New here. just picked up a 96 cruiser and was looking for suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks! I just picked up a 96 with approximately 248k. I got it for my kid and we will be working on it togther. Looking forward to the project and working on it with him on it. With that being said there are lot of maintance items that need to be addressed and im not really sure what would be the smartest place to start. So far the list and or the things we need to do it are:

Change tie rods (parts are ordered planing on doing this saturday.)
Both nuckels
Oil pump gasket and main seal ( slightly leaking)
Suspension I think has never been changed. How do you know if coil springs are bad?

What order would you being doing these end?

At 40 mph and above the steering is pretty sloppy and it feels like it could easily get out of control if the wrong bump was hit. Im assuming this is suspension but not really sure. All four tie rods are garabage thats why im replacing those first

Just looking for advice so I dont make a miilion mistakes.

Thanks for any responses

cruiser.jpg

cruiser2.jpg

Take no offense. Read the FAQ in the 80 series forum. Plenty of info. Use google to search mud. Search “baselining an 80 series”

This, and promptly remove that damage multiplier from the front, as per official MUD rules & regulations 😜
The "damage multiplier" he is referring to the brush guard over the grill. The FAQ will take you very far per your questions. Welcome.

Welcome.
My order....I'm sure I'm forgeting a few things....
Replace the things that will fry the motor or leave you high and dry ie PHH, the heater control valve, old brittle hoses etc, replace the fuseable link (keep the old one as a spare).
CHECK YOUR NUTS (search that up)...these are the four nuts at the bottom of each knuckle, these are notorious for loosening up over time, they WILL ruin your day if they do one way or another. Steering...yes, check that out many threads. Jack up and see if there's any wiggle in the wheel bearings.
Move onto the next things that are annoying or old, but won't leave you stranded. Change T case, transmission, oil, flush rad. See if your diff breathers are working or clogged. PCV valve and gasket, and the two hoses.
Assume that your Charcoal canister is going on a permanent vacation.
Look at your braking system, old cracked brake lines, pads, etc. E brake prob needs to be adjusted. Grease the drive shaft.
Check your belts that they are NOT toothed belts, only OEM v belts. Toothed belts will make a lot of noise and hassle.
Plugs, plug gaslets, wires, distro cap and pointer, and maybe distro seal.
Then move onto the dripping, leaking things, then suspension/bushings etc...Valve cover seal, and if your feeling good about your life do the fuel filter.
Get the rebuild kit for the starter, alternator and PS pump....
Fix the wiggly side view mirrors.
Then start bolting on the fun stuff...

At least one good set of 6 ton jack stands is a must. Stay safe at all times.
Drive it around town for a bit, make sure you want to keep it and that the motor or trans doesn't go out on you before you pour a bunch of funds or sweat equity into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom