New headlights needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dieseldog

She idles just fine . . .
GOLD Star
Threads
My two 70-series trucks each have headlights patterned for Japan/UK. They are H4 units with replaceable bulbs. On my '93, it is the rectangular units--one on each side. On my '88, it is the round units. Anybody have an idea where I can source proper replacements? FWIW, I have already tried to install sealed-beam rectangulars in the '93; however, they are not a proper fit. I think I need a Euro-spec H4 for a LHD vehicle. Comments, anyone?

Hello Guys,

I am dealing with the light issues right now.
From what I understand, either DOT or SAE markings are acceptable.

dieseldog,
If the headlights you have are the right size, but just have different tabs, maybe you can mod your truck to accept them. Then if they ever brake you would have an easier time replacing them. Or try contacting Mot. he is looking into getting me euro spec lights for my truck. Then I should have DOT and SAE markings, but still keep the my fog lights.

Stone,
From what I understand your should be okay with just SAE on the lights.
You could always check with your local CVSE office. I doubt they would make trouble with you, since you're going down to make sure your conforming to the law. But from what I have been told you should be okay.

Take a read of this guys. This is what we have to conform too:
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle_inspections/PDF/Bulletin_02-06_Imported_Vehicles.pdf

Apparently both of your trucks have meet most of the critera on this list. We are exempt from the CAT because we are diesels. If your truck is before 1990 you dont need running lights. But from what I have been told every vehicle after 1987 needs a high mount stop lamp. But from my reseach I have found they were mandatory after 1993. Take alook at any pre 93 4runner or LC, they don't have them.

From what I found it was not law until 1993, but they changed it (at a later date) to make it every year. And now because we have new imported trucks (new to Canada anyway) we need to conform even though we are older than 93. I am going to talk to my local CVSE guys, just to make sure.

It does not make sense to me. If your pre 1990 trucks don't need running lights, then why do we need high mount brake lights because we are all pre 1993? I am going to dig deeper on this. We might have to conform, but it's worth a shot. I would rather not mod my truck this way. I am going to present this to them and see what they say.

Stone, maybe after I am finished going through all this I can make a new thread with what I have learnt. Then you could add the thread to the FAQ in the internation section.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think I might just find what I need in that Hella catalogue.

Ok, update here.
I spoke with my local CVSE and either DOT or SAE markings are acceptable.
They can have both, but they don't need too.

I also presented him with what I found about the rear high mount stop lamp. He is going to dig into it. According to his book anything 1987 or newer needs them. He has no date about 1993 anywhere, but he sees it on the website. I also mentioned about lots of vehicles that are 1993 and before that don't have them. He is going to do some digging and see what he can find. We will see what happens?

Cheers,
Nick

if he digs deep enough he will find this ruling only applys to passenger vehciles...ie cars...

crushers said:
if he digs deep enough he will find this ruling only applys to passenger vehciles...ie cars...

Sorry wayne, not trying to argue here, but according to the regs it applies to all.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/mvstm_tsd/tsd/1080rev3_e.htm
Section: S5.1.1.27

Transport Canada said:
Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, each passenger car, and each multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus whose overall width is....

Please don't hate me here.
It seems as though all the cruisers coming in do have to meet a lot of these regs. I am working on the stop lamp one. I don't really want to cut into my wiring harness more than I have too. I would like it if I didn't have to do anything, but unforchanatly that is not the case.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Nick:

The high-mount third brake light is no big deal...you don't have to cut into any wiring harness. Go to Crappy Tire and buy a pack of wire taps and tap your third brake into one of the pre-existing brake lights. Done.

dieseldog said:
Thanks guys. I think I might just find what I need in that Hella catalogue.

My Hella lenses have the SAE stamp on it, but not the DOT. I don't want to spread the word, because it's illegal...but I do have the 90/100W Hella 24V H4's in them. I have taken great care to aim them properly, however, and I haven't had any oncoming traffic flash me in protest yet.

Dieseldog: If you are having problems tracking down the proper set, shoot me an email if I can help you out. We have the Bosch and Hella kits readily available here, and all you have to do is switch out the bulbs to 24V.

Stone: My lights aren't 24V. The '88 has a 24V electrical system; however, the lights are 12V (just like my '84 BJ-42). My '93 is 12V all the way. I'll look into placing some orders and will know soon enough how it comes out. Oh, and BTW, I never worry too much about the SAE or DOT stamps. I'm like you . . . . I take great care aiming and no one bothers me.

90/100W heads, 100W fog and aux high beam aimed proper, no-one cares, everyone drives around with thier highs on all the time anyway... It's the 24V R5W bulbs that are a real PIA to get down here.

Stone said:
My Hella lenses have the SAE stamp on it, but not the DOT. I don't want to spread the word, because it's illegal...but I do have the 90/100W Hella 24V H4's in them. I have taken great care to aim them properly, however, and I haven't had any oncoming traffic flash me in protest yet.

Just done the same works great after adjustment!!

Good call

GB

But from what I have been told every vehicle after 1987 needs a high mount stop lamp. But from my reseach I have found they were mandatory after 1993. Take alook at any pre 93 4runner or LC, they don't have them.

From what I found it was not law until 1993, but they changed it (at a later date) to make it every year. And now because we have new imported trucks (new to Canada anyway) we need to conform even though we are older than 93. I am going to talk to my local CVSE guys, just to make sure.

The inspector I spoke to said these are only required if originally fitted before 1993. They can't really ask you to fit something that is not required on NA market vehicles for the same year...it was obvious to both of us from the wording. The fact that an inspector would be unsure about this is not encouraging. Obviously you cannot rely on an inspector fully understanding the regs. It's $25. for a copy fo the Inspection Standards at Driver Services. I'm picking mine up today.

Last edited:
when will these people get it right, this is not a RIV unit. it is a JDM imported after the 15 year ruling.
BTW for your information even RIV units are exempt under the 15 year ruling:
<quote>

SECTION 2 - GENERAL
VEHICLE TYPES ADMISSIBLE INADMISSIBLE NOTES

All vehicles (except buses) FIFTEEN YEARS OLD OR OLDER. All are admissible.
Notes.
Importer must be able to prove vehicle is fifteen (15) years old or older determined by month and year of manufacture.

Excerpts from Canada Border Services Agency document “Importing A Vehicle Into Canada”

Importing a Vehicle
Into Canada
RC4140(E) Rev. 05

The information in this publication was accurate when we at the Canada Border Services Agency published it. However, legislative provisions and requirements can change at any time. We make every effort to provide timely updates.

Introduction
If you plan to import a vehicle into Canada, it has to comply with all Canadian import laws. The vehicle must meet the requirements of the CBSA, Transport Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency before it can be imported.
Note
Transport Canada defines a vehicle as any vehicle that is capable of being driven or drawn on roads,by any means other than muscular power exclusively, but does not run exclusively on rails. Trailers, such as recreational, camping, boat, horse, and stock trailers, are considered vehicles, as are wood chippers, generators, or any other equipment mounted on rims and tires.

RIV program exemptions
You can import a vehicle from the United States WITHOUT REGISTERING it into the RIV program if the vehicle is:

FIFTEEN YEARS OLD OR OLDER(excludes buses). You determine the age of a vehicle by the month and year it was manufactured.
<end quote>

i am really getting tired of these people not even knowing their own laws and regulations.
HEY, IT IS 15 YEARS OLD, what is so hard to understand?!? read the above post, ALL imports over 15 years old are exempt from the RIV rules...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom