New here and of course with a problem looking for answers. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1980 FJ40 with a five cylinder diesel swap. The steering box just forward of the fire wall had to be improperly mounted due to the starter motor not allowing clearance. The pictures should tell the story. Is there a starter out the that is smaller in diameter maybe by an inch or so?

4F47B96D-BED4-4CE5-BD6C-CFFD02C0662F.jpeg

3C0EEF34-B647-4691-859A-9427168CD44A.jpeg

B028880F-2D57-49EA-BA20-F3A290A11B7A.jpeg

1AF7660E-0220-4B13-ADEF-667B39956EB1.jpeg

15A9A0C2-5B37-47FB-8C6E-2B8C08634E24.jpeg

Welcome to Mud.
Maybe a little more info would be helpful. Whats the back story on your rig? Which engine? US spec or from some other country?
I might be easier to look at a different PS setup.

Damn! Look into doing a FJ60/80 power steering box conversion then sell your 40 series ps box to recoup some of the cost. The way it is mounted now is ridiculously unsafe, you're literally betting your life on the 2 bolts holding the box on whenever you drive it.

You could look into a gear reduction starter (they are sometimes smaller) for the engine, but a lot depends on what engine it is.

Like @cruiserkev said, it might be better to look into converting to an FJ60/80 steering box that mounts further forward on the frame.

1PZ engine?
did you just buy this?
there are lots of other issues just from the few pics you posted.
as stated above, don't drive it until this is reworked
probably will need a fan shroud
how is the throttle cable hooked up?
looks like the steering shaft is right up against the side of the bracket in the firewall

IMHO I would bring it to a Landcruiser specific shop near by to have them go thru the rig and give you a report

not sure how this would help with the OP's situation
It replaces the whole column and does not use the hydraulics allowing the removal of the pump that caused all of this in the first place. I am believing that it would work, unless that starter ,engine combo is just not designed for an FJ40.

It replaces the whole column and does not use the hydraulics allowing the removal of the pump that caused all of this in the first place. I am believing that it would work, unless that starter ,engine combo is just not designed for an FJ40.

The steering box has obviously been moved out some. A solid column was replaced with U joints to allow the box to be moved. For a solid shaft to line up the steering box would have to move closer the starter.

The steering box has obviously been moved out some. A solid column was replaced with U joints to allow the box to be moved. For a solid shaft to line up the steering box would have to move closer the starter.

The electric does not use that box. Whole box goes and the bulk goes away. Look a City Racer site and looks real clean to me.

Elec steer.JPG

The electric does not use that box. Whole box goes and the bulk goes away. Look a City Racer site and looks real clean to me.

View attachment 2818148

Also to be clear the pictures showing the universal joints is not a stock setup. The engine transplant is the reason it's been modified. Can't help but think the steering box has moved a little further outside the frame. To use the electric steering column a manual box would need to move back to the stock location.

View attachment 2818148
The Electric conversion will still need the manual box which would still put the OP in the same position he is in now. The manual box is as big as the power box so it wouldn't work.
(When I first saw the post, without looking at the pics that was my first thought also.)

The Electric conversion will still need the manual box which would still put the OP in the same position he is in now. The manual box is as big as the power box so it wouldn't work.
(When I first saw the post, without looking at the pics that was my first thought also.)
Thanks for that. I was unsure if that box came out or not. I did another look and since this is a 1980, things are a bit different than my old FJ40 work.

Thanks for that. I was unsure if that box came out or not. I did another look and since this is a 1980, things are a bit different than my old FJ40 work.

The third and fourth pictures in the original post show the steering box has been moved further outside the frame. No FJ40 ever used universal joints between the steering wheel and steering box.

the column is not the problem,
the 1PZ was never in a 40 series rig from the factory, not even sure the engine was made while the 40 series was still in production

As stated before if there’s a gear reduction starter, you may be able to loose the universals and return the box to on top of the pedestal where it belongs. The steering shaft inside the column also looks chopped up.

I agree with others, don’t drive it until you have had it thoroughly inspected by a skilled & competent mechanic. One familiar with cruisers would be better, but not a modern technician who only knows how to change parts the computer tells them are broken.

If it were mine I’d likely go Scout II, 60/70/80 Toyota P/S and sell those parts for $$$. Here are a few pictures that I have handy. The first two are mine, and the others I have saved for reference. It’s Scout steering, but Toyota boxes mount the same.
0DD5A713-3081-4D78-9FD5-8EDA3C517AC4.jpeg
E6DB054C-D3B5-4B20-A905-4D3D9999DEE6.jpeg
2C3FFC1B-28A0-490B-9264-4F0FBB7FF546.jpeg
D7F68F83-9DE9-4B14-91C2-301FCFAEA2C9.jpeg
092E822D-4E99-43B6-94DB-B940FAD6B6D7.jpeg

The 4 bolt box in the mix is a Toyota box, I don’t know them well enough to know if it’s a 60, 70, or 80 box.

Can tell the heat shield is missing from the steering box. Certainly would drive using only two bolts out of four mounting it to the pedestal. Casting cracks for one bolts the other would crack even easier with all the steering components on a single point. Even if a smaller gear reduction starter was available for this engine doubt you would gain enough room to move the steering box back the original location and had room for the heat shield. Different steering with just a column in that location would be your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom