New here; need advice on possible fj40 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm in the same boat. I bought a complete driver for $5k from upstate NY. It drove okay, but all but two of the body mounts were shot. $12k in parts and $8k in labor later, I've got a daily driver that I love, but still constantly needs upkeep. I really wasn't and am not in a financial position to be a fj40 owner, but I'm committed now. Also realize that anything that does work is 30+ years old and will need to be fixed. Whatever you do, good luck.

Hi Team,

I agree with everything that my very first choice would be to buy one for $30k. I was also thinking of going for one that is around 5k that is driveable. My issue here is that I probably am undiagnosed with OCD and just see myself tearing it down and rebuilding it from scratch. I have noticed in the past that when I pick up other peoples projects that it makes more sense for me to start each component over versus trusting the previous persons mechanical skills. I don't mean this to just automotive projects but pretty much any walk of life. My sprinkler system needs a frame off restoration because of the previous owners creativity in sprinkler design.

My logic is that if I spend $2k versus $5k, I'm starting in the same place which would be to get down to the frame and build up from there. It'd be a cheaper entry point for me to get the frame/tub/block and start from there. That being said I can see the other expenses of using parts from the $5K model being "better" than the $2k model. I'm trying to find a break even logic that I could come out ahead somehow by getting the cheaper model and fixing it to recoup the difference of $3k when its all said and done with.

Something that has been helpful and sobering is a video series I have been watching on youtube that is a resto project from start to finish. I can't remember the title but its Restoration FJ40 1978- Barn Cruiser.

Taro,

Thank you for some perspective. You said there is an ongoing maintenance, what do you mean by that? Small things breaking here and there or what could I expect? In my perfect world when I'm all the way done I wouldn't expect anything to go wrong since its new or been reconditioned.

. My logic is that if I spend $2k versus $5k, I'm starting in the same place which would be to get down to the frame and build up from there. It'd be a cheaper entry point for me to get the frame/tub/block and start from there. That being said I can see the other expenses of using parts from the $5K model being "better" than the $2k model. I'm trying to find a break even logic that I could come out ahead somehow by getting the cheaper model and fixing it to recoup the difference of $3k when its all said and done with.

This makes sense if you know the difference from a $2k and $5k FJ40. Pair that with the fact that people value things different than I do. To me a $5k cruiser would have significantly less body rust than a $2k, as well as being pretty original. With that said alot of guys will put a $5k price tag on a $2k FJ40 (again this is my opinion) because they did some shoddy bodywork and paint (AKA lipstick on a pig), or did some BS mod like a shackle lift and new tires.

To me, that cruiser you posted is worth $2k. If you get it I would suggest sinking a little cash into getting it running and have fun with it for a couple months.

If you want it get it bro, I inherited mine and my wife's grandfather is riddled w/ cancer and after brakes a fresh motor and steering addressed gave him a ride and that's all worth it for me. I love these 40's they ate a lot of work but in do time you'll have the way you want it and I say go for it, just pace yourself. Just my two cents. Good luck

I got my first cruiser when I was 15 against all advice. Now, 28 years later and more than a dozen Cruisers down the track, I'm still driving Cruisers. Yes, they take money and work, but I can now do most things from memory. Any car costs money. My new dodge ram costs money but it's dull as dishwater to drive and if it breaks I need a dealer with super computer to fix it. When my Cruiser breaks I only usually need my Leatherman and a hammer.

Find a decent cruiser but don't go into debt for it. Remember that it's a toy and not an investment and be willing to get dirty while you learn how to be self-sufficient with it. Above all, be patient and don't jump on the first rig you drive.

Hi Team,

I agree with everything that my very first choice would be to buy one for $30k. I was also thinking of going for one that is around 5k that is driveable. My issue here is that I probably am undiagnosed with OCD and just see myself tearing it down and rebuilding it from scratch. I have noticed in the past that when I pick up other peoples projects that it makes more sense for me to start each component over versus trusting the previous persons mechanical skills. I don't mean this to just automotive projects but pretty much any walk of life. My sprinkler system needs a frame off restoration because of the previous owners creativity in sprinkler design.

My logic is that if I spend $2k versus $5k, I'm starting in the same place which would be to get down to the frame and build up from there. It'd be a cheaper entry point for me to get the frame/tub/block and start from there. That being said I can see the other expenses of using parts from the $5K model being "better" than the $2k model. I'm trying to find a break even logic that I could come out ahead somehow by getting the cheaper model and fixing it to recoup the difference of $3k when its all said and done with.

Something that has been helpful and sobering is a video series I have been watching on youtube that is a resto project from start to finish. I can't remember the title but its Restoration FJ40 1978- Barn Cruiser.

If this is the goal, and you don't mind a long re-build process, then your best bet is to find someone who has already torn down a cruiser and has it sitting in parts. Lots of people start with grand plans of a frame off and then get frustrated with the job, or something else comes up after they do the tear down.

If you can find someone who gave up on a frame off, and they have most of the major parts, then you can expect to save quite a bit of money over a running cruiser, and you can build it your way. The key there is going to be that you know what is there and what is missing, and you have a realistic budget for whatever may be missing. Also consider things like the cost to get new bolts, tools, and paying (or doing it yourself) services such as powdercoating/sandblasting/painting/engine work.

Well right now, mine is running well in 2wd, but this is my current issue list: most recently, I was out in Big Cypress next to the Everglades and developed a groan when pushing and letting off of the throttle in 4wd high in 3rd and 4th gears (it doesn't do it in 4wd-low or 2wd; the t-case is original), I'm starting to blow out headlights, my original steering box is leaking and needs to be rebuilt, my tie-rod ends need new boots because someone put weights on the inside of my rims, my horn is shorting out at the steering column, my rear main seal is leaking even after a shop replaced it (now clutch judders at times), my relatively newly painted body is rusting in spots and cracking in other spots, I need a new fuel tank (I'm needing to change fuel filters every two to three months), my compression on cylinder #4 is a bit low, and i just lost low speed on my heater blower. I just replaced my water pump and fan clutch. I used to think that Toyota build quality was immune to problems, but now I know that everything wears out eventually. But I do love driving it :)

Team,

The latest update I have is it looks like I am going to pass on the original one that I posted pics of. The seller started acting fishy so I decided to take my money and run. I have now put this money in a secret hiding place and am going to keep my eye peeled for good deals on land cruisers.

Pavie,
I think this is a great idea which is to find someone who tried to do the project and gave up. I like this because I think some people would like to just unload the project and may go cheaper. I know in any project I pick up there will be missing parts so I'll make sure to account for whats missing and make sure I'm getting a good deal.

Hello Daito,,,,,,,,,Try and find this for the least amount $$$$ possible: 1) No Cancer Rust ( surface rust ok ). 2) Compression on original F or 2F engine = 145 - 150 psi across the board. 3) All original parts with nothing missing. 4) EVERYTHING working properly.
If you accomplish this goal you will have found a great 1st Land Cruiser. FJFJFJ.

Daito,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Forgot to mention three other important things: 5) All Original Paint, never painted since factory. 6) No Dents, no Bondo. 7) Clean Title.

FJFJFJ

fjfjfj,

Thank you for the tips. The one that I was pretty sure I'd get right was the title, the others are items to check out while I'm making the purchase.

Hello Daito,,,,,,,,,If your able to achieve everything on that list for a good price ( UNDER $8K ) then you will never lose money on the cruiser if you leave it in all original condition ( NOT repainted ). My opinion is, whenever I find an original factory painted Land Cruiser I most of the time NEVER repaint them unless I want to restore them completely. All factory original paint, no mods, are the most sought after as you know. They are also the coolest in my opinion. Rare birds but not impossible to find. Good luck. Post pics when you find your new cruiser. Happy hunting. FJFJFJ

Along with all the other great advice, IMHO, the most important thing you need is patience.

I agree with WARPDRIV. Patience and constant persistence, keep checking everywhere on Craigslist, all over the Western United States and don't be afraid to pick up the phone and track down a good Mobile Mechanic in or close to the City that you find your cruiser in. You can't be "eyes everywhere" but you can hire eyes for about $100 once you quiz the cruiser owner completely. It all has to be done quickly though. Plan to take some risks. It's worth it if you can widen your search scope. fjfjfj.

I'm on my 3rd FJ40, a rookie on this board. My first cruiser I bought for around your budget, and thought I'd learn and get her on the road. Two years later finally sold it and never drove her on the road. Next one I paid $4000, drove it then dumped money into her but she was a bondo queen (previous owner) with a crappy frame. My latest I spent far more for, but its original paint and I drive her every chance I get, haven't put a dime into her other than a few upgrades and its been almost 3 years.

Be patient and look daily for ones that pop up online. Eventually u'll find one but for 2k I doubt it with the prices going up recently.

Good luck with your search...just know hidden gems are out there. I think I did alright when I picked up mine...drove it home 50 miles and everything works well...paid $2100. I went in with the intention of doing a resto job, but wanted to do one for the best price possible. That means doing a lot of work on your own. I've never done anything like this before...did my research, used MUD, local clubs and several webpages to get me through the process...nearly 3 years. If you can do the work yourself...you save tons. Just keep looking, decide what you want to do, how much time and money you want to put into it, and do your homework. kyle-landcruiser.blogspot.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom