New here - looking to buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, new guy here from NJ. Looking into a 80 or 100 series as a second car for my family and possible first car for our son.

I came across one about 90 minutes away from me that looks to be very clean.

211k miles
Current owner has had for 2 years
Exhaust recently replaced and 48 point inspection done by Toyota dealer, every item passed.

I have attached some photos, would like if anyone could share feedback on the photos and what value you would put on it.

I appreciate this help and thank all in advance.

Best,
RJ

lc9.jpg

lc8.jpg

lc7.jpg

lc6.jpg

lc5.jpg

Looks very clean for a north east truck. Can you share the asking price?
Thanks for the feedback, that's what i am seeing when comparing to others out there.

Really curious, as I am new to these, what would be an acceptable range? I'll absolutely share.

Much would depend on what maintenance history come with the truck but i am thinking you would be looking at somewhere in the $10-15k range.

Edit: I should add that i would never pay that for the truck but i wouldn't class myself a typical purchaser.

Much would depend on what maintenance history come with the truck but i am thinking you would be looking at somewhere in the $10-15k range.
There isn't much in the form of history, he has what he's done in 2 years which is oil changes and a new exhaust. that is it.

He is asking mid 13's and if it checks out in person, I would shoot to settle at 12.

any other feedback, thoughts, concerns? all is appreciated.

I bought a 94 with 205k miles and cloth interior for $13,500 this past month. Meticulously maintained and never been off road. That should be a great comparable for you.

This site helps see the current market values based on actual sales not asking price.

Those dealer 48 point inspections never reveal much. They missed that your Birfields are in need of service and I bet the heater valve is turning light brown and maybe the radiator too. Most Toyota techs these days have no experience with solid axles and obd1. Other than that it looks like a good specimen of average mileage for the year. Price is in line with current pricing so it seems like a solid deal. Just be prepared to spend another $1-3k in baselining after purchase depending on your mechanical skills. They all need baselining after 30 years so expect this one to need it too. Interior looks good. White is a highly sought color. Good luck with the purchase and welcome!

Those dealer 48 point inspections never reveal much. They missed that your Birfields are in need of service and I bet the heater valve is turning light brown and maybe the radiator too. Most Toyota techs these days have no experience with solid axles and obd1. Other than that it looks like a good specimen of average mileage for the year. Price is in line with current pricing so it seems like a solid deal. Just be prepared to spend another $1-3k in baselining after purchase depending on your mechanical skills. They all need baselining after 30 years so expect this one to need it too. Interior looks good. White is a highly sought color. Good luck with the purchase and welcome!
thanks, purchase is still up in the air. appreciate everyone's help not being an owner yet.

Why would you buy an old, 10 - 13mpg vehicle, with no airbags, for your son, during a pandemic that's sending prices into the stratosphere?

He's safer in a more modern vehicle with well-engineered crumple zones and airbags out the wazoo. And his wallet will certainly appreciate the improved fuel economy.

I think a Subaru Outback or a Honda CR-V or Toyota Rav4 would be a much better first car for a teen. That 80 Series is really heavy and thirsty, and is best for off-roading and as a hobby vehicle. Just my two cents.
That particular 80 looks nice, I might add. Cloth interior (gray, at that), and white exterior is very sought after.

@newguynj any updates? did you end up getting the truck?
i ended up passing. i asked for more photos of anything worth calling out and there were 3-4 spots of body rust (past paint bubbling) and i really didn't want to get into correcting that.

I appreciate everyone's advice and feedback.

i ended up passing. i asked for more photos of anything worth calling out and there were 3-4 spots of body rust (past paint bubbling) and i really didn't want to get into correcting that.

I appreciate everyone's advice and feedback.
I'd keep your eyes open for a 100 series, Lexus GX470 or even a Sequoia. They have more safety features and are a bit more refined" perhaps more suited to the needs of your family, and generally aren't as "collectible" as 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom