New Here! FJ60 5.7L TBI rig/ A/C ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How yall doin! I managed to finally buy my dream FJ60 this last Saturday. From a very happy previous owner excited to see someone of my generation looking and longing to learn what's necessary here.

In my college days I wanted one of the older J10 pickups or Jeep Cherokee Chiefs from the 70s, but the more I read the more foolish that looked to be. In my research I found the FJ60 Cruisers to be to my liking and my love of Circular Headlights!. With prayer and whatever God calls luck I was able to sell my truck and purchase this beast from a man willing to wait 5 months for me. A true tribute to the community here I am sure.

I am a civil engineer here in Austin, TX, one of the few natives here that wants to remind the tourists they are still in Texas AKA the South. I'm looking for help, advice and Ideas from you fine Ladies and Gentlemen.

I've got a 250k mile transmission and a 10k mile rebuilt 350 TBI motor powering me. I've already had to address slave clutch leaking issues this morning HAHA. My knowledge will need thorough expansion in the coming years but my first issue is as follows:

I have no air conditioning, 0 , non, nine! The previous owner had the idea of a battery powered unit as it already has dual batteries, a badass alternator, and overkill for a radiator for the Texas Summer. I'm waiting to get a reminder on the 8000 BTU 3 inch roof mounted unit he was thinking of using, but that was the idea. The kind of unit you find on the roof of large bulldozers and such.

But before I go to a shop for their opinion I'm happy to hear from any of yall. I like the hassle free battery powered unit idea, but not the cutting a hole in the roof part. Maybe a model sitting on the floor? IDK.

But I also am open to the conventional A/C system being installed as well, if I can do a number of things to make it cost effective for me to do as much as I can before I get a mechanic involved.

Thanks
Wade

IMG_1045.JPG

Nice rig! Is the evaporator still in place under the dash on the passenger side? If so, I'd source brackets to mount a GM compressor to your engine, use an aftermarket parallel-flow condenser and drier, then have the hoses custom made to fit. If you don't have the OE evaporator, then look into using a kit from Old Air Parts or Vintage Air.

Nice rig! Is the evaporator still in place under the dash on the passenger side? If so, I'd source brackets to mount a GM compressor to your engine, use an aftermarket parallel-flow condenser and drier, then have the hoses custom made to fit. If you don't have the OE evaporator, then look into using a kit from Old Air Parts or Vintage Air.

Ill have to check on that evaporator, but thank for the reply!

Very nice truck and welcome to MUD :flipoff2: <--- Official MUD Welcome

Give us some shots of the engine bay so we know what we are dealing with. Easiest solution is going to take a standard SBC 350 AC unit and mount it up and get things moving. But depends on what is still attached.

Bitchin rig man! Im a huge sucker for V8 60s, I think they should all be swapped to either V8s or factory Diesels. My old rig had GM compressor and dryer system plumbed into the OEM stuff behind the dash. It ran off the OEM toyota condenser too. There is room and it had a home brew bracket off the side of a custom fan shroud.

when you do pull the fan shroud cut it in half. best free mod ever for the motor

Here's some pics of her sexy parts and an interior shot. I've got a new seat cushion form specter off road on the way to help the ride and I got some sexy cloth seat covers for both fronts and the bench coming too. Ill post those when they arrive. Its all part of the first step to making it less horrible looking to me and my girlfriend that is still questioning why I bought such an old truck no matter how much I explain how much of a steal it was at $8,400 with only tiny rust on the tailgate and nowhere else.
I'm going to look into installing a factory GM system, I hate the idea of cutting a hole in my roof.

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

Looks like I may have your solution (and it's for sale!):
For Sale: - FS: FJ60 - Custom A/C lines for V8 swap + serpentine setup

I just took this whole setup off my SBC-swapped FJ60 (I recently put in a Gen III Vortec motor).

You'd need a Toyota condensor and a new drier...plus the 2 factory hoses mentioned in the FS ad...but I think your current water pump and alternator might work (once you put on the serpentine brackets). This would be 90% of the parts you need, anyway.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but I believe all the small block Chevy stuff is interchangeable.

Take a look, and let me know.

- Brian

K... you are SOOOOOO showing you are from Cali with the HELLA!!!
I'm willing to try and improve Cali Texas relations by being civil yes lol. I may be in Austin but one of my vehicles goals it to remind the new people Austin is still Texas

I'm willing to try and improve Cali Texas relations by being civil yes lol. I may be in Austin but one of my vehicles goals it to remind the new people Austin is still Texas
Meh.... K is a gun toting Californian... If nothing else he would move there specifically so he wouldn't have to deal with the magazine laws.. One of the great things about living in NV... open carry and no magic magazine button!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom