brake fluid leak at the rear banjo bolt, where the line attaches to the caliper. I just posted a thread looking for that bolt, as I can't find one anywhere(I may have to start calling random salvage yards). The brakes need fixing all around, so I ordered new rotors and pads for all 4 corners. I'm on the fence as to whether I bite the bullet and do the front hubs as well. It looks like it would be a few more hours on each corner while I'm doing the brakes, maybe a few more since this is my first rodeo, but I believe I've watched enough videos to have it figured out. They look ok, no noticeable gear fluid build up, but I have no idea if they have ever been done and the truck has 252k on it, can't hurt. Any feedback?? (should I at least replace the bearings while I have them out or not mess with anything that's not broken yet?)

The power steering box is leaking and will need to be fixed, along with a hose replaced. I don't have the time to replace the seals and recondition the box myself. Should I get a remanned one or hit up the yard??

Everything else has worked itself out. I can't find any sign of a coolant leak anymore and it doesn't leak any oil from what I can tell.

Everyone have fun in HS this weekend, hopefully I'll be a full fledged member next year and make the trip south. I'm loving the 80 so far, and if I could drop a diesel in and get better mileage(we all have dreams), I'd never drive anything else.

The front brakes, pads and rotors don't have 20k on them. I replaced them in 13, maybe even calipers. I don't remember. What I took off was shot. Unevenly worn, the pads weren't lined up with the rotors. I don't know what caused that, but if it happeed again you will have to do some digging to figure out why its eating up brakes.

I didn't rebuild the axle because I had a factory locked front end I was going to swap in. If you are servicing the axle I would replace the bearings.

I shouldn't have sold this truck. What i replaced it with s*** its transmission. So now I'm back with a car payment.

Don't piss off the cruiser gods.

The front brakes seem ok, the rears are grinding. I bought front and rears because it was cost effective. I'll probably do the rears now, since they are fairly easy, and do the fronts later and do the axles as well. If I do the axles, I'll definitely replace the bearings, I was really wondering about replacing the bearings if I don't do the axles and just do the brakes.

It's a great truck, you're not getting it back!! lol Sorry to hear of your bad luck, hopefully your car karma will even out since you gave me a pretty good ride for a good deal. I'm trying to take good care of this thing. All I've done so far is replace the belts, change some fluids, and put a Yakima rack on top. Next up is rear brakes and power steering stuff and I should be good for some time.

Those banjo's seal by using copper washers (common failure). Those are fairly easy to find at the right part store. Get close to the same thickness and diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom